ever heard of part-time residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteogal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any information about residencies that can be done on a part-time basis. I heard some hospitals offer this to women who have families. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by osteogal:
I was wondering if anyone has any information about residencies that can be done on a part-time basis. I heard some hospitals offer this to women who have families. Thanks!

Sure - they are more common in the "female" friendly fields of Paeds, Ob-Gyn, and FP. Often referred to as "Shared Residencies", they are designed so that 2 residents share the position. They are MUCH MUCH less common in surgical fields.

For more information on specific programs, check out http://www.ama-assn.org/freida

Each program has a information on whether sharing a position is ok. Some require that you find the other resident yourself - a fair task if you ask me. I would also check out the Medical Moms web site (sorry I don't have the URL) because I'll bet those gals have the line on more specific details.

Members don't see this ad :)
The info. posted is a lot of help. I will be starting medical school this fall and am an older student. I'd like to start a family at least by residency but have been concerned that medical training & family may not mix. And the clock is definitely ticking so I can't wait too long. I'll check out the websites that have been suggested. Thanks kimberlicox & shania!

Glad we could help Osteogal (and thanks BTW, for the mommd URL).

As an Osteopathic student (I'm assuming from your name) you can participate in either the osteopathic or allopathic match. Just because I was curious, I did a search on FREIDA (the AMA resource I listed in my first post) and selected only FP programs, in New England which offered Shared or Part-time Residencies. These are the results:

Family Practice

University of Connecticut Program
Hartford, CT 120-08-21-076
Greater Lawrence Family Health Center Program
Lawrence, MA 120-24-21-528
University of Massachusetts (Fitchburg) Program
Fitchburg, MA 120-24-31-159
University of Massachusetts Program
Worcester, MA 120-24-21-160
Central Maine Medical Center Program
Lewiston, ME 120-22-11-153
Eastern Maine Medical Center Program
Bangor, ME 120-22-12-152
Maine-Dartmouth Family Practice Program
Augusta, ME 120-22-22-151
Concord Hospital Program
Concord, NH 120-32-31-557
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Program
Hanover, NH 120-32-21-551

The numbers following each are just NRMP program numbers. Anyway, its worth taking a gander at your field of interest and selecting for those that offer Shared Residencies.

Good luck!

Great tips Kimberlicox-thanks!