Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by acurarte, Jun 11, 2002.

1. acurarte

acurarte Member
    7+ Year Member

I realize this subject is taboo and I recently took an oath not to ever perform it. However, what are your real feelings about it? Should it be so taboo???? I am interested to see your response.

2. mddo2b

mddo2b STOP PAGING ME....PLEASE!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Before started my clerkships I was disgusted by the very idea of euthenasia. After my surgery and medicine rotations, my views and definitions of life changed dramatically. Mearly exsisiting on a vent is not living. I believe that people have the right to die with dignity.
    Just my 2 cents

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acurarte

acurarte Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree. It was my first week of internal medicine that I felt like I was just prolonging the torture of one patient who had an inevetible death. Sad! I felt as though I treated my dog with more dignity at his time of death.

4. ThePreacher'sWife

7+ Year Member

As a nurse of 13 years I understand your frustration when you see a dying and suffering patient who's life is merly prolonged at our hands (ie healthcare workers). But I have to ask what the specific cirumstances were. Did the patient have a living will or power of attorney? Was the family making decisions for the patient?
    Personally I think euthanasia IS wrong, but I don't see anything wrong in witholding treatment if the patient requested it. On the other hand, I think it's just as bad to continue aggressive treatment in a patient who is dying and no longer wants to treatment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...