ETSU - Quillen College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dakotaman

Livin' It Up, MS-4 Style
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know of one person on here who probably will be going to ETSU-QCOM aside from me. Anybody else? I'd love to hear from you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I am not going there but I am applying to ETSU, any tips or comments that you can add to those of us interested in applying?

ETSU specializes in rural primary care and is in a rural location...so if you love big cities, it might not be for you. That being said, it's a great school. I'd encourage EVERYONE from Tennessee and anyone from Appalachia (with excellent qualifications) to apply.

Tips...well, the interviews were relaxed. One was kind of a "moral" interview...asking questions related to who I was as a person and what motivated me. Who are my heroes, etc. The other one actually consisted of a lot of political talk. That is, the interviewer asked my opinion on current events, etc. Relating to that, being in the place that it's in, you could imagine it's a fairly conservative school. While that's a wonderful fit for me, it may not be for everyone.

All in all, if you're from Tennessee and want a wonderful, rural, scenic environment in which to attend medical school, ETSU is for you! Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Dakotaman!!!

Guess you won't be moving to Nashville after all!!

Just proves there is hope in waiting!

Best of luck!!!:clap:

I'm on the waitlist...
i don't think it'll happen, but i loved the school. it'd be a great fit for me, but i'm not a TN resident and already have an acceptance to my state school (much cheaper!).
the environment is great and friendly people and excellent staff!!!
great technology and nice new facilities.
my interview was very laid back...one community leader who never really talked to me about medicine, just wanted to see if i could carry a conversation a guess. and one was a 4th year. he was laid back too.
i reccommend the school for sure to anyone not wanting a big city life.
streetdoc

OK guys!
The time has arrived!! I need to decide between Meharry and ETSU within the next two weeks. :) :eek: While I'm ecstatic that I'm in this situation, I'm really don't know what I'm going to do. Here's the situation. I really liked both schools, but *loved* ETSU. I live in Nashville and my fiance is here for at least 2 more years (and I can guarantee that he won't be at ETSU for his residency.) My stomach hurts just thinking about this. :confused:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on ETSU's pros and cons. And for Meharry too. :) Thanks!

Manta, congratulations!! :clap:

I'm biased, but go to ETSU! :D

so how is the decision making coming, manta?
i too had to make a difficult decision about which school to attend so i wish you the best with a tough choice!

congrats on having options,
streetdoc

Ok guys, I'm going to ETSU! :)
This was definitely one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. I'm glad it's over, because I wasn't getting a whole lot of sleep...
So, now I have to think about moving! Dakotaman, do you have a place to live yet? I think I'm going to drive up July 4th weekend to go apartment shopping.
Thanks for your support guys. :love:

Manta,

Happy to have you STILL aboard Quillen '07! :)

Nope, no place yet. I'm gonna start calling early next week and snag me a pad.

(PM me if you wanna talk more in detail about anything else!)

Anybody else on here starting at Quillen next week? Speak up! :)

Bump, hey guys I know this is an old thread, but.....just got a 2ndary back from ETSU, any suggestions from those who've already had interviews. How did you answer the ?'s

I used seperate pieces of paper to answer most of the secondary other than that part that is easily filled out in the PDF format. I would suggest that your pick the questions out of the list that they give you that you can really go to town on. The interview is really laid back and they are really nice there. I just found out today I was put on hold and its my number one choice. They tell you in the interview that most people get placed on hold so it really wasn't super shocking but I was a little disappointed as I wanted to cancel my other interviews. If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

Have you guys ever been to Johnson City? Where is that vomiting smilie?

I mean how can you go from the glory of Ktown to Johnson city! Screw that!

You know I have just been across the nation (just came back from chicago today) and I was all set on a big city. (I'm a huge sports fan) Three huge factors led me to like ETSU. First I live in Knoxville it is 2.5 hours from my house and my family. Second, in state tuition is 11K a year. Right now I am looking at 200K debt vs 100K if I got in there. Third, it just felt right to me. I like the small class and personally I am there to learn. Thats first and foremost to me. To each their own I guess. Thats my thoughts.