Etiquette for canceling a rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a rotation scheduled for July as a backup and I am just hearing back from another institution that I would really like to attend (better opportunities and program). The problem I am encountering is that their rotation also begins at the same time (4 weeks from today).

I would like the cancel the first one, but I am concerned that by doing so it would reflect badly on my application and screw things up for any students who wanted my spot. However that being said, the program I was accepted to recently is a top 10 program with a research opportunity for me!

Thoughts/opinions on what to do if you're in my shoes? If I were to cancel, what is the proper way of doing so? And, is it unprofessional to cancel so last minute? Any advice would be appreciated. No info on their website about cancellation policies..and I don't want to email them asking (in case that puts me under their radar) haha

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Four weeks notice is the absolute minimum. Beyond that, you risk some angry e-mails/phone calls to your school. Heck, we have to have our paperwork finalized and turned in 30 days out.

Make sure you send the student coordinator a nice e-mail and request a reply as confirmation. They may use this as a reason not to interview you, don't be surprised if you get rejected.

Last edited:
Yeah, your school has policies regarding when you can cancel and how.
Unless it's something beyond emergent like sickness or medical leave of absence, do not delay canceling the rotation. It leaves a bad impression with the scheduling people whom you may need help from in the future. Believe me, I realized how my acts of kindness and respect for my registrar helped me out immensely when I needed it.

Reactions: 1 user