Eventual Practice Location and Impact on School Decision

Discussion in 'Dental' started by PSU SHC 414, Jan 2, 2009.

1. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Happy New Year everyone!

Just wondering how much all of you think that where you eventually plan to practice should factor into a person's decision about where to go to school?

I know that different regional licensing exams is a consideration. Aside from that, though, some of the dentists I talked to have said that going to a dental school that is in proximity to where you'd ultimately want to practice will likely create good networking opportunities? Is this really that much of an edge when it comes to post-grad employment opportunities?

Thanks!

2. texas_dds

texas_dds Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    i can say that having local connections is incredibly helpful. it was instrumental in my case. also, its challenging to form a real dialogue with potential employers or practice sellers two time zones away. that being said, i am all for the adventurous spirit of people going out on a limb and studying in a new place for a couple years.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cobalt31

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    texas_dds, are you practicing in washington or texas? just out of curiosity, if one does some sort of residency or certificate program after dental school, would the location of that then trump the location of the dental school?