Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Ethics of Kidney Transplant-HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by biggezz, Sep 3, 2001.

1. biggezz

biggezz Junior Member

Hey Guys,
    If a child needs and wants a kidney transplant but the parents say it is against their religion what do the doctors do? Listen to the parents or to the child?

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stephen Ewen

That is definitely one for the courts.

4. MorningLight210

I know that in the case of blood transfusions, if the doctors believe a transfusion is absolutely necessary to save a child's life, but the parents object for religious reasons, then the doctors still win out. This actually arose from a court case, if I recall correctly. I believe it's partly based on the idea that the physician's primary duty is to the protection of his/her patient. Perhaps transplants are in the same boat?

5. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

Regardless of who we think is "right," the case must be brought to court. Likely, the kid will win out if a suitable donor is ready and waiting, and even if one is not (the kid's on the list).

6. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)

Resident [Any Field]
    While the parents certainly have custodial rights over the child, the child is NOT property, and therefor should be given the transplant since he is not of an age to make the (religious) decision himself. Afterall, who's to say that the child will reach legal age and have the same religious views as his parents (I know I don't!)?

Do no harm.....

7. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member

When risks to the child are life-threatening, many states will abide by the principle of "parens patriae"--or Latin for "parent of the state" which allows the state to act in the best interest of minor children and mentally incompetent persons.

There is a grey area on what to do if the minor refuses life-saving treatment...at what age is the minor competent to make medical decisions for him or herself?

8. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member

That's what I was going to ask about. What if the kid refuses the transfusion? Do they put him/her in restraints and force the IV?

I'll tell ya, that's one situation where I certainly wouldn't want to be the doctor.

9. cg1

cg1 Senior Member

Yes. And with something this controversial, wouldn't a surgeon ask their hospital what their policy is?

Or isn't that how it's done? :confused: