Etiquette for Updating Letter Writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elliejellybean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All my letter writers said something along the lines of keeping them updated on my process of getting into med school. I've gotten a few interviews to my preferred schools, but they're just interviews not acceptances (yet ;-D). Anyway, I don't wanna jump the gun and tell a bunch of people I have xx interviews just for it to not work out lol. Since the holidays are approaching I'm wondering if I wish a happy holiday and say the cycle is coming along well?

Members don't see this ad.

Write a letter starting with, "Yo, homieboy, I just wanna let y'all know I got interviews, bro!"

If you want to send a card wishing them happy holidays with a brief update, then do it. If not, you can always wait until the end when you've decided so you can write something more substantial.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say anything. An interview does not equal an acceptance. So it will be pretty awkward if you tell them that you got X interviews but don't end up with an acceptance (im sure that you will tho!). I think a better approach is to just wish them a happy holiday.

All my letter writers said something along the lines of keeping them updated on my process of getting into med school. I've gotten a few interviews to my preferred schools, but they're just interviews not acceptances (yet ;-D). Anyway, I don't wanna jump the gun and tell a bunch of people I have xx interviews just for it to not work out lol. Since the holidays are approaching I'm wondering if I wish a happy holiday and say the cycle is coming along well?

Being a reapplicant, I waited until I got my acceptance before I wrote VERY excited thank you emails to all of the letter writers telling them the good news. It would suck to get their hopes up only to return to them next cycle and ask for an updated letter (this was one of the worst parts of reapplying for me).

Reactions: 1 user
If you genuinely want to send them a happy holidays wish, then send it. Don't mention anything about med applications - just thank them for writing your letter and tell them you wanted to wish them a happy holidays. Not everything has to be done with an express purpose centered around medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
If you genuinely want to send them a happy holidays wish, then send it. Don't mention anything about med applications - just thank them for writing your letter and tell them you wanted to wish them a happy holidays. Not everything has to be done with an express purpose centered around medical school.
Agree with @aldol.

Thereafter, when you're actually admitted to medical school or hang out your shingle at your first practice, feel free to drop me a line and share your good news with me.

I'm still in contact with an MD-PhD, who was one of my own letter writers in the past. In fact, this same letter writer took a lot of time to prepare three LORS for me, for three distinct programs, in connection with my education, formal training and professional career. Every year, I send the MD-PhD a holiday greeting card just to say hello, that's all.

Well, it depends on your relationship with your writers. I updated via email in late October/early November on interviews. I applied late and no school has released acceptances for my dates yet anyway.

I had fantastic responses to the update then planned to meet for lunch with each when I came back in state for an interview at my alma mater. All asked to be updated again in the new year and then at the end of the cycle when I decide where to go. One in particular wants to be involved in the decision at the end of it comes down to multiple acceptances, which I would be thrilled to have his insight.

If you don't have a longstanding relationship I can see one update after acceptances being okay, as well as/ or the holiday email with a little update. If you have close relationships and keeping in frequent touch isn't unusual just touch base whenever you want!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile