Estimating Overall Percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ioncannon98

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how we can estimate what our percentile for the composite score is? They report the percentiles for each section but I am hoping to find out what the percentile ranking for my composite score (36) is. I thought maybe some keen statisticians would know how we could estimate this based on the percentile rankings of each section. I read Blietzkreg's post on another thread where he/she claimed that they were in the 98-99% for the composite score. Anyone know how Blietzkreg got that number?

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to some AAMC people and other MCAT professionals (work for a certain prep company) and they concurred that for the April 2002 session, that my score was in that %ile range. I think a 36 would be there too, but I haven't seen the breakdown on the August MCAT scores yet.

I agree. It would be really interesting if someone could make a chart of the overall percentiles. I know it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be nice. My reason is because lots of people ask me my score, but the number means nothing to them so I have to explain how the test is scored and what a good score would be. It would be much easier to say I got a --- which is -- percentile. So if anyone has some insight please share.

Since AAMC will be reporting the composite MCAT score in April 2003, I think that there is a good chance they will give composite percentiles along with the percentiles that correlate with the individual sections. If they do give the composite percentiles, I think that would correlate pretty well with percentiles for the 2002 composite scores. I know it's a long time to wait, but it will be interesting to see if they do give the composite percentiles.