European branches of royal college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs_jr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I recently passed my royal colleges exam and got my FRCSC :)

I wanted to know if you pass your canadian board are you able to able to be a member of the british branch or would you have to do their exams too?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible to get your training recognized but not automatic. If you want to practice there you need a GMC license (like the MCC and provincial college combined). If you didn't go to medical school in the EU, then you might need to write the PLAB (similar to the MCCQE1).

After that's sorted they'll need to individually evaluate your specialty training which takes a long time and is expensive. Usually the FRCPSC is well received but they'll go through your rotation evaluations and case logs from residency to make sure you're up to their standards (make sure you have those!!).

The GMC is actually very friendly and helpful if you call them with questions. If relocating is something you're seriously considering I'd start by calling them directly. The main difficulty most people have though isn't the medical license part; finding a job in the EU is really difficult if you're not an EU citizen (they have to hire an EU citizen before anyone else if even one applies).