establishing surgery residency in us

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlue129

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering the option of a surgery sub-speciality such as orthopedics or plastics. Would it be wiser to attend, say, a DO school in the US versus St George's in the carribean if I want the option available later on?

Members don't see this ad.

GoBlue129 said:
I am considering the option of a surgery sub-speciality such as orthopedics or plastics. Would it be wiser to attend, say, a DO school in the US versus St George's in the carribean if I want the option available later on?

What kind of stats do you have?

marlin1 said:
What kind of stats do you have?
What difference do his stats make?

Basically, the OP is asking which is better for getting into surgery? DO or Caribbean?

Members don't see this ad :)
GoBlue129 said:

I think it is easier to establish residency if you go to a DO school. However, the specialties that you mentioned are very competitive so even from a DO school may be difficult. Either rout you choose to purse, I think it is possible for you to pursue what you like if you put your effort into it. Lets see what other people on SDN think about it.

GoBlue129 said:

There are 570 US residency spots per year in orthopedics and 77 in plastic surgery. 0.2% of ortho spots and 1.3% of plastics spots are filled by D.O.s. 1.4% and 1.3% respectively are filled by FMGs. If you have your heart set on either of these highly competitive specialties, you may want to consider delaying for a few years to do the post bac/MCAT prep necessary to get into an allopathic school. Others may have different advice/info.