ESTU Quillen College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anybody attend, interview or know about QCOM?
How does the teaching compare to other facilities? And what about the quality of education, atmosphere and residency placement etc. :)

ANY input will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an undergrad at ETSU right now, but I've been accepted to Quillen for Fall 2009. I can honestly say that there is no other place that I would rather be. When I first came here 3 and a half years ago as a freshman, I really didn't like Johnson City that much, but this region has really grown on me, so much that I don't want to move away!

As far as the actual medical school is concerned, I can tell you what I know/have observed during my undergrad tenure here. Quillen is a small school (60 students per class) that gives a good family environment. The campus and facilities are awesome, and the main building is relatively new (2001). Teaching facilities, including a state of the art large simulation lab, are great. The professors and staff that I've had the opportunity to interact with have been nothing but nice and helpful. The medical school is affiliated with Johnson City Medical Center, the VA Medical Center, Holston Valley Medical Center, and Bristol Regional Medical Center. It also operates its own clinical offices/departments through ETSU Physicians and Associates.

My interview at Quillen was very laid back. The people there are much more interested in getting to know you as a person. They are looking for people that they think will make excellent primary care physicians (which is the school's main mission), even though I plan on going into surgery.

The only drawback that I can think of (but of course my opinion may be a little biased) would be for someone who likes a big city/big school atmosphere.

Hope this helps....

I'm an M1 at Quillen right now. So far I absolutely love it and am happy that med school admissions gods have allowed me to come here. I'd be happy to address any specific questions via PM. As for broad generalizations, cheap cost of living, beautiful part of the country, small class, friendly students, friendly professors, friendly administration, friendly custodial staff, excellent access to professors, very low level of class tension/aggression. There is a focus on primary care, but students can and do match in any field. I feel no pressure to pursue primary care and feel no pressure to pretend to be interested in primary care. On the other hand, I think we attract students interested in family/internal/rural/global medicine.
I have no way of commenting on level of instruction relative to other schools. In my opinion, success as an M1 at least will rely mostly on self directed learning. I've received everything I could want from instructors. When I do well I get up and work hard. When I struggle it's because I watched too much football. It's not because of my instruction. Others may disagree.
Feel free to contact me via PM for specific questions. As an addition, I feel no need to promote the school. Last year I was applying and all I wanted was some honest opinions and real information. There are pros and cons to everything, including here.

Good luck to you. If you choose to come here I doubt you would regret it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey im currently in 11th grade and im looking at Etsu bs/md program. Can anybody explain to me the admission process and what are the average requirements.

That program doesn't exist anymore. The last class for the program was accepted this past summer.

I'm an M1 at Quillen right now. So far I absolutely love it and am happy that med school admissions gods have allowed me to come here. I'd be happy to address any specific questions via PM. As for broad generalizations, cheap cost of living, beautiful part of the country, small class, friendly students, friendly professors, friendly administration, friendly custodial staff, excellent access to professors, very low level of class tension/aggression. There is a focus on primary care, but students can and do match in any field. I feel no pressure to pursue primary care and feel no pressure to pretend to be interested in primary care. On the other hand, I think we attract students interested in family/internal/rural/global medicine.
I have no way of commenting on level of instruction relative to other schools. In my opinion, success as an M1 at least will rely mostly on self directed learning. I've received everything I could want from instructors. When I do well I get up and work hard. When I struggle it's because I watched too much football. It's not because of my instruction. Others may disagree.
Feel free to contact me via PM for specific questions. As an addition, I feel no need to promote the school. Last year I was applying and all I wanted was some honest opinions and real information. There are pros and cons to everything, including here.

I am in less of a position to comment on this school than you, but during my interview day I received the exact same impression as you have explained here. I feel like it is a very good school, especially for people that don't want to live in the city. I'm hoping against odds to get off their waitlist.

Hey im currently in 11th grade and im looking at Etsu bs/md program. Can anybody explain to me the admission process and what are the average requirements.

Did you notice their new summer program on the QCOM website? Go to the website and click Admissions- MD. Scroll to the bottom and click Medical Horizons Program.

Also after you click on the Admissions- MD, click on the Workshop Flyer. It is HIGHLY worth your time to go listen to that. I am in from a non-traditional perspective. Stephanie Cole went through the entire workshop slide presentation with me in her office because I missed it. That was the best 45 minutes that I spent. Stephanie knows EVERYTHING.

Good Luck! :xf:

I second this response. I am a first year and I agree with this 100%. This is a great school.