Even worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.3 c/sgpa . But I have a much higher DO GPA. My mcat is in July. Louisiana in state, most likely lsu -Shreveport. Is this just unattainable and should I just stick withDO, or is it doable? Thank you!

Good app/EC.. No research. Confident with my PS

Members don't see this ad.

This belongs in WAMC. However, without a MCAT score and any details of your activities and NO research, I would safely say that it is difficult to gauge your chances, but it's most likely low as it stands. BTW, everyone thinks their PS is great ;)

I would definitely at least apply to the schools in LA and broadly to DO schools of course. Otherwise you might be asking yourself "what if?" afterwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're taking the MCAT awfully late for this application cycle... I've heard admissions counselors tell students to wait a year to apply if they plan on taking the MCAT the same summer. Why hurt yourself by applying late?

Unless you do amazing on the MCAT, are a URM, and/or have a special story, I would advise against applying to too many MD schools if any.

Wat do you think amazing would be in my case to get into LSU Shreveport?

Idk LSU's stats of matriculating students from last year - get on MSAR and check out there stats- for example I am applying EDP to an in state school that only accepts GA residents and last year they accepted a student w/ a 3.14 but keep in mind this was the 10th percentile and we have no clue what his/her MCAT scores are, they also accepted students w/ a 24 MCAT. Don't be discouraged if you MCAT scores are decent and ECs great you might get some interviews- I wouldn't harp on some ppl on SDNs opinions bc some of these students are only considering top 20 schools so obviously those stats and admiss req will be much higher

Wat do you think amazing would be in my case to get into LSU Shreveport?

It doesn't have to be amazing. Lucky for you, you are a fellow Louisianian, and we can get into LSU with stats others can only dream about. 29+ would probably get you serious consideration.

My GPA was roughly the same as yours, though I did have other things in my app to make me stand out. I wouldn't give up on MD schools if that's what you're set on, but having a strong MCAT and other achievements would really help, or you should be prepared to reapply.

LSU Shreveport is a fine school. I met a few folks from that school on the interview trail. They matched well in the competitive specialty we were interviewing for.

My GPA was roughly the same as yours, though I did have other things in my app to make me stand out. I wouldn't give up on MD schools if that's what you're set on, but having a strong MCAT and other achievements would really help, or you should be prepared to reapply.

LSU Shreveport is a fine school. I met a few folks from that school on the interview trail. They matched well in the competitive specialty we were interviewing for.

Yea my older bro went to lsu and Is now a gen surge. Well ill try to stick it with the mcat and see what happens. I don't care what school I go to, I was just considering lsu for the price. Thanks for all the responses!