Estimations on FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneDayDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Fin Aid question. I have already submitted my taxes for the year, but my parents have not (and, speaking to them, they are unlikely to until close to April 15th). When filling out my FAFSA--since, I guess, I have to fill out their info if I want to be eligible for grant money--can I use estimates for their income so I can get my forms in ASAP? Or, do I have to wait to get the exact number?

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to need signed copies of actual tax forms for 2006 to be sent to each school anyway. Being as you won't be considered for finaid until you send those, you can probably wait to fill out actual numbers on the FAFSA. But you really don't want to wait, because that can hurt your chances. Or you can estimate and send in taxes when you get them. This may be a school specific question.

You REALLY should try to convince your parents to get them done now. I know it's a pain, but tell them it could potentially cost you thousands of dollars, and maybe that will help convince them. It worked on my mom, and she's not even paying for my school.

You're going to need signed copies of actual tax forms for 2006 to be sent to each school anyway. Being as you won't be considered for finaid until you send those, you can probably wait to fill out actual numbers on the FAFSA. But you really don't want to wait, because that can hurt your chances. Or you can estimate and send in taxes when you get them. This may be a school specific question.

You REALLY should try to convince your parents to get them done now. I know it's a pain, but tell them it could potentially cost you thousands of dollars, and maybe that will help convince them. It worked on my mom, and she's not even paying for my school.

Well, my Dad hasn't even gotten his W2 (or W4 or whatever the form is) yet, so they can't finish their taxes without it (he expects it March 15).
I'd like to (if possible) at least get an estimate in. One of the school's I'm considering will allow students whose fin aid applications are complete to discuss their funding options with the fin aid office during the second look days. Their second look is April 12-13, so, I'd like to get my stuff in ASAP if I can without running afoul of the Feds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, my Dad hasn't even gotten his W2 (or W4 or whatever the form is) yet, so they can't finish their taxes without it (he expects it March 15).
I'd like to (if possible) at least get an estimate in. One of the school's I'm considering will allow students whose fin aid applications are complete to discuss their funding options with the fin aid office during the second look days. Their second look is April 12-13, so, I'd like to get my stuff in ASAP if I can without running afoul of the Feds.

How is that? They are supposed to send the stuff the last Friday in January.

will the schools ask for the signed forms or are you expected to send them without being asked? im pretty sure i sent these to none of the schools whose financial aid packages i have completed.

Quick Fin Aid question. I have already submitted my taxes for the year, but my parents have not (and, speaking to them, they are unlikely to until close to April 15th). When filling out my FAFSA--since, I guess, I have to fill out their info if I want to be eligible for grant money--can I use estimates for their income so I can get my forms in ASAP? Or, do I have to wait to get the exact number?

Firstly, I've been told that Federal Pell Grants are not given to Med Students. Secondly, your parents information is only used for Institutional Aid at most schools, and most schools will require a copy of your parents W-2 when dealing with a hefty financial aid package (such as the one you'll get for Medical School). Use your parents W-2 information.

Yep already been asked for my tax forms and my parents. No point in filling out those stupid FAFSA forms if you ask me. You send them all of the info they need anyway. Pointless...

will the schools ask for the signed forms or are you expected to send them without being asked? im pretty sure i sent these to none of the schools whose financial aid packages i have completed.

Hmmm. Maybe after you've received the award they'll use them to confirm? That's interesting because every one of my schools requested signed W-2's and tax returns from me and my parents.

And I'm pretty sure workplaces are required by law to send out W-2's to their employees by January 31st. Is your dad self-employed or something?

narc - my favorite is how the schools require the forms, the FAFSA (same info as on the taxes, agreed), and THEN another supplementary form that asks the same questions as on the FAFSA. The icing on the cake is when that supplementary form costs 18 bucks...

Your Dad has to have gotten his W2. It's March 14