SlippingSloth

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
Is getting an old test from student that has previously taken the class considered cheating? Obviously you are giving yourself an advantage, but is it an unfair one? Assuming the professor changes the test questions so they arent exactly the same isnt it just another study tool?

lorelei

SDN Angel
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2004
St. Louis
Status
Medical Student
Were the students allowed to keep the test? If so, then no, it's not cheating. The professor is fully aware that old tests are out there, and should be writing new tests with this in mind.

If the previous student snuck the test out of class, or if the professor asked you not to consult old tests, that would be cheating.

You could always ask the professor for his or her opinion, if you feel like he or she might not have thought about it.

2112_rush

M2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
Status
I agree with the above poster. I rely on old tests in med school and the great class ahead of us was kind enough to burn 7 years worth of old tests onto a cd for each member of my class.

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Puget Sound
Status
Attending Physician
If you are truly worried about doing what is ethically correct, I would suggest telling the prof that tests are out there and being offered. I would suggest to the professor that old tests be made available to everyone, to even the playing field. That will also clue the prof in to the fact that the test needs to be different.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
SlippingSloth said:
Is getting an old test from student that has previously taken the class considered cheating? Obviously you are giving yourself an advantage, but is it an unfair one? Assuming the professor changes the test questions so they arent exactly the same isnt it just another study tool?
ofcourse not. most med schools have test banks that they pass down from one class to another. It isn't considered cheating because you're learning the material. and in undergrad people do the same thing. definately not unethical. teachers know this happens.