Ethnicity hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgirl09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does being an indian female hurt my chances? My pre-med advisor said to me that it would hurt me in my process... along with the fact that I'm from Ohio.

That was very discouraging, but I am wondering how much truth it holds as well as if it is significant enough to keep me out of dental school. I don't get it???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Does being an indian female hurt my chances? My pre-med advisor said to me that it would hurt me in my process... along with the fact that I'm from Ohio.

That was very discouraging, but I am wondering how much truth it holds as well as if it is significant enough to keep me out of dental school. I don't get it???:confused:

Well considering that in my class of 35 there is an indian female from Cleveland, I do not think that would be anything that you should worry about during your process as it clearly did not hurt her.

I'm not sure how it would hurt you....after almost every secondary or website about admissions is a long letter about how the admissions office does not discriminate against age, race, sex, etc etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your pre-med adviser is racist.

Yeah. I suppose it wouldn't be an issue... but I guess I just let someone who is supposed to HELP me get into Dschool feed me this type of information....

I'm not sure how it would hurt you....after almost every secondary or website about admissions is a long letter about how the admissions office does not discriminate against age, race, sex, etc etc.

Race will only help you (gotta be underrepresented minority), never hurt you.

your advisor is an idiot

I've heard this also from friends when I told them I was interested in Dental. I wouldn't take it too seriously. So long as you have the stats and a strong interview, schools will not keep you out based on race.

Now, who let that person be an adviser at you school? Just wondering...

Your advisor needs some advising his/herself. Race aside, if you are a competitive applicant and really want to get in..........you will.

The only pre-dent advisor you need is SDN ;)

Honestly, I don't think I'd be applying to dental school if it wasnt for SDN. I was told that a score that would get you in was as long as you had above a 16 or 17 on teh DAT. Thank god for SDN over achievers who forced me to work hard and not believe that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Minority Acceptance In Dental Scools- 06 Report
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=396652

If you're worried about racism, than don't apply to schools that don't accept a lot of Asians. Usually they have few of a particular race because they are state schools and there are few of that race in that particular state (though if they are Private schools, they might secretly have quotas for certain races.. which I think is legal to do for Private schools).

Being from Ohio doesn't hurt you at all, and may help you get into Case Western or Ohio State.

Dental advisers are the worst. I haven't heard of anyone having a good experience with one yet.

I'm not sure if your adviser meant that people will hesitate to accept an Indian for racial reasons or if Indians are over represented in the field. I don't know about the rest of the country, but Indians are likely over represented in the medical field in NY relative to the overall percentage of Indians in the population. But they are still getting accepted in high numbers so I don't think it will play a major role either way. Indians aren't underrepresented minorities, at least on the coasts.

I dont' think my pre-dent advisor is racist... she is asian too (Hawang). Im sure she meant that Indian people apply a lot to the med and dent fields.... but it scared me.

And yes, I think she is meant to be the premed advisor, and doubles as hte pre dent advisor. She has admited ot having limited knowledge on dental school and the application process. BIG HELP!!

Thank god for SDN. Hopefully after reading this someof you will forgive me for some of my ridiculous posts that seem really simple!! I don't know anyone else who has gone through this process or is going through it.... and neither does my advisor!!

Race will only help you (gotta be underrepresented minority), never hurt you.

Um, if it is helping someone whom you are competing against for a seat at a certain school, doesn't that automatically mean that it is directly hurting you?

My advisor told me the same thing....which I did not believe for second and never went back to her.

come on, be proud of who you are!

no offense, but what about what I said makes you think that I'm not proud of where I come from??

Yeah, I haven't asked her any questions about hte app process. I use SDN as my pre med advisor when it comes to submitting secondaries and such.... thank god, again.