Ethics Questions: Report to state department vs. encourage pt to disclose to sexual encounters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supadupasid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying for ethics, and I had a quick question concerning how a physician addresses positive STIs results. If a patient is positive for chlam or gon and the patient wants to keep it quiet, what's the physicians first reaction? I've seen questions where the answer is to report to state and other questions where its to encourage. But, what if I had a question with both answer choices? What is more important? I feel like both are important. Honestly, I imagine you'd do both, but what addresses the question more if the patient doesn't want the doctor to tell the patient's spouse.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm studying for ethics, and I had a quick question concerning how a physician addresses positive STIs results. If a patient is positive for chlam or gon and the patient wants to keep it quiet, what's the physicians first reaction? I've seen questions where the answer is to report to state and other questions where its to encourage. But, what if I had a question with both answer choices? What is more important? I feel like both are important. Honestly, I imagine you'd do both, but what addresses the question more if the patient doesn't want the doctor to tell the patient's spouse.

First, ask why patient feels that way. Second, educate and encourage the patient to tell partner(s). If patient is still not wanting to, tell them you have to report it.

I think that's right. someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. You have to try to work it out w/your patient with trust, information and logic before reporting to the state department I've always thought (on exams anyway).

Reactions: 1 user
You know I feel what you said makes sense. Especially if you're asking what is the physician's first response when they hear if that patient is worried that physician well tell the patient's spouse and other sexual partners. Just to be thorough, I realize that mandatory reporting is a thing... so does that change anything. I read on amboss under a particular topic that you do both- which isn't helpful.

This was a actually a question (with no answer)... and the answer choices were like:
"I am required by law to report you to the state board"... which is a true statement, but maybe feels very abrupt
"It's should be your responsibility to tell your sexual partners"... as I write this, maybe saying your responsibility isn't the same as encouraging cuz im infringing on autonomy? Idk my gut just said this.

I tell the state because they make me, you should tell your partners because it is the right thing to do (and I will hand you the meds for them to take)

Reactions: 1 user