Ethical Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tally

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So, I got accepted to what I thought was my first choice medical school (I will call them school A for anonymity). I also told them in an update letter that they were by far my first choice before being accepted. Now, after really considering the cost of school A and some other personal factors, I want to go to the school that I am currently waitlisted at (school B).

I would like to send a letter of intent to school B, but feel a little weird since I basically did that with school A. Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

Also, can schools that you are waitlisted at see the acceptances you are holding at other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So, I got accepted to what I thought was my first choice medical school (I will call them school A for anonymity). I also told them in an update letter that they were by far my first choice before being accepted. Now, after really considering the cost of school A and some other personal factors, I want to go to the school that I am currently waitlisted at (school B).

I would like to send a letter of intent to school B, but feel a little weird since I basically did that with school A. Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

Also, can schools that you are waitlisted at see the acceptances you are holding at other schools?
\\

Dude I feel the same way but it is with some girls. The one I really wanted sems a bit distant, but my second choic e went all out. I'm not sure which one is best. Time will tell I guess. Goood luck homie.

I think that the school where you hold an offer can see where you have been waitlisted but I don't know this for a fact.

You don't have a conflict until the other school takes you from the waitlist. Then you reassess given financial aid offers, etc.

What was your first choice at time point A can change with time and you are entitled to change your mind.

Send a letter to School B expressing that you are still very interested.

Members don't see this ad :)

How is this an ethical dilemma?

I think after a certain date in the application process, all schools can see how many offers individuals hold; this is done because schools need to know how many more acceptances to give out to fill their seats. They cant overbook or underbook their school.

So for your situation, I wouldn't send a letter of "intent", but send in a letter of interest. Include why this school is right for you.

Afterall, you are trying to pick the best school for you. If in the process you realize that a school you were interested in is really not the best for you, then its okay to look at other options. Make sure though, that the offer doesnt expire in the first school, before you get off the waitlist in the second school.

some food for thought: A waitlist is usually ranked. That means you are already holding a position in the line. If they start taking ppl off the waitlist, its usually in their pre-ranked order. However, if they are down to filling one or two spots, then they will try to pick the best candidate for the spot from the waitlist.

\\

Dude I feel the same way but it is with some girls. The one I really wanted sems a bit distant, but my second choic e went all out. I'm not sure which one is best. Time will tell I guess. Goood luck homie.

:laugh::laugh:

sometimes i feel everyone on sdn is too serious

How could you not see iit?; It is secondary essay type material.

Totally..I was thinking, too bad you're in, because here is your secondary-essay ethical dilemma. :laugh:

Do whatever you want. This is your life and you've got to look out for number 1. Plus, it's not like you intentionally lied.. it's your mind and you have the right to change it.

Your life is far more important to you than it is to school A, which I suspect has plenty of qualified students on their waitlist who would love to get off. You should do what is best for yourself, which in this case may be getting in contact with school B.

Like LizzyM said, preferences change and that is just a fact of life. This is not a moral/ethical issue at all, regardless of how crazy some peeps on SDN are.