Even worse than gunners...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

la petite mort

girl in a short coat
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...the parasites!

I was in Chem Lab the other day...I always do labs with just one other girl, who isn't particularly bright or proactive but very helpful and good at following my directions. Well, that day another girl asked us if she could do it with us, and since we were the only table with two people (all the rest were already full, with four), there was no way of demurring. This girl, you guys have no idea. She's this total pothead who never shows up to class and constantly says that she's about to switch schools.

First off, she was paranoically afraid of even touching test tubes or beakers that contained any kind of substance. So it was as if she wasn't even there. And at the end, when we each had to solve some chem problems that had to do with what we were doing, she started moaning that she didn't understand anything, not even how to calculate molar percentages (because she never goes to class or studies). So she started hassling us. "Do you understand this? Can you explain this to me?", and we didn't respond because the lab was almost over and we needed to concentrate on solving the problems. And then she had the gall to say "Are you almost done? I need to copy yours, I really want to get out of here."

The worst thing is, she simpered up to me yesterday and said something inane about liking working with us, which means that she'll probably want to mooch off us again next lab. I don't know what to do, if I tell her no I'll probably look like an obnoxious *******, but it does seem fair.

Members don't see this ad.

...the parasites!

I was in Chem Lab the other day...I always do labs with just one other girl, who isn't particularly bright or proactive but very helpful and good at following my directions. Well, that day another girl asked us if she could do it with us, and since we were the only table with two people (all the rest were already full, with four), there was no way of demurring. This girl, you guys have no idea. She's this total pothead who never shows up to class and constantly says that she's about to switch schools.

First off, she was paranoically afraid of even touching test tubes or beakers that contained any kind of substance. So it was as if she wasn't even there. And at the end, when we each had to solve some chem problems that had to do with what we were doing, she started moaning that she didn't understand anything, not even how to calculate molar percentages (because she never goes to class or studies). So she started hassling us. "Do you understand this? Can you explain this to me?", and we didn't respond because the lab was almost over and we needed to concentrate on solving the problems. And then she had the gall to say "Are you almost done? I need to copy yours, I really want to get out of here."

The worst thing is, she simpered up to me yesterday and said something inane about liking working with us, which means that she'll probably want to mooch off us again next lab. I don't know what to do, if I tell her no I'll probably look like an obnoxious *******, but it does seem fair.

Did you mean to post this in pre-allo?

Did you mean to post this in pre-allo?

No, med school is structured different where I live. There's no concept of "pre-med", we take all the typical premed courses (like chem lab) in the first years of the major.

I'm hoping the topic of hanger-on classmates is universal enough to be able to overlook that it's a chem and not, say, anatomy lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to think of a med student mooch. So much of it is solo, if you don't know the material you'll be gone after the first test.

But I sure remember people in undergrad like that. How nice to not have to deal with it anymore.

Yeah this is definitely not a med school comparable thing. If you don't want to do work you don't show up. If you don't get it, your classmates probably don't either. If you don't study, you're done. Basically we've all matured, and people like that have already been very, very weeded out.

...the parasites!

troll

EDIT: never mind, you're from costa rica.

troll

EDIT: never mind, you're from costa rica.

:laugh: Way to go.

OP: Hi there, my favorite orgasmic buddy. I know the type you're talking about... for me, it usually boiled down to finding a nice way to shy away from the mouth-breather who's trying to jack your work. But I guess a "hey, bitch, go to class - it's covered there" might do the trick, too.

:laugh: Way to go.

OP: Hi there, my favorite orgasmic buddy. I know the type you're talking about... for me, it usually boiled down to finding a nice way to shy away from the mouth-breather who's trying to jack your work. But I guess a "hey, bitch, go to class - it's covered there" might do the trick, too.

I'm going to take that to heart. I'm still incensed.

Yeah this is definitely not a med school comparable thing. If you don't want to do work you don't show up. If you don't get it, your classmates probably don't either. If you don't study, you're done. Basically we've all matured, and people like that have already been very, very weeded out.

Word. I'm so glad to be out of undergrad and away from those people. There is a girl EXACTLY like that at my school. She has been there for 5 years and is only a junior, yet she still manages to (miraculously) hang in there. You guys should have seen her mandatory thesis presentation. You would have s***

be nice to her, maybe you can score some weed. :D

be nice to her, maybe you can score some weed. :D

LOL

To the OP,

I don't quite have the same experience but that would be one of my pet peeves. During my school year, I had a couple of labs with these kids who like to surf the internet while we are all trying to enter the data and finish up the lab. Not only he contributed nothing to the group but he was taking up the lab computer, surfing the internet, printing out lecture notes, etc. It was annoying but then, you have to deal with all kinds of people especially in a group setting like this.

Is she hot? Maybe a little quid-pro-quo is in order. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I always told them I didn't know how to do it either and then tell them I'm writing random stuff down, even if I knew exactly what was going on. If that didn't work I found a new lab partner and I acted like that one partner was enough, another person( i.e. the "clinger-on") would be too many people.

People like that are the reason that "weed out" classes exist. She'll be gone before you know it.

I knew a girl like that. I ended up blowing up at her halfway through the semester. She NEVER did her homework and her and her lab partner always seemed to finish their lab before anyone else. At first I thought they had to be extremely bright to be done with physics lab in ten minutes when the rest of the class was there for an hour. Seriously I was like if this is my competition I might as well give up because I feel incompetent. It turns out they never actually DID the lab. They would wait until next week and tell some unsuspecting soul that they lost their data and could they copy that persons' data as their own. I was the unsuspecting soul once and so I let her copy my work. The 2nd time I just lost it. Probably had something with me freaking out about my Italian oral exam and not sure if I conjugated certain verbs the right way. I ended up screaming in a crowded hallway that maybe if she wasn't in such a rush to leave the class that she's PAYING for she would actually find time to write down her own data and that I was not going to risk MY neck because she was to scared to tell her mother that she didn't want to go to college & she wanted to stay home and mooch off of them (she had said that out loud in class once). Surprisingly the rest of the class decided that I was a bitch that was "obviously pms-ing" and one had the audacity to tell me that as a fellow "pre-med " major it was my "duty" to help other students.
Posted via Mobile Device

wow, high school. congrats, really.

Tico! I'm guessing you're in San Jose somewhere?

I studied in CR for a few months, but mostly in pretty remote locations so I don't know a whole lot about government/education there. I've always wondered how med school worked down there. Is it difficult to get into the program or do many people drop out?

from my experience, there are people like that in every lab. they do fine in fresh/soph level core science labs, but later on they usually move on to business :hardy:

Last edited:
Yeah I had a couple girls like that in my UG years. I ended up sleeping with all of them:cool:. What can I say, they usually are hot girls.

You think that's bad? One day in our orgo class our teacher decided to divide the lab into three groups for a complex experiment. Each table had about seven people. This meant that I had to work with people that usually I would never choose as a lab partner.

The experiment started, and most of these people either hadn't read the manual or had not understood what it said. Given that I had already organized all he steps and didn't want to explain every single step to students who weren't willing to do it anyway, I took charge and just told everyone what to do to help. Everything went smoothly and we even were the first to get out. We got some points subtracted, but still, it was an A (96%). Now get this: my teacher had to call me outside to tell me that "there had been complaints against me because I did all the work and 'did not let' anyone else be involved." I was so pissed. After all that work someone in the group had the guts to say something as ridiculous as that. Years later I was told that the complainer was a guy who was barely passing the course. He had beef with me because of some of the interaction I had with the girls in the lab. I am so glad that I am finally out of that school!

OP, I know what you mean about the parasites. Ugh, I can't even go to the library and study in peace sometimes, especially around finals time. I will get NOTHING done because people from my classes will be constantly pestering me to help them. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely generous with my time and love to help people, but sometimes they can get so demanding. There was a girl in my trig class who was extremely demanding. She would expect me to tutor her for hours and when I didn't pick up her phone calls, she would say, "Why didn't you answer your phone? Pick up your phone next time I call you!" She would text me when she couldn't find me in the library and say, "Where are you?" As if I was her personal tutoring slave! Then when I would get together with her she would bring her friends and to be honest, they were pretty dumb. They would want me to do the same problems over and over and they still didn't get it. Then, they would start texting and fighting with each other and messing around WHILE I was tutoring them. They were so ADD and they couldn't focus on anything. They just wanted me to magically "download" knowledge to their brains. I like helping people and tutoring when they're hard working and wanting to try, but when they take advantage, it's another story.

What's amusing to me is that if anyone who doesn't quite understand being in that position reads half of the latest posts, they'd be like, "WOW, what a bunch of conceited *******s."

(No, I know you're not. Don't flame me.)