ethics question (parent+child)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndoe3344

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you have a child's blood results in your hand, and you find out that he has a very rare terminal genetic condition X. The child's parents are also in the room.

At what age of the child (if ever) would you ask the parents to leave the room so you can tell the child this information in confidence? (I use the word 'child' loosely -- under some insurance plans, you're covered under your parents until age 23 -- so it's possible that you'll have a parent + his 23 year old 'child')

Would it ever be acceptable for the parent to knowingly withhold this information from the child? Until what age? If you knew that the parent was doing this, would you tell the child about his condition upon his subsequent visits?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say you have a child's blood results in your hand, and you find out that he has a very rare terminal genetic condition X. The child's parents are also in the room.

At what age of the child (if ever) would you ask the parents to leave the room so you can tell the child this information in confidence? (I use the word 'child' loosely -- under some insurance plans, you're covered under your parents until age 23 -- so it's possible that you'll have a parent + his 23 year old 'child')

Would it ever be acceptable for the parent to knowingly withhold this information from the child? Until what age? If you knew that the parent was doing this, would you tell the child about his condition upon his subsequent visits?

This would be a HIPPA question more than a doctor's ethics. I'm pretty sure that at 18 the child has full rights in this matter and would be consulted without his parents (or at least asked if he/she wants this), but I feel like I've read that its earlier than this.

Unfortunately I believe the legal rights fall to the parents in this case until the person is an adult (18, legally). Parents have an abundance of rights over their offspring which they can exploit. I would absolutely tell the individual with the genetic disease what was wrong as soon as I was able to do so legally.

From a pure ethics standpoint, I think the kid has a right to know as soon as the tests come back. However, we do not deal in a world of pure ethics.

You are a child until you turn 18.
It is acceptable to withhold information from someone if the information may cause serious deterioration in the person's health - subjective I know but can be done at any age. If a child asks, you can always answer the question honestly in my opinion ----unless the parents are able to establish a reason not to disclose information due to possible deterioration in the child's health.