ethinicity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x-rayeyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
question for you all: My mother is 100% Indonesian (Pacific Islander), which makes me 50%. My other half is white. On the AMCAS, does my 50% classify me as 'Pacific Islander'? I'm sure there is some benefit instead of marking 'White'. Or should I decline to answer? I have email AMCAS-no response after 3 emails. Gonna call tomorrow and find a way through the automated she devil. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

x-rayeyes said:
question for you all: My mother is 100% Indonesian (Pacific Islander), which makes me 50%. My other half is white. On the AMCAS, does my 50% classify me as 'Pacific Islander'? I'm sure there is some benefit instead of marking 'White'. Or should I decline to answer? I have email AMCAS-no response after 3 emails. Gonna call tomorrow and find a way through the automated she devil. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Check the box, that you most identify with. Is there an option to identify multiple ethnicities?

You're enough to claim it...so do it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
x-rayeyes said:

I've run into this dilemma all the time on different forms. (I'm half Chinese/half white). It just depends on my mood though...sometimes I put Asian and others white. Personally, I choose not to answer if I think it will make a difference either way. Hope you find your answer though!

don't expect other applicants to do "what is right", so find out which checkmark will improve your chances, and pick it. I don't mean to be cynnical, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

x-rayeyes said:

I don't think Indonesians are classified as Pacific Islanders. They are considered Asians (or Southeast Asians). I think there is an option on AMCAS for Southeast Asian.

Geographically speaking the eastern part of Indonesia does lie on the Pacific and the people are of the same stock as many of the Pacific Islanders (Polynesians, Melanesians, etc) but politically speaking it is still considered as being in Asia. Same reason Filipinos are Asians and not Pacific Islanders.

Which part of Indonesia does your mother come from?

Btw, I am Indonesian Chinese (born in Indonesia, grandparents moved from China to Indo), in case you are wondering.

I also think indonesian goes under east asian. As such I would go with white just in case a school is trying to curb the enrollment of an over represented minority.

geno2568 said:
don't expect other applicants to do "what is right", so find out which checkmark will improve your chances, and pick it. I don't mean to be cynnical, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I just had a good chuckle imagining you saying that in an Italian accent. :laugh:

Apologies for the stereotyping.
-Dr. P.

P.S.: I love italian food. :love:

knio said:
I don't think Indonesians are classified as Pacific Islanders. They are considered Asians (or Southeast Asians). I think there is an option on AMCAS for Southeast Asian.

Geographically speaking the eastern part of Indonesia does lie on the Pacific and the people are of the same stock as many of the Pacific Islanders (Polynesians, Melanesians, etc) but politically speaking it is still considered as being in Asia. Same reason Filipinos are Asians and not Pacific Islanders.

Btw, I am Indonesian Chinese (born in Indonesia, grandparents moved from China to Indo), in case you are wondering.

My mothers parents were born in Borneo, they moved to Rotterdam in Holland where she was born, so some say I am half Dutch-Indonesian

knio said:

You are right...Indonesians are not classified as Pac. Islanders....
Pac. Islanders = Somoans, Fijians, places in Micronesia/Polynesia, etc...