Ethical secondary essay- underage drinking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdhere1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would this be a big NO to mention in an ethical essay?

I'm sure as AdComs are also regular people, they know college students sometimes engage in drinking before they reach the age of 21. I can't think of many other "ethically" challenging situations I've been in.

Without too many details, it wasn't myself who was drinking but someone else and maybe they had a little too much to drink...

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

@Goro and other adcoms, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm voting no

I really think you can come up with a better topic than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to ask if something would be viewed negatively, I think you already know the answer. I'm sure you can think of other instances of ethical challenges you've faced - friends cheating, access to tests, etc.

What exactly was the ethical decision you were being asked to make? Was it about getting someone help but getting them in trouble with school officials vs trying to handle their intoxication on your own? Did you want to protect them from harm but having to balance several different types of harm? I can see it working if done well.

Reactions: 2 users
What exactly was the ethical decision you were being asked to make? Was it about getting someone help but getting them in trouble with school officials vs trying to handle their intoxication on your own? Did you want to protect them from harm but having to balance several different types of harm? I can see it working if done well.

That's pretty much exactly it. I wasn't drinking myself but no one around the individual wanted to get them help because of fear of getting in trouble with law enforcement/school administration.

That's pretty much exactly it. I wasn't drinking myself but no one around the individual wanted to get them help because of fear of getting in trouble with law enforcement/school administration.

So you had to weigh some risk to yourself as well as competing risks for the individual (physical risk associated with intoxication vs school/criminal consequences of intoxication). I can see that working with this prompt.

Reactions: 2 users