Ever dealt with rude and mean dental school instructors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mauricio45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Care to share some stories? The worse at my school were some of the perio instructors. I remember some of them were nitpicky in regards to probing depths, and they would chew me out in front of the patient. I've had some instructors who I remembered that I would always avoid by not scheduling patients at the same timeslots they were in. But most professors at my school were fine and were glad to teach us.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm preclinic (D2) but I have been assisting with the D3s and D4s and saw them getting chewed out by instructors. I choose to think that if I was getting chewed out, it's for my benefit and the patient's benefit. I understand it's upsetting but I'd rather spend time on improving myself and my skills than worrying about it.

I'm preclinic (D2) but I have been assisting with the D3s and D4s and saw them getting chewed out by instructors. I choose to think that if I was getting chewed out, it's for my benefit and the patient's benefit. I understand it's upsetting but I'd rather spend time on improving myself and my skills than worrying about it.

I would think theres more ways to benefit the student than to chew them out lol.

Some of the best educators in my school (UB)are some of the kindest souls and extremely humble. Its gotten to the point where they've become dental role models for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's been about a year since I graduated dental school. I recalled one incident a couple of years ago where a faculty chewed me out, but it was well-deserved. When I was a D3 starting out in clinic, during a scaling and root planing appointment, I made the mistake of not capping the needle of the syringe after using it, and I foolishly left an uncapped needle on the tray. Needless to say, the perio resident (who was new to the school) was pissed and lost his temper in front of the patient. He pulled me aside and told me that I was the first student that he has ever failed and that he never failed anybody else before. He also told me that he didn't want me to go home feeling like I did a good job, and he stated this to me right in front of other classmates. Of course I was embarrassed, but I learnt after that to always cap the needle after using it. But I also made sure never to schedule patients with that same instructor again. My advice to anyone in D school, don't take faculty criticisms personal and learn from your mistakes, and just know that you are one step closer towards graduation.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm a co-assistant in one of a government universities in my country. When I was in perio department, it was one of the worse "instructor" experience so far. Not only the instructor was very naggy, but also it was very hard to meet her, she was very moody, scary, whenever we talk to her, she got angry, very sensitive that we didn't know how to treated her lol. Coz everything is a mistake in her eyes. You wouldn't imagine how hard it was to ask for discussion schedule. Worse is, she's the "boss" there. Luckily m done with her. But the positive thing is i learnt a lot lot from her..since she's the best in perio. No pain no gain bro.. after that I felt like a winner when I got her sign. Haha.. when you give up, that's the time you lose your faith..and fail. Come on everyone , let's work hard :D

Why is it consistently perio that causes students the most problems?

Reactions: 3 users
News flash.....

When you get out of dental school, from time to time instead of dealing with rude, mean faculty, you'll be dealing with the occasional rude, mean patients! That's just a fact of life, that some people, for whatever reasons, don't seem to be "happy" unless they're unhappy!

Ha, I could write a book.

One of the most egregious off the top of my head: brought in a pt that was having pain from a filling I placed a month before. She comes in, we do the whole run around getting start checks, blood pressure, etc, check the occlusion. Start to suspect it's gonna need a RCT so now we've got to the whole endo rigamaroll of cold testing contralateral teeth, PVTs, etc. Time runs out, clinic over. Come back tomorrow. So next day she comes back in, run through the whole endo rigamaroll once again, trying to get start checks and stuff, by this time it is 3pm. appt is 1-5. I see the chair of endo dept walking by, and he's a bit of a...aggressive person, shall we say. I know before I open my mouth this is not going to go well. "Hey dr. dingus, can I get a start check" (knowing this should have been done 2 hours ago but because of all the protocols I had to follow, it was impossible)...He looks at the clock and just flies off the handle. "Why are you just now getting started? You expect to do that root canal in under 2 hours? No way your starting that today, I'm not staying late." Then I tell him, "hey, this pt was here yesterday, shes back here today because of all the bureacratic BS, she's in pain and I need to do this endo." Then he flies off the handle that the pt had been there yesterday and nothing was done (as if any of this is my fault) and orders me to assist a resident while they do a pulpectomy. Mind you, I have already painstakingly set up all my equipment (lots of stuff for endo) and done all the leg work and this guy is taking my requirement away from me for no reason other than the school has too many policies and protocols and were slow as hell to start check. I say fine, I'll assist. I turn to the resident and say, "go get your equipment, if I'm not getting the credit, you're not using my stuff". I packed my **** up and sat there just BOILING while she did the pulpectomy. Top 3 most pissed off I've ever been in my life. Fired off an email to dr. dingus, my group leader, and cc'd the clinic director as soon as I got home documenting my experience. Dr. dingus must have gotten an earful because he brings me into his office a day or 2 later and basically says "my bad, I'll let you get credit for the endo" We actually ended up being cool after that, i guess he realized I wasn't his door mat.

If i have time I'll add a couple more stories later on.

News flash.....

When you get out of dental school, from time to time instead of dealing with rude, mean faculty, you'll be dealing with the occasional rude, mean patients! That's just a fact of life, that some people, for whatever reasons, don't seem to be "happy" unless they're unhappy!

But you get PAID to deal with the dinguses. And that makes a world of difference. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Ha, I could write a book.

One of the most egregious off the top of my head: brought in a pt that was having pain from a filling I placed a month before. She comes in, we do the whole run around getting start checks, blood pressure, etc, check the occlusion. Start to suspect it's gonna need a RCT so now we've got to the whole endo rigamaroll of cold testing contralateral teeth, PVTs, etc. Time runs out, clinic over. Come back tomorrow. So next day she comes back in, run through the whole endo rigamaroll once again, trying to get start checks and stuff, by this time it is 3pm. appt is 1-5. I see the chair of endo dept walking by, and he's a bit of a...aggressive person, shall we say. I know before I open my mouth this is not going to go well. "Hey dr. dingus, can I get a start check" (knowing this should have been done 2 hours ago but because of all the protocols I had to follow, it was impossible)...He looks at the clock and just flies off the handle. "Why are you just now getting started? You expect to do that root canal in under 2 hours? No way your starting that today, I'm not staying late." Then I tell him, "hey, this pt was here yesterday, shes back here today because of all the bureacratic BS, she's in pain and I need to do this endo." Then he flies off the handle that the pt had been there yesterday and nothing was done (as if any of this is my fault) and orders me to assist a resident while they do a pulpectomy. Mind you, I have already painstakingly set up all my equipment (lots of stuff for endo) and done all the leg work and this guy is taking my requirement away from me for no reason other than the school has too many policies and protocols and were slow as hell to start check. I say fine, I'll assist. I turn to the resident and say, "go get your equipment, if I'm not getting the credit, you're not using my stuff". I packed my **** up and sat there just BOILING while she did the pulpectomy. Top 3 most pissed off I've ever been in my life. Fired off an email to dr. dingus, my group leader, and cc'd the clinic director as soon as I got home documenting my experience. Dr. dingus must have gotten an earful because he brings me into his office a day or 2 later and basically says "my bad, I'll let you get credit for the endo" We actually ended up being cool after that, i guess he realized I wasn't his door mat.

If i have time I'll add a couple more stories later on.

But you get PAID to deal with the dinguses. And that makes a world of difference. :)

Handled like a pro.

Reactions: 1 user
Did I ever have rude and mean dental school instructors?

Yes! That is why I gleefully refuse to send a nickel to my school when I get the letters requesting help from the alumni.

Reactions: 1 users
Did I ever have rude and mean dental school instructors?

Yes! That is why I gleefully refuse to send a nickel to my school when I get the letters requesting help from the alumni.

Did you tell them why you refuse to donate?

He pulled me aside and told me that I was the first student that he has ever failed and that he never failed anybody else before. He also told me that he didn't want me to go home feeling like I did a good job

Wow. That's pretty harsh. :laugh:

Yes I did tell them why.
the first time the dean took me off the mailing list. However after he left I started getting requests again.

Yepp. Occasionally. Doesn't go away when you get out though.