Ethics: Do you think it's unprofessional for faculty to add students on facebook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mauricio45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had several faculty members that I worked with in clinic sent me friend requests but I feel kinda uncomfortable about it. Maybe it's not that big of a deal (unless you have drunken pictures of yourself for them to see). Had you guys had this happened at your dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a little weird.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never had faculty add me, but I add them all the time.
I think it's a little weird for them to add you (as opposed to the other way around), but not unethical/unprofessional. We're all adults here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had several faculty members that I worked with in clinic sent me friend requests but I feel kinda uncomfortable about it. Maybe it's not that big of a deal (unless you have drunken pictures of yourself for them to see). Had you guys had this happened at your dental school?
Lots of my friends added professors in undergrad. I don't think its unprofessional or anything.

I would advice "watching out" for a prof that wants to get too close!
Distance is a good thing between student and teacher.
Remember this guy/gal has considerable power over your life as a student.

I think its okay as long as you have a close academic relationship with the professor. You do research with them, you volunteer at the same place, they are an adviser to a club you are president of. It really depends though.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not friend any faculty or accept friend requests from faculty. It can only lead to problems in the future. Add them the day after graduation if you want.
Personal relationships on social media can be misconstrued. Keep things professional.

There is nothing wrong, I would accept their request unless you are a person with PPD.