Ever heard of someone faking an acceptance / too good to be true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Please delete this post or let me know if I need to take it down as it goes against some kind of rule.*

Preface: This will be kind of long, but if you want to share your own opinion, experience, and thoughts then please feel free.

Does anyone have people in their mind that they know who are trying to get into medical or PA school, and you just hope they do not get in? Not because you are competing against them, but because they are simply a terrible person? Well, here is my story. This particular individual started off wanting to be a PA, then took a few gap years to instead apply MD. This person is entirely self-involved - almost narcissistic and a lot superficial, hates failure (because failure means they aren't better than you anymore). This individual hates DO's - for no other reason than that they "just are not as good as MDs." Has the attitude of, "I am just better than you." For example, for no reason at all, we were at a party, and s/he openly stated that s/he was the least racist person in the room - I repeat, for no reason, like we legit were playing monopoly. Further, s/he has TONS of volunteer experience / clinical experience. But has openly screamed and acted a fool over "gross" things in front of patients at a nursing home, and then has stated "dementia patients don't know whats happening to them anyways" in front of a dementia patient. Another example; they recently volunteered for a healthcare clinic, showed up for the free shirt and left. (I know these things happened because I work with them, and usually all the pre-meds volunteer for the same things). These are just some example for you all to grasp the personality.

Last summer when we were all studying for the MCAT, s/he would not share notes, would not help us understand concepts, etc. Remember, we were ALL studying TOGETHER in the same library, but when s/he asked for help, we gave it. It really came down to s/he did not want us to do better. Fast forward, and s/he MCAT score came back in July. It was so low s/he wouldn't even tell us what it was but our best guess was 500-503. We urged them to look into DO, take it again, etc, etc. Instead, they put off their application until OCT, where they applied only to our two state MD schools; was outright rejected at one within 3 weeks - no secondary even offered. Fast forward, to early March. This individual started saying that they "did not care" if they got in, they would "just take the GRE (they also said they were not gonna study cause it is just the GRE and super easy) and go to PA school, but only Duke and other top tiers," etc. Then, they were given an II on the same day I was given a II to a different school (This is where the story gets interesting and I really want some feedback). I texted the group about my II, and s/he responded that they also had one. Weird flex that they would not tell us anyways. As the interviews drew near, s/he began saying that they did not care how their interview went or if they did bad because they did not really care if they became a doctor. The days leading up, I said asked them to let me know how it goes, to which s/he responded with, "why, so you'll have a leg up next cycle? Nah."

This person got the last interview day the school offered on 4/5 (friday), and got the call for acceptance on 4/8 (monday). The only reason I know this is because his roommate texted us and told us, but s/he has not said anything to us. They have not even posted anything anywhere which is strange because s/he would be the first person to post their super awesome, look at me achievement. Honestly, I am a little skeptical of the whole thing - the interview invite on the same day (or before me but just did not say anything), the late primary, the late interview, the low MCAT, the poor personality, the immediate acceptance, knowing other people with better scores be WL way earlier and still remain on the WL, and the total silence since acceptance. I am kind of waiting for the post that says, " yeah I got in, but I have decided to pursue other interests." If sh/e did get in, then good for them for accomplishing their goals, but it would make me kind of lose faith in the system a little bit.

What is everyone's opinion on this post? Has anyone every heard of someone faking an acceptance just to look good / like they did not fail?

Honestly, I know this sounds like I am the upset premed - but I really am not. I am more just flabbergasted that this type of person got in on this kind of timeline which does make me question this system. Ultimately, I know I should mind my business, but this has been weighing on me since it all came out.

Members don't see this ad.

*Please delete this post or let me know if I need to take it down as it goes against some kind of rule.*

Preface: This will be kind of long, but if you want to share your own opinion, experience, and thoughts then please feel free.

Does anyone have people in their mind that they know who are trying to get into medical or PA school, and you just hope they do not get in? Not because you are competing against them, but because they are simply a terrible person? Well, here is my story. This particular individual started off wanting to be a PA, then took a few gap years to instead apply MD. This person is entirely self-involved - almost narcissistic and a lot superficial, hates failure (because failure means they aren't better than you anymore). This individual hates DO's - for no other reason than that they "just are not as good as MDs." Has the attitude of, "I am just better than you." For example, for no reason at all, we were at a party, and s/he openly stated that s/he was the least racist person in the room - I repeat, for no reason, like we legit were playing monopoly. Further, s/he has TONS of volunteer experience / clinical experience. But has openly screamed and acted a fool over "gross" things in front of patients at a nursing home, and then has stated "dementia patients don't know whats happening to them anyways" in front of a dementia patient. Another example; they recently volunteered for a healthcare clinic, showed up for the free shirt and left. (I know these things happened because I work with them, and usually all the pre-meds volunteer for the same things). These are just some example for you all to grasp the personality.

Last summer when we were all studying for the MCAT, s/he would not share notes, would not help us understand concepts, etc. Remember, we were ALL studying TOGETHER in the same library, but when s/he asked for help, we gave it. It really came down to s/he did not want us to do better. Fast forward, and s/he MCAT score came back in July. It was so low s/he wouldn't even tell us what it was but our best guess was 500-503. We urged them to look into DO, take it again, etc, etc. Instead, they put off their application until OCT, where they applied only to our two state MD schools; was outright rejected at one within 3 weeks - no secondary even offered. Fast forward, to early March. This individual started saying that they "did not care" if they got in, they would "just take the GRE (they also said they were not gonna study cause it is just the GRE and super easy) and go to PA school, but only Duke and other top tiers," etc. Then, they were given an II on the same day I was given a II to a different school (This is where the story gets interesting and I really want some feedback). I texted the group about my II, and s/he responded that they also had one. Weird flex that they would not tell us anyways. As the interviews drew near, s/he began saying that they did not care how their interview went or if they did bad because they did not really care if they became a doctor. The days leading up, I said asked them to let me know how it goes, to which s/he responded with, "why, so you'll have a leg up next cycle? Nah."

This person got the last interview day the school offered on 4/5 (friday), and got the call for acceptance on 4/8 (monday). The only reason I know this is because his roommate texted us and told us, but s/he has not said anything to us. They have not even posted anything anywhere which is strange because s/he would be the first person to post their super awesome, look at me achievement. Honestly, I am a little skeptical of the whole thing - the interview invite on the same day (or before me but just did not say anything), the late primary, the late interview, the low MCAT, the poor personality, the immediate acceptance, knowing other people with better scores be WL way earlier and still remain on the WL, and the total silence since acceptance. I am kind of waiting for the post that says, " yeah I got in, but I have decided to pursue other interests." If sh/e did get in, then good for them for accomplishing their goals, but it would make me kind of lose faith in the system a little bit.

What is everyone's opinion on this post? Has anyone every heard of someone faking an acceptance just to look good / like they did not fail?

Honestly, I know this sounds like I am the upset premed - but I really am not. I am more just flabbergasted that this type of person got in on this kind of timeline which does make me question this system. Ultimately, I know I should mind my business, but this has been weighing on me since it all came out.
I didn’t read any of your post except for the first question. But yes, there are people who I frankly tell “you should not be applying to medicine.” Whether it is because they are on their 4th MCAT at <490, or they are only 19 and not mature enough...there are people that should not apply (at least not ‘now’) but still do.

I would like to challenge, however, that viewing it all as a competition will make you feel like a victim of you don’t get in. If you are not accepted, seeing it as a competition may make you feel it is ‘their fault’ because they were just so outstanding. If you don’t get in it is not because anyone else was better than you, it is because you were not good enough. #defeatist

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to challenge, however, that viewing it all as a competition will make you feel like a victim of you don’t get in. If you are not accepted, seeing it as a competition may make you feel it is ‘their fault’ because they were just so outstanding. If you don’t get in it is not because anyone else was better than you, it is because you were not good enough. #defeatist
Yes. I realize this, and I agree. I know that you did not read the whole post, but I do not view this person as competition in any way or feel like a victim. I, personally, am still waiting to hear back from my interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
Being this concerned about someone else’s life won’t do you any good. Focus on yours.

Reactions: 15 users

You are the upset premed. Let it go

Reactions: 13 users
I know someone going to Hopkins nursing that likes to brag about how they're going to Hopkins med. Not sure if that's what you nean, but yeah some people put a lot of value in their status as a med student/accepted student whether it's real or fabricated.

Reactions: 6 users
I know someone going to Hopkins nursing that likes to brag about how they're going to Hopkins med. Not sure if that's what you nean, but yeah some people put a lot of value in their status as a med student/accepted student whether it's real or fabricated.

I feel like people are really only hurting their own well being and self confidence by doing things like this. Every time you lie about who you are, you start to get more insecure about yourself.

And she shouldn’t even have to lie. Being a Hopkins nursing student is definitely an accomplishment.

Reactions: 3 users
They’re obviously lying. But who cares? How does it change your life or plans?
Focus on yourself and ditch this loser.

Reactions: 7 users
These two statements are contradictory.
Not really. If I was upset, it’d be angry that s/he got in and I didn’t - which really isn’t necessarily reality.

It’s weighing on me because up until recently, this person was someone I considered to be a friend - though I didn’t like some of their mannerisms. But now I just feel like their outright lying to me and everyone else who helped them get in - if they actually got in. The lying part is what has been weighing on me. If they got in, then I would be happy for them, but it’s just so much shadiness right now from their end

These two statements are contradictory.
To OP...You do you. Outside of large system wide issues (like the recent college admissions scandal) the likelihood of the acts of others affecting you is zilch. Stay in your lane and be the best you that you can be.

Reactions: 1 users
All the time, my friend.

There are some people who, put simply, do not belong in medicine. Fortunately, in my personal experiences, the premedical path weeds almost all of these people out before application time. Many of the rest get tossed out during application season for one reason or another.

If it makes you feel better, I think that 99% of my class absolutely deserves to be here and will make wonderful doctors one day.

Not really. If I was upset, it’d be angry that s/he got in and I didn’t - which really isn’t necessarily reality.

It’s weighing on me because up until recently, this person was someone I considered to be a friend - though I didn’t like some of their mannerisms. But now I just feel like their outright lying to me and everyone else who helped them get in - if they actually got in. The lying part is what has been weighing on me. If they got in, then I would be happy for them, but it’s just so much shadiness right now from their end

So yes... You are still upset. Why are you still thinking about this if you aren’t upset?

Members don't see this ad :)

People lie all the time.

Why are you even dealing with this toxic person? You are not going to change them. And no, she's not your friend. Get over it.

You do you.

Reactions: 9 users
Put this person in your rear view mirror and be done with them forever. They sound like a nasty person not worthy of your friendship. The first time I got a nasty reply like that would be the last. Good luck and goodbye!
And stop caring about stuff like this. You’ll be a lot happier. Someone is always going to have an easier path, better connections, marry better, retire earlier, make better investments. Good for them. Just focus on yourself, maintaining balance, etc.

Reactions: 4 users

Does anyone have people in their mind that they know who are trying to get into medical or PA school, and you just hope they do not get in? Not because you are competing against them, but because they are simply a terrible person?

The med school admissions process is imperfect. Most people who don’t belong in medicine are weeded out prior to admission, but not all. I’ve mentioned this before, but there was a poster here on SDN who applied when I did who rubbed me the wrong way. He would often comment derisively about patients even as a pre-med and would make comments about how parents who didn’t pay for their kid’s med school were selfish or lazy - things like that that suggested a lack of empathy. I hoped he wouldn’t get in, but he did eventually get a few acceptances. And then, a few years later, he was expelled from his school for stalking and harassing multiple female classmates.

Some people look good on paper and can fake being a decent person in interviews. There’s not a whole lot you can do about it either way, unfortunately.

• Wow
  • Love
Well if they are so terrible, why are they your friend? Time to start a new groupchat without this person.

The med school admissions process is imperfect. Most people who don’t belong in medicine are weeded out prior to admission, but not all. I’ve mentioned this before, but there was a poster here on SDN who applied when I did who rubbed me the wrong way. He would often comment derisively about patients even as a pre-med and would make comments about how parents who didn’t pay for their kid’s med school were selfish or lazy - things like that that suggested a lack of empathy. I hoped he wouldn’t get in, but he did eventually get a few acceptances. And then, a few years later, he was expelled from his school for stalking and harassing multiple female classmates.

Some people look good on paper and can fake being a decent person in interviews. There’s not a whole lot you can do about it either way, unfortunately.
Was that the foot guy?

Reactions: 2 users
I know one premed who lied on their applications about their shadowing and volunteering hours. Another premed who only did extracurriculars and got a leadership position in the same club as me where I also had a leadership position. This person wasn’t nice, didn’t do even half their job, didn’t show up a lot, and didn’t care about our members and even talked bad about some of them. Another premed I know quit nursing after a couple of months and said she is too good to be wiping people’s butts (as if that is the only thing they do). Other than a couple of months nursing this 30 year old has never had a job and right now doesn’t have one. She takes a couple of classes a semester, doesn’t do research, and said she will do a little bit of volunteering because in the end according to her med schools don’t really care. Oh and takes a lavish vacation after every semester and sometimes on weekends will take a trip out of town. She is racist and has talked about poor people in a belittling way. The last 2 people especially I wouldn’t want to be a doctor or any kind of job working with the public. Unfortunately some of these people fall through the cracks and become doctors. We’ve all been to doctors for various reasons and there are 2 of them that I’ve had who weren’t nice and didn’t care about me or my health. Just like in any business there are bad people. It happens. But don’t let it get you bitter or change who you are. Just be you.

Last edited:
Was that the foot guy?

I think so, amongst other things like photoshopping FB photos and posting them to creeper websites. There was a whole thread about it here when the news first broke.

What's *also* unfortunate is that there are people on the flip side of this. Genuinely intelligent, kind, caring and qualified people who somehow fall through the cracks and don't make it.

Last edited:
What's even more unfortunate is that there are people on the flip side of this. Genuinely intelligent, kind, caring and qualified people who somehow fall through the cracks and don't make it.

I personally disagree that it's more unfortunate - it's certainly a shame that not everyone who could make a good doctor gets in, but those people can also make positive impacts in other realms. Being a doctor isn't the end-all, be-all. I'd consider it a bigger deal that bad eggs get through, since they could potentially harm patients (or worse).

Reactions: 6 users
I personally disagree that it's more unfortunate - it's certainly a shame that not everyone who could make a good doctor gets in, but those people can also make positive impacts in other realms. Being a doctor isn't the end-all, be-all. I'd consider it a bigger deal that bad eggs get through, since they could potentially harm patients (or worse).

lol actually I agree with this

Apparently you've never heard of @_twolittlebears...

Oh God, her.

She's multilayered cake of lies. Why can't she just be honest about her journey trying to get into medical school? I think her ego's too tied to becoming a doctor.
I was unaware of this person and after some googling am just sad for her

OP, I know someone who lied and told me her sister got accepted to medical school, but decided she wanted to be a nurse instead because the work hours were so much better, so she turned the acceptance down. It was her way of downplaying the hard work others had done to get in. I was 100% sure that her sister had never applied to med school, never took the pre-reqs, never volunteered, and probably has no desire to be a doctor. When I last spoke with the sister a couple of months ago (in front of the sister who lied to me), she told me she was going to apply to get into the nursing program and was retaking some classes this semester due to low grades. The sister who lied to me probably didn’t even remember the lie she told me at Thanksgiving because she is a pathological liar. This same person also told her family and loved ones that she had a deadly cancer and she only had 2-3 months to live. Her sister believed her and started a Go Fund Me page. That was 5 years ago.

I don’t call her out on her lies anymore because it’s not worth my time and energy. When she said she had cancer I called her out on that doozy and we didn’t speak after that for 6 months. But I have since given up on discussing any lies she starts to talk about and I just change the subject.

Your “friend” is obviously trying to save his/her ego and everyone knows it. You have two choices — call him/her out on the lie, or when he/she talks about it just change the subject and don’t give it another thought. I recommend the latter. Thinking about it is just going to bother you when it doesn’t have any impact on your life whatsoever. Brush it off, change the subject, and move on. If your “friend” sends a group text that he/she got accepted and is turning it down, don’t respond. Your silence will speak volumes. If he/she mentions it in person, just say “Oh” and then quickly change the subject. Good luck with the rest of the cycle. I hope an acceptance is coming your way soon!

• Haha
Lying is all over the place. You can't let yourself get too bogged down with it, but I know, sometimes it's just mind-blowing. Have an old acquaintance who said they got into med school at Seattle U...and hashtagged their name as #pagingdoctorX. (It's an NP program.)

• Wow
Recently heard about someone from my undergrad who was telling people that they got into Princeton for medical school...

well, u can prolly find out if they ever post a white coat pic/change their linkedin or get the "o i turned it down" story

Sometimes I feel like I am banging my head against the wall.
In case it makes you feel any better, I took your advice and waited before applying. I'm going to medical school this year. Thank you.

There are plenty of obnoxious and narcissistic pre-meds, and definitely, some I (secretly) wished that they don't get in. After some time, I've realized that they're not worth my time and I feel bad that they're so insecure they're willing to squash relationships around them. I've seen a student brag that their small liberal arts school is harder than Harvard (never heard of said school). Then he bragged that he to a Top 20 for grad school (in reality they never went to that school but used the city name which happened to have the same name as said school). It really wasn't a big deal but he was hoping to name drop and seem superior, which is just sad. FWIW he's a medical student now. I knew a pre-med student that was shadowing a surgeon that liked to work with pre-med students, so when she was leaving our city I asked her if I could get in contact with him to shadow for a day. She said she's worked really hard to be where she's at and I need to make my own network/connections (wtf). I've learned to let go and accept that either these people will have to change, or risk not having any friends. They have no bearing on my life or my future.

Last edited:
@Rogue42, it sounds like you just needed to vent about a ****ty friend. This isn't really the place to do that, and everyone here is just going to give you platitudes about worrying about yourself. They're not wrong, but it also sounds like you need advice on how to deal with this your ****ty friend. Something like r/relationships would be far better suited.

Recently heard about someone from my undergrad who was telling people that they got into Princeton for medical school...

LOL, if it’s MD/PhD, you actually can go to Princeton for the PhD part! (RWJMS)

I disagree with OP. All types of people are needed in Healthcare and Medicine is such a large field that almost everyone (including terrible people) will find a home.

If only bleeding hearts and "nice" people got in we would have a severe surgeon shortage IMO

I disagree with OP. All types of people are needed in Healthcare and Medicine is such a large field that almost everyone (including terrible people) will find a home.

If only bleeding hearts and "nice" people got in we would have a severe surgeon shortage IMO

Yes, medicine would be much worse off without the Andrew Wakefields and Christopher Duntsches of the world.

• Haha
Yes, medicine would be much worse off without the Andrew Wakefields and Christopher Duntsches of the world.

Likening every slightly socially awkward and not-so-sensitive person to be a sociopath or anti-vax is a bit hyperbolic, wouldn’t you say?

Likening every slightly socially awkward and not-so-sensitive person to be a sociopath or anti-vax is a bit hyperbolic, wouldn’t you say?

It is. Fortunately that's not what I did. Read the post I quoted (including the part in the parentheses) and then read my post again.

It is. Fortunately that's not what I did. Read the post I quoted (including the part in the parentheses) and then read my post again.

I took “terrible” lightly to mean “dingus” but if you took it more literally, fair enough.

Edit: today I learned “@ssh0le” autocorrects to “dingus.”

Last edited:

I used the word "terrible" in the same sense the OP did. OP said the "terrible" person "is entirely self-involved - almost narcissistic and a lot superficial, hates failure". Thanks for your valuable input.

I took “terrible” lightly to mean “dingus” but if you took it more literally, fair enough.

Edit: today I learned “@ssh0le” autocorrects to “dingus.”

I took “terrible” and “all kinds” to mean what they actually mean lol. But I still disagree and think giant dinguses should stay away from patients.

My aunt knew someone who claimed to be a member of my class at my medical school (while also working ft as a nurse). She was not. Seemed to have a motivation to fool her husband for some reason, surely the deception couldn’t last forever and I don’t know what’s become of her now. But yes, the world includes some pretty brazen liars.

I thought of someone when I saw your thread title but I misunderstood what you were asking..

I worked with a particular guy for nearly 4 years. Early on, he told me he was taking classes at community college so that he could transfer. He ended up getting into Stanford. When I asked one day about where he would be applying for medical school, he looked at me as though I had lost it and said that he was in medical school. Conversations with him made it seem as though he were transferring for undergrad...

Two years later, he apparently finished medical school and would begin as an intern in the middle east for over 100k.

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to graduate from med school in two years...

He lied about other things so I began to really question whether or not he actually attended Stanford and whether or not he was actually in medical school.

For instance, he once told me he was in the peace corps in S. Africa. This interested me. We talked about it on two occasions. I was present as he told other people about it. A couple years down the line when I brought it up again, he said that he was never in S. Africa. I mentioned the peace corps and he changed his story, saying that no, he was in Bolivia....I am positive, however, that he stated he was in S. Africa. I had shared that I was interesting in visiting S. Africa some day and I asked about his living arrangement while there...

He also claimed once that he had a modeling gig in New York for Joe Boxer and that he would make 15k from it.

Said he owned a 3 bedroom home and was paying mortgage on it. Also, while working at a gym that he claimed to manage, said he had to represent his employee in court (he was just 22 years old...)

Last edited:
  • Haha
There is a great joe rogan podcast episode talking about a guy how got kind of famous around California for pretending to be a champion fighter but always claiming they were these super secret undergund fights

Ended up getting arrested for attempted murder or something

People are hard to predict