EU-national wanting to do residency in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J363

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. There's a lot of information to be found here, and I hope I could get some help and advice from its members.

To start off, I'm a 3rd year medical student studying in The Netherlands (EU/EEA). Next year I'll be starting clinical rotations and in my 5/6th year I'll have an internship, after that I'll graduate from medical school.

Now, I have plans to move to the UK to live there due to several personal reasons. And of course I'd then like to do my residency training there. I'm interested in Internal Medicine, but my preferences might change over time. Since I'm an EU-national, I don't have to undertake the PLAB-exams so I only have to pass the IELTS-exams. However, there are some things that are unclear to me:

1. How difficult is it to find a residency spot in the UK as an EU-national? Does the location in the UK also matter when finding a spot? I've heard of the NHS having shortages, but I'm not sure whether that makes things easy or not. And there's Brexit to think about now as well.
  2. Is it wise to do a part of my rotations/internship in the UK to build up experience, or has that little influence?
  3. How do I start preparing for this transition? I know there's the IELTS and GMC-registration, but then what? Has anyone been in my situation before? I'd like to hear your experiences and advice, and if you know any contacts I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be interested in that as well. I ve been told that the first interviews are gonna be hard just because British people are good in showing off and if you don't know how to do it you seem worst than them. Dunno if it's true though

It's hard to find someone who's been through the process, I've been looking for answers for a while now and I'm really curious too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked a similar question on Reddit. People said that you can get in the foundation years easily if you don't care where you go. So I guess you have to get in the foundation years and then show them that you know what you re doing so you can go somewhere better. In my opinion this is the only good thing of needing 9 years to get a speciality

The length of time isn't worrying me. Although location is a bit important. I don't have to be in London, because it's very expensive. But I don't want to be in a place too far off either though.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. There's a lot of information to be found here, and I hope I could get some help and advice from its members.

To start off, I'm a 3rd year medical student studying in The Netherlands (EU/EEA). Next year I'll be starting clinical rotations and in my 5/6th year I'll have an internship, after that I'll graduate from medical school.

Now, I have plans to move to the UK to live there due to several personal reasons. And of course I'd then like to do my residency training there. I'm interested in Internal Medicine, but my preferences might change over time. Since I'm an EU-national, I don't have to undertake the PLAB-exams so I only have to pass the IELTS-exams. However, there are some things that are unclear to me:

1. How difficult is it to find a residency spot in the UK as an EU-national? Does the location in the UK also matter when finding a spot? I've heard of the NHS having shortages, but I'm not sure whether that makes things easy or not. And there's Brexit to think about now as well.
  2. Is it wise to do a part of my rotations/internship in the UK to build up experience, or has that little influence?
  3. How do I start preparing for this transition? I know there's the IELTS and GMC-registration, but then what? Has anyone been in my situation before? I'd like to hear your experiences and advice, and if you know any contacts I'd really appreciate it.

Hey! I'm pretty much in the same situation, but I'm coming in almost 1 year later, so I'm hoping you might've gotten some answers in the meantime.

I am from Romania, graduating in 1 year and a half, and I would like to go to the UK for my FP and residency. I would like to go to London, but I'm ok with starting anywhere and going from there. What are the interviews and clinical tests like? Is there any chance of getting in, or is it just a formality on their website?

Thanks!

Hey! I'm pretty much in the same situation, but I'm coming in almost 1 year later, so I'm hoping you might've gotten some answers in the meantime.

I am from Romania, graduating in 1 year and a half, and I would like to go to the UK for my FP and residency. I would like to go to London, but I'm ok with starting anywhere and going from there. What are the interviews and clinical tests like? Is there any chance of getting in, or is it just a formality on their website?

Thanks!

At this time I'm still left in the dark. The route I plan to take is do a part of my clinical rotations in the UK and get more information about what the system there is like. At this time I'm still a med student, so I know very little. I can't be of much help. But I'm glad to see that there's someone in the same boat as me.