Estimated Costs of Veterinary School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Like I said... the $8622 + $1692 (miscellaneous & personal) is what's projected to cover ALL of your non-school/non-health insurance expenses.

But yeah... $8622 for 9 months leaves $958/month. If you search craigslist for a room/share in fort collins you'll see that most listings are between $300-400/month plus utilities. It's very doable to find housing for $500 or less including utilities. That leaves over $450 for other things. That's more than enough to cover food, groceries, and a lot of car costs. If you have a roommate, even luxury 2 br/2 bath apartments can easily be found for $450-600/person + utilities.

During my firstyear, I paid a flat rate of $475/month in rent including ALL utilities. At the same time I earned $400-600 a month with my part-time jobs. So I ended up not using up my loans from first-semester, and had enough left over that I didn't even take out any for second-semester to cover living costs. I eat out a lot too, and am not thrifty when it comes to groceries. I also didn't use up all of books/supplies budget on school supplies so I had an extra thousand dollars or so to work with.
(Disclaimer: I used my savings to move in and get settled. I also used my savings + bf charities to pay for all of my airfare to go back and forth from Boston and for my trip home to Japan. So my loans + job money only paid for my day-to-day living costs while at school).

Thanks for being so responsive. I am getting the picture that these COA projections should not be taken literally as absolutes and instead with a grain of salt as loose indicators of what to expect. I am sure everyone's experience varies, except for the cost of things like tuition and books. Some people might opt to live in a house share with 3 others students. Others might demand their own penthouse apartment with a view of the repro barn. Cost of living will vary from city to city and prospective students would be wise to understand this when deciding where they would like to attend. This completes my obsessing over financial costs phase of the selection process. Next I will tackle the weather and best looking classmates component... :sleep:

Thanks again. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much putting all this together.

I just spoke with a veterinarian today and she warned me about the cost of test for out of country schools(such as the Caribbean schools). She told me that the final test cost $10,000. Is this true and what test was she referring to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much putting all this together.

I just spoke with a veterinarian today and she warned me about the cost of test for out of country schools(such as the Caribbean schools). She told me that the final test cost $10,000. Is this true and what test was she referring to?

Caribbean schools can be cheaper than going OOS in the USA. But it depends on how often you want to come back home b/c flights can be expensive.

That test is the PAVE (I think those are the right initials), and it must be taken by any graduate fron a non-AVMA accredited vet school. SGU & Ross are now both accredited so they simply take the same exams as any US graduate.

Caribbean schools can be cheaper than going OOS in the USA. But it depends on how often you want to come back home b/c flights can be expensive.

That test is the PAVE (I think those are the right initials), and it must be taken by any graduate fron a non-AVMA accredited vet school. SGU & Ross are now both accredited so they simply take the same exams as any US graduate.

There is also the ECFVG test which I've seen quoted at $7-8k on here. I'm not sure what the actual price is and I believe that one potentially has a waiting list to take it. At least that's what I've heard from vets. I found this list of payments for the PAVE. Honestly, I don't know much about either test because I have no intention of taking them, mainly because I've heard their ridiculously expensive and I will already be paying an arm and leg to go to vet school, so I really don't need to spend the additional money.

http://www.aavsb.org/PDF/PAVE/FeesPayment2011.pdf

From what I understand from being curious about the acronyms, the Veterinary Clinical Skills Assessment (the super expensive part) portion of PAVE is something you don't have to take if you take PAVE before you do clinics while in school and you can then use clinic evaluations to count towards clinical portion.

Here: http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/StandardsAndPolicies/#Experience

From what I understand from being curious about the acronyms, the Veterinary Clinical Skills Assessment (the super expensive part) portion of PAVE is something you don't have to take if you take PAVE before you do clinics while in school and you can then use clinic evaluations to count towards clinical portion.

Here: http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/StandardsAndPolicies/#Experience

Ah! Then that would definitely make the PAVE the cheaper option if your state accepts that test. I never really researched any of it, since that wasn't the route I was planning on taking.

Ah! Then that would definitely make the PAVE the cheaper option if your state accepts that test. I never really researched any of it, since that wasn't the route I was planning on taking.

What I posted above is definitely the extent of my knowledge on this (I don't even know which test is accepted by fewer states...)--not planning on going anywhere non-AVMA accredited (hoping to stay in US rather than UK/canada/carrib. for personal reasons).

I can clarify things.

The PAVE is a cheaper test about $1500 or so. It is a computer based exam and offered while the students are still taking classes from their main school. Typically this is taken before starting final year of clinics at a US/Canadian/UK/Australian clinical contract school. Down side is if you’re Canadian or from a state not accepting the PAVE you have to take the ECFVG.

ECFVG is given by the AVMA. This test has a written exam (computer based) but takes during your final year of clinics. Once you pass you take a 3 day practical exam that includes surgery, anesthesia, medicine (small, equine, and food animal), radiology, and necropsy. The practical is given at different testing centers in the US/Canada. This exam costs $8,000 but not all at once...it is based on sections (written, deposit, then final $4k before the practical). However, this grants you the option of getting licensed in any state and country.

The exams are not that bad. Many AVMA accredited students say they would not be able to pass the exam after they saw the rule book. The same goes for the clinicians I’ve talked to. I look at it like this....I’m going a little extra for things...but in the grand picture I’ve still done OK with expenses for school and the experience was outstanding. It’s all on an individual preference basis.

J

VIN has a good breakdown of ranks of costs of tuition. My alma mater was relatively LOW at over $100K for the loan own...not to mention what you will finally pay. Be aware. Be very aware.

VIN has a good breakdown of ranks of costs of tuition. My alma mater was relatively LOW at over $100K for the loan own...not to mention what you will finally pay. Be aware. Be very aware.

What is the difference between being aware and being very aware?

You've been a member here for a couple of months now, so I'm sure you're aware (very aware) at how very aware we are.

If I was choosing veterinary medicine because it was an easy path to take, I would have stopped the first day of undergraduate biology.

As far as Saskatoon not taking non-residents, I dunno. They list non-resident tuition. I'll check with them and see what the story is.

Canadian here, Saskatoon takes BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba residents plus the residents of the territories because it is provincially funded. As far as I know, WCVM does not take anyone else because of funding just like Guelph, Uni. Montreal, and AVC ( to a certain extent). I think AVC takes international/other Canadian provincal and US students and *share* spots for students from the Atlantic provinces due to funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian here, Saskatoon takes BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba residents plus the residents of the territories because it is provincially funded. As far as I know, WCVM does not take anyone else because of funding just like Guelph, Uni. Montreal, and AVC ( to a certain extent). I think AVC takes international/other Canadian provincal and US students and *share* spots for students from the Atlantic provinces due to funding.

AVC takes internationals, but no other Canadians. I think WCVM takes students from other Canadian provinces, but BC, AB, SK and MB get preference, so there's no real point in applying if you're from another province.

Question, random new question

In your opinion is it better to go to a school that offers interesting electives (specifically wildlife related) and research you want to do even if the school is expensive?

Or is it best to go to the schools that are decently priced and you find a way on your own to get the experience you want?

I heard that it was extremely hard to get financial aid/scholarships for vet school, that you pay mostly out of pocket. Is this true?

Thanks

AVC takes internationals, but no other Canadians. I think WCVM takes students from other Canadian provinces, but BC, AB, SK and MB get preference, so there's no real point in applying if you're from another province.

I could have been applying to a second vet school all this time? :p

According to their website, only residents of those areas can apply.

Question, random new question

In your opinion is it better to go to a school that offers interesting electives (specifically wildlife related) and research you want to do even if the school is expensive?

Or is it best to go to the schools that are decently priced and you find a way on your own to get the experience you want?

I heard that it was extremely hard to get financial aid/scholarships for vet school, that you pay mostly out of pocket. Is this true?

Thanks

Yes it is true. Scholarships that are more than a thousand or two here and there are very hard to come by. And even those aren't easy to get for many people.

I don't think electives are worth it for the added price tag, unless you are 100% sure you can make it worthwhile for yourself. Just remember that before your clinical years, many students don't have much time for dedicating to their interest areas. And I don't mean to discourage you but a large percentage of incoming students express interest in exotics/zoo/wildlife and that ends up being a pipe dream for the vast majority (even in schools with strong programs). You have two whole summers and elective rotations to do whatever you want to regardless of where you go! If you go to a school that's $50k cheaper overall, I'm sure you can use a little bit of that to even go to Africa or something over the summer and work in the veldt or something and still feel like you saved money!

Research depends on how serious you are about a veterinary research career, and how much of a benefit you will have by joining that particular research group you want to break into. If it's more of a self-enrichment thing, or a weeeelll maybe that would be cool kind of thing, probably not.

That's just my opinion though...

Yes it is true. Scholarships that are more than a thousand or two here and there are very hard to come by. And even those aren't easy to get for many people.

I don't think electives are worth it for the added price tag, unless you are 100% sure you can make it worthwhile for yourself. Just remember that before your clinical years, many students don't have much time for dedicating to their interest areas. And I don't mean to discourage you but a large percentage of incoming students express interest in exotics/zoo/wildlife and that ends up being a pipe dream for the vast majority (even in schools with strong programs). You have two whole summers and elective rotations to do whatever you want to regardless of where you go! If you go to a school that's $50k cheaper overall, I'm sure you can use a little bit of that to even go to Africa or something over the summer and work in the veldt or something and still feel like you saved money!

Research depends on how serious you are about a veterinary research career, and how much of a benefit you will have by joining that particular research group you want to break into. If it's more of a self-enrichment thing, or a weeeelll maybe that would be cool kind of thing, probably not.

That's just my opinion though...

Thanks for the advice/opening my eyes. Although, I am in West Africa right now (I'm in an REU program conducting conservation research, projects= whether food type affects the growth rate of the African armyworm and Danaid eggfly, but those are bugs haha.....couldn't work with any type of mammal :///)

So I am serious over having some sort of career that involves wildlife, but you made an excellent point! I could go to a cheaper school and gain experience on my own. So I think I'm going to drop LSU, Tufts, and Cornell from my list (my IS= Maryland) and shoot for NC State still (cheap and has some wildlife electives), but also keep VMRCVM as my number two and add/focus on the cheaper schools rather than the cool expensive ones :)

I'm also still going to check whether the expensive schools will allow you to change your residency after a year (found a few so far). Does anyone know if this is a relatively easy process? Or does it just depend on the state?

Thanks again!:)

Last edited:
I'm also still going to check whether the expensive schools will allow you to change your residency after a year (found a few so far). Does anyone know if this is a relatively easy process? Or does it just depend on the state?

Thanks again!:)

Depends on the state. When you're doing your research, pay attention to any talk that suggests residency rules may change in the future; VMR recently elected not to recognize residency at all (that is, if you come in as an OOS student, you continue paying as an OOS student, no matter what your driver's license says).

I think for the most part it's a year of living in the state (mostly for tax purposes), topped off by a change in driver's license to that state.

Or you could marry a state resident. =) That works too. ;)

Depends on the state. When you're doing your research, pay attention to any talk that suggests residency rules may change in the future; VMR recently elected not to recognize residency at all (that is, if you come in as an OOS student, you continue paying as an OOS student, no matter what your driver's license says).

I think for the most part it's a year of living in the state (mostly for tax purposes), topped off by a change in driver's license to that state.

Or you could marry a state resident. =) That works too. ;)

Bahaha thanks! Definitely going to look more into it. Specifically NC State and Missouri.....trying to find out if I can even switch my residency for Iowa and Wisconsin. (VMRCVM is my IS)

I also have another super opinionated question......How expensive is too expensive?

I have no clue how to figure this out honestly....I don't know where I would work let alone what state I would be working in during vet school......I decided to define anything beyond $100,000 as expensive (for all 4 years,....took into consideration whether you can be IS after the first year), but that kind of limited me a bit.

Advice? Already looked at the cumulative tuition pdf and cumulative cost of attendance pdf.

So I think I'm going to drop LSU, Tufts, and Cornell from my list.

Huh. I never really thought LSU to be all that expensive, OOS. But I just checked, and I've been looking at per SEMESTER cost for OOS (~$20K), thinking it was per YEAR OOS cost (~$40K).

Which makes perfect sense....seeing as I'm IS, and my tuition is just over $9k a semester....making my per year cost about $20K.

Derp. :smack:

Bahaha thanks! Definitely going to look more into it. Specifically NC State and Missouri.....trying to find out if I can even switch my residency for Iowa and Wisconsin. (VMRCVM is my IS)

I also have another super opinionated question......How expensive is too expensive?

I have no clue how to figure this out honestly....I don't know where I would work let alone what state I would be working in during vet school......I decided to define anything beyond $100,000 as expensive (for all 4 years,....took into consideration whether you can be IS after the first year), but that kind of limited me a bit.

Advice? Already looked at the cumulative tuition pdf and cumulative cost of attendance pdf.

How expensive is too expensive is such an immensely personal decision - there are people that will attend a school no matter what the cost, and people who simply won't go into debt for vet school. Most people are somewhere in between.

Personally: I hate hate hate the idea of being in debt, so I only applied to my in-state school my first time around. I probably would have branched out a little more during a second cycle if I hadn't gotten in, but would have selected my schools I applied to mainly on cost, not program or location. I simply can't fathom a 100k+ loan debt. I'm trying to keep it below 50k. I'm not willing to make several thousand dollar loan payments each month, and hate the idea of my loans curtailing my ability to specialize or travel.

Sorry for the late reply but I've been gone. NC State allows applying for reclassification to instate after first year. About 99% of those who apply get it. It makes a huge difference in the cost.

Is it honestly that easy? XD Like does basically everyone that applies gets it?

How expensive is too expensive is such an immensely personal decision - there are people that will attend a school no matter what the cost, and people who simply won't go into debt for vet school. Most people are somewhere in between.

Personally: I hate hate hate the idea of being in debt, so I only applied to my in-state school my first time around. I probably would have branched out a little more during a second cycle if I hadn't gotten in, but would have selected my schools I applied to mainly on cost, not program or location. I simply can't fathom a 100k+ loan debt. I'm trying to keep it below 50k. I'm not willing to make several thousand dollar loan payments each month, and hate the idea of my loans curtailing my ability to specialize or travel.

So I basically read this whole entire forum and then reread my questions and I feel like a tool.....I guess its just hard to comprehend the fact that I'll be paying for virtually everything......and it blows :/ so far definitely applying to my IS (VMRC), North Carolina, and Wisconsin..... (kinda thinking about Missouri....but I really don't want to live near/in the south) but I feel like 3 is so low :/ but I guess if I just work my but off to meet their requirements then I should be fine.

Thanks for answering my question!

So I basically read this whole entire forum and then reread my questions and I feel like a tool.....I guess its just hard to comprehend the fact that I'll be paying for virtually everything......and it blows :/ so far definitely applying to my IS (VMRC), North Carolina, and Wisconsin..... (kinda thinking about Missouri....but I really don't want to live near/in the south) but I feel like 3 is so low :/ but I guess if I just work my but off to meet their requirements then I should be fine.

Thanks for answering my question!

Just as a heads up Wisconsin is challenging to get accepted to as an OOS student. I totally applied cause I thought it was worth based on how much I would potentially save even in comparison to my IS. Since I got rejected and did a file review, I can give you the c/o 2016 class averages for GPA and whatnot in comparison to what I had to give you a better picture. PM me if you're interested.

...but I really don't want to live near/in the south)

It really, really, really isn't that bad. Really. The Heat is probably the worst part.

It's a bit muggy too.

(I just made a basketball joke - lulz)

But seriously, Missouri is nice. Don't shoot it down based on perception alone - at least come visit if you can?

It really, really, really isn't that bad. Really. The Heat is probably the worst part.

It's a bit muggy too.

But seriously, Missouri is nice. Don't shoot it down based on perception alone - at least come visit if you can?

I have fam in the south so I've been to Louisana, Texas, Georgia tons of times (not Missouri, I know XD). Idk....I just would rather stay relatively close to my immediate fam (maryland/virginia)....I'm still looking into Missouri, but I just can't really see myself there. I may visit.

Thanks for the opinion!

If it makes a difference, VMR is in the mountains, so the heat isn't too bad and there's very low humidity (especially compared with the rest of Virginia). =)

I could go on and on and on about the joys of Blacksburg (and I have, many a time; you'll probably stumble over my raves in some of the other threads ;) ), but we'll just stick with I effin' love this place.

It's a bit muggy too.

If it makes a difference, VMR is in the mountains, so the heat isn't too bad and there's very low humidity (especially compared with the rest of Virginia). =)

I could go on and on and on about the joys of Blacksburg (and I have, many a time; you'll probably stumble over my raves in some of the other threads ;) ), but we'll just stick with I effin' love this place.

Definitely noted! :)

This brings up a question I've had for quite some time... Is there any disadvantage to applying to only your IS? I'm a NJ resident now, but moving to NC next year. I intend to establish residency, and then apply to NCSU. I think similarly to you, Trilt, I'm taking every step humanly possible to avoid debt over 50k ( hence the move to NC ). The idea of a thousand dollar+ student loan payment is enough to scare me away from veterinary school altogether. If I never get into NCSU, I'll continue with my current career and satisfy my passion for animal care in other ways. Or, move again, establish residency in another low tuition state, and apply to that school as an IS. If I applied to schools other than NCSU and was accepted, I would not attend. So the obvious answer seem to be to only apply to NC. However, I read somewhere once that you should apply to at least two schools, that way your IS doesn't put you on the back burner on the assumption that " you'll always be there next year ". Anyone have an opinion on this? I'm well over a year out from applying, but I'm curious :)

This brings up a question I've had for quite some time... Is there any disadvantage to applying to only your IS? I'm a NJ resident now, but moving to NC next year. I intend to establish residency, and then apply to NCSU. I think similarly to you, Trilt, I'm taking every step humanly possible to avoid debt over 50k ( hence the move to NC ). The idea of a thousand dollar+ student loan payment is enough to scare me away from veterinary school altogether. If I never get into NCSU, I'll continue with my current career and satisfy my passion for animal care in other ways. Or, move again, establish residency in another low tuition state, and apply to that school as an IS. If I applied to schools other than NCSU and was accepted, I would not attend. So the obvious answer seem to be to only apply to NC. However, I read somewhere once that you should apply to at least two schools, that way your IS doesn't put you on the back burner on the assumption that " you'll always be there next year ". Anyone have an opinion on this? I'm well over a year out from applying, but I'm curious :)

Just as a heads up, if you don't have savings or anything you will end up in >50k debt from NCSU... I think IS COA for all four years is right about 100k. Obviously if you have savings, or live more frugally, you'll be able to knock a chunk off, but tuition itself is about 15k a year. I'm lucky and have GI bill benefits that I'll be picking up from my father next year.

I only applied to NC State and got in - anecdote, obviously, but they don't just chuck every application that only applies there! I truly think that schools just try and assemble the best class (by their standards) every year, and applicants tend to create a lot of weird reasoning theories.

Just as a heads up, if you don't have savings or anything you will end up in >50k debt from NCSU... I think IS COA for all four years is right about 100k. Obviously if you have savings, or live more frugally, you'll be able to knock a chunk off, but tuition itself is about 15k a year. I'm lucky and have GI bill benefits that I'll be picking up from my father next year.

I only applied to NC State and got in - anecdote, obviously, but they don't just chuck every application that only applies there! I truly think that schools just try and assemble the best class (by their standards) every year, and applicants tend to create a lot of weird reasoning theories.

Thanks Trilt! And yes I will have enough savings to cover my COL for the four years by the time I start, if all goes as planned. :) I may have to finance all of Vet school ( based on my math about 60-65k ), but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm also hoping to work part time during school, but I guess I'll have to work that out once I get there too.
It's nice to hear from someone who got in to their IS ( especially NC!! ) with only one application. I have very diverse animal/veterinary experience and strong grades, so hopefully I'm a strong enough applicant to do the same! Thanks for the input.

So I'm reapplying and decided to drop Tufts because of the cost, and this thread conferred it. However, I'm thinking about applying to Illinois whose OS overall cost is about $40,000 less than my in-state (penn). My main dilemma is will the cost of flights end up taking me over that $40,000? I'd probably fly home 3 times a year, 6 flights total. I'm just looking to hear from people who went far OS and how much they ended up dropping on flights alone.

So I'm reapplying and decided to drop Tufts because of the cost, and this thread conferred it. However, I'm thinking about applying to Illinois whose OS overall cost is about $40,000 less than my in-state (penn). My main dilemma is will the cost of flights end up taking me over that $40,000? I'd probably fly home 3 times a year, 6 flights total. I'm just looking to hear from people who went far OS and how much they ended up dropping on flights alone.

You'd have to spend almost $7000 on EACH flight to make up for the difference...

Honestly, probably not. There might be other factors that could get more expensive (gas for example) but I really don't think you're going to make up the $40,000 difference. To get to my interview, it cost me just under or over (can't remember) $300 flying from Philly to Midway in February. So for three times a year, you're spending $900 give or take a couple hundred, assuming nothing absolutely crazy happens with the economy. Plus, supposedly it is possible to get IS tuition after your first year, but I'm not sure what you have to do to obtain that. At least that is what someone heard from the dean. How many actually succeed is up for question.

FWIW, I really liked Illinois. Their new curriculum sounds awesome and I'm still a bit sad I won't be experiencing it. I was going there until mid May and then a bizarre change of events led me to Penn.

Penn is one of the more expensive in-state schools, unfortunately.

Also, Illinois will allow you to establish residency after a year, so don't forget to include that in your calculations; you'll only pay OOS tuition for the first year. The Dean made it sound pretty simple - if I remember correctly, it involves filing taxes with Illinois rather than your home state (but I started thinking about whether or not I could do that through my husband and speed the whole process up, so I missed whatever he followed up with).

And I second orca on this one; their new curriculum looks awesome, Urbana-Champagne is a really cool little city, and everyone at the school seemed very warm and very welcoming!

Penn is one of the more expensive in-state schools, unfortunately.

Also, Illinois will allow you to establish residency after a year, so don't forget to include that in your calculations; you'll only pay OOS tuition for the first year. The Dean made it sound pretty simple - if I remember correctly, it involves filing taxes with Illinois rather than your home state (but I started thinking about whether or not I could do that through my husband and speed the whole process up, so I missed whatever he followed up with).

And I second orca on this one; their new curriculum looks awesome, Urbana-Champagne is a really cool little city, and everyone at the school seemed very warm and very welcoming!

Are you sure about Illinois allowing you to switch to in state after first year? From the looks of this: http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/res_faq.cfm#faq1a I'd say no.

Are you sure about Illinois allowing you to switch to in state after first year? From the looks of this: http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/res_faq.cfm#faq1a I'd say no.

It apparently was brought up this year during an info session on interview day. I wasn't able to attend the info session on financial aid cause my interview was like right when it started and I had to leave to catch my plane back immediately after. Supposedly the dean said it was possible and someone said that they were told about 1/3 of OOS are able to gain IS tuition. However, I honestly don't know what you have to do to gain it. I know my info packet said for me to expect to need about $62-65k a year I think, which in the end wasn't much less than the estimates Penn was giving out for IS.

I was really drawn in by their new curriculum, but my boyfriend's best friend went there and said he spent a ton just on flights so I thought I'd ask! And I'm glad to hear you can get residency after a year because I know it's tough to get it at other schools. Thanks!

I was really drawn in by their new curriculum, but my boyfriend's best friend went there and said he spent a ton just on flights so I thought I'd ask! And I'm glad to hear you can get residency after a year because I know it's tough to get it at other schools. Thanks!

I'd ask the school for sure about it. Like I said, I've heard yes, but it's second hand information and I don't know what the process is.

And maybe flights cost more if you fly into the airport closer to the school...I forget the name of it. I flew into Midway, which I think is a 1.5 hour drive from the school. Luckily for me, I met someone on her who was willing to pick me up at the airport and drive me to my interview since she was going that way too, so I just split gas money with her. Not sure how much traveling between the airport and the school would have cost me otherwise.

I went to the dean's session, he definitely said it was possible. Again, I can't remember the hoops you have to jump through, mostly because when he mentioned you could do it by having a spouse become a resident first (again, through taxes) I started thinking about that and stopped paying attention to the rest of his schpiel. ;)

I can ask some of the vet students I work with about if they were able to get in state tuition after a year at Illinois (since I live/work on campus) and let you know! I know one of my coworkers is OOS going in to her second year so she should know. Keep you posted!

I can ask some of the vet students I work with about if they were able to get in state tuition after a year at Illinois (since I live/work on campus) and let you know! I know one of my coworkers is OOS going in to her second year so she should know. Keep you posted!

That would be excellent thank you!

I would really REALLY appreciate it. I'm probably going to apply anyway, but it might help in the decision making process if I happen to get in at more than one school.

Don't know if anyone updated the numbers yet, but the COA at VMRCVM went up ~$3k for IS recently. Tuition and fees went up $790.00 for the year, but they increased estimates for books & supplies, insurance, personal expenses, housing and meals, and transportation, which means that most of the increased COA will come back to the students.

See: http://www.bursar.vt.edu/tuition/

Personally, I was one of the people that needed the increase because of personal expenses that were making it hard to survive towards the end of every semester when money got low, but if you have a spouse or significant other contributing $$, you might not need the increase. Remember the thing about COA is that you do not have accept all of your loans if you have the means to make do with less.

Hi, all. Here is this year's version. It's a little more than what I put together last year.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuDAmocjP-XddF81NkhoZ1Bud205TGw3RWdDR0g1cGc

The big thing to me is the sheet showing the total estimated debt you'll graduate with from each program. Now that there are no subsidized loans, that interest is accumulating from the day you step on campus!
So- PLEASE let me know asap of anything that doesn't jibe with what you are hearing/seeing/being told so I can fix it.
Sorry- just north american schools again this year. PROMISE I'll get the euro/au/nz schools in next time!
Thanks!

Hi, all. Here is this year's version. It's a little more than what I put together last year.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuDAmocjP-XddF81NkhoZ1Bud205TGw3RWdDR0g1cGc

The big thing to me is the sheet showing the total estimated debt you'll graduate with from each program. Now that there are no subsidized loans, that interest is accumulating from the day you step on campus!
So- PLEASE let me know asap of anything that doesn't jibe with what you are hearing/seeing/being told so I can fix it.
Sorry- just north american schools again this year. PROMISE I'll get the euro/au/nz schools in next time!
Thanks!

Thank you thank you for doing this again! I can't tell you how often I've referenced the one you put together last year.

Thanks!

Thank you for doing this. It's an incredible (if depressing) resource!