Ethical Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school, it is well known that one of our Physics professor is a bull-**** lesbian in the mold of Rosie O'Donnell. She more closely resembles Janet Reno on roids, but that's beyond the point.

I have said professor for Physics lab. Now my lab partner is an absolute piece of cooz. Very girly and absolutely gorgeous. However, in her freshman year she acquired and subsequently lost a taste for the sweet poon nectar and is now widely recognized as a V tease to the alternate lifestyle portion of our female student body and faculty members. Again, this isn't too important.

So here is my problem: My lab partner wrote up a report and after it was graded I picked it up from outside the prof's office only to find some subtle but salacious overtures written into it (by my lab partner).

We got an A, but the work was spotty and didn't even deserve a C. Obviously the prof gave us a good grade because of an unrealistic student-teacher role-playing fantasy. Now I consider myself a very ethical person, but I'm essentially benefiting from the lustful desires of my professor. However, I want a good grade. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Naturally, you should do the ethical thing. Go the professor, discretely inform her that you know the REAL reason you got an A, and ask her to lower your grade.

Makes sense, right?

Seriously, grading is often a very subjective thing. I'm sure you've lost points on occasion because the prof or TA grading your work was having a bad day. It all balances out in the end.

what's your point here? you got an A, leave it at that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eventually you'll get screwed on something equally fair to compensate for it. Such is life.

Since your lab partner is your peer *and* the one doing the teasing. I would suggest you talk to her about not putting that bs in your reports and potentially jeopardizing your grade.

Also, why was the work spotty? Just make an effort to turn in A-worthy work, and then you won't be concerned about deserving your grade.

At my school, it is well known that one of our Physics professor is a bull-**** lesbian in the mold of Rosie O'Donnell. She more closely resembles Janet Reno on roids, but that's beyond the point.

I have said professor for Physics lab. Now my lab partner is an absolute piece of cooz. Very girly and absolutely gorgeous. However, in her freshman year she acquired and subsequently lost a taste for the sweet poon nectar and is now widely recognized as a V tease to the alternate lifestyle portion of our female student body and faculty members. Again, this isn't too important.

So here is my problem: My lab partner wrote up a report and after it was graded I picked it up from outside the prof's office only to find some subtle but salacious overtures written into it (by my lab partner).

We got an A, but the work was spotty and didn't even deserve a C. Obviously the prof gave us a good grade because of an unrealistic student-teacher role-playing fantasy. Now I consider myself a very ethical person, but I'm essentially benefiting from the lustful desires of my professor. However, I want a good grade. What should I do?
You are such a troll...

On any mention of homosexuality you have to put things in the most crude terminology possible. Grow up.

I suggest you jump in and make it a threesome ;)

um, okay i wish i could flirt and make A's. -_-

Is it totally wrong that I was completely turned on?

reno.gif

I have the brain of a 7 yr old. I can't stop laughing at this.

Tis a tiny bit Hilarious.....can we get a TBS funny ruling on that?

LOL, "V Tease," really, that's priceless......

From what I gathered from your post, you are quite sure you and your partner handed in a "C worthy" paper, but got an A due to your partner's..ahem.....sexual wiles. Given this assumption, your problem is essentially boiled down to:

- whether you should keep quiet and take the A,
- or speak up because the A didn't represent your actual work.

In terms of ethics, ofcourse you should speak up because your work didn't merit the A. On the other hand, you didn't intentionally try to use your partner to get the A; I bring this up because I believe your conundrum now becomes:

- speak up, reprimand the physics professor, risk reprecussions because your accusations are based on circumstantial evidence at best
- learn your lesson, do not partner with her again.

From the information you provided, it's hard to give you further advice because the basis of your next action is dependent on the strength of your evidence. If you go ahead with your accusations, and if there are any doubts or weak-points the faculty can find, you are left in a less than desired position. A lot of what you've posted is open to interpretation: professors make marking mistakes all the time, I'm sure the A would not be hard for your prof to justify; and the fact that your partner was making suggestive advances to your professor is really your word against theirs.

If you have a "bloody glove" hidden away somewhere that would, without a doubt, implicate your prof, then by all means, go ahead with your accusations. Failing this, I would hold off your accusations. If you feel strongly about implicating your prof, perhaps spend the next while observing and gathering some evidence to build your case.

On a side note, I've noticed a slight increase in the number of gay seduction for "leg up" into med school threads lately.......must be the weather...

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of ethics, ofcourse you should speak up because your work didn't merit the A.

Actually, in terms of ethics this would fall under the category of "whistleblowing."

The criterion for the validity of whistleblowing are as follows:

1. Need: is there impending harm or a situation that would be detrimental to others as a result of not calling out your teacher?

IMO: no, not really, unless you class is graded on a curve and your A is reducing the grades of your peers

2. Proximity: do you have firsthand knowledge of the wrongdoing.

IMO: arguable, as you suspect that you got an A due to the comments on your lab partner's paper, but are not sure of it.

3. Capability: do you think you are capable of rectifying the matter.

IMO: Probably not. Even if your class is graded on a curve, in effect, the only way this would be harming others is if the teacher does this on a large scale (unless you have a very small class size). If this is so, you would have to either convince the teacher to stop doing this on principle or get your teacher fired by going above her head.

I doubt you would be capable of doing so without sufficient evidence and risk to yourself.

4. Last Resort: is the only way of fixing this situation by revealing what you suspect is gong on/

IMO: I don't think you can fix the situation, so no.

5. Adequate Documentation: do you have copies of all the papers your lab partner turned in with said comments, and can you furnish them if brought before an academic council.

IMO: no, unless you photocopied all of your lab partner's papers.

My final opinion, this is a situation in which "whistleblowing," or rather, telling on your teacher, would produce no net good for you or your classmates (the other stakeholders involved).

I dont know about you but I would ask for the proper grade as I am not a cheater and I do have ethics!

holy ****! when did quentin tarantino enter the forum?

"It's all about this cooz who's a regular f*ck machine..."

interesting story.

Look sometimes there's not a whole lot you can accomplish in these types of situations. Just keep it to yourself and move on. If anything address your lab partner since they are your colleague and tell her to stop being so scandalous in a work situation, lest their situation be exposed to nobody's benefit.

Incidentally, how exactly does one write salacious overtures into a lab report?

Update

I visited my lab partner today and we had a little chat. She admitted she's a little flirt and obviously had no interest in Professor crotch mullet.

She convinced me to keep quiet. However, I used the obvious leverage I had and made a killer deal. Let’s just say I'll be privy to some sweet femme-femme action this weekend.

I :love: Physics lab.

Update

I visited my lab partner today and we had a little chat. She admitted she's a little flirt and obviously had no interest in Professor crotch mullet.

She convinced me to keep quiet. However, I used the obvious leverage I had and made a killer deal. Let’s just say I'll be privy to some sweet femme-femme action this weekend.

No one believes you. Go troll somewhere else.
He/SHE (leaning towards she or a gay man) is obviously a troll......NO_ONE loves physics!:sleep:

This entire thread has made me laugh very much. As miserable as I am with all the work I have to do, this was a welcome break. Thank you everyone.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This part is cracking me up so bad I can't seem to stop laughing...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Update

so how did you exactly get that killer deal (in other words, what words did you say to get that leverage)?

also, what does V tease mean b/c i've never heard of that phrase before?

You guys are hilarious. We should really do this again sometime.

Come back and tell us about how it went. :sleep:

lol there is no question of ethics here, come on. the OP just wanted to tell a funny story that everyone laughed at.

lol there is no question of ethics here, come on. the OP just wanted to tell a funny story that everyone laughed at.

^^^ Yup... and now we're just awaiting the salacious conclusion. ;)

wolfram- don't forget to tell us how it goes! :D