Ever read 'The House of God'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gatewayhoward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A PA who taught part of my paramedic class recommended the House of God for anyone going into medicine. Just curious to know what other people think about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate it. I think it's disgusting. And I'm mainly talking the orgy parts, not the fact that they care so little about their patients. (And really, I'm not a prude.)

People will say it's a great book, and that it's really very accurate, just wait until you get to that point. Well I think that's hogwash. For one thing it isn't a great book. For another thing, I know plenty of doctors who feel the same way as I do about it.

And no, I didn't finish it. I got about 1/2 - 3/4 through and turned it back in to the library.

I read the first few pages on Amazon but I got bored due to the lack of pictures.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm reading it for the second time, I guess I have a sick mind. It's a farce. You can't take it seriously.

Gatewayhoward said:
I'm reading it for the second time, I guess I have a sick mind. It's a farce. You can't take it seriously.

I just finished reading it the second time a couple weeks ago. I honestly thought it was an awesome book, absolutely loved it. But then again I pictured the Fat Man as being the Dr. version of Jack Black :laugh: If you havent finished it, i'd rec. reading it all. IMO it gets better and better with each chapter.

tigress said:
I hate it. I think it's disgusting. And I'm mainly talking the orgy parts, not the fact that they care so little about their patients.

I enjoyed the book ... especially the 'orgy parts.' :)

I thought it was a good book, it is obviously full of hyperbole for the sake of making a good story, but it has truth in it. It was recommended to me by a doc as well, and he said that it was accurate if you sort of dull everything down a little. He said that there is sex in the on-call, that people commit suicide, that patients are treated in similar ways, but that he still thinks that the doctors aren't really jaded, that they care a lot about what they do, but it is a somewhat necessary way of dealing with the situation in order to do this type of work everyday. it is worth reading to get a sense of things, and it is also out of date as todays medical concerns, like I think it quotes eye docs making 1mill+ and I don't think that is the case anymore.

Its just an escape. All the urban legends of med school/residency rolled into one book. I thought it was pretty funny. And some things are fairly accurate, especially the interns personality changes as he experiences the year. All in all it was a fun quick read.

tigress said:
I hate it. I think it's disgusting. And I'm mainly talking the orgy parts, not the fact that they care so little about their patients. (And really, I'm not a prude.)

People will say it's a great book, and that it's really very accurate, just wait until you get to that point. Well I think that's hogwash. For one thing it isn't a great book. For another thing, I know plenty of doctors who feel the same way as I do about it.

And no, I didn't finish it. I got about 1/2 - 3/4 through and turned it back in to the library.

For anyone who has read it --does tigress sound an awful lot like the character "Jo"???? LOL

And BTW I'm not ripping on you or your opinions at all tigress, just thought it was an interesting comparison.

It was a great book. I've read it 2 or 3 times now. But I also liked the sequel, Mount Misery.

I'm reading it right now and agree that it is pretty strange at times but great in other places. (I'm a little over halfway through.) I liked Atul Gawande's Complications much better. (I posted the direct Amazon link, but if you buy it please go through SDN's affiliate program.)

i had to read it for a class (sociological aspects of health and illness). the prof was actually the dean of the public health school at my university

regardless of whether or not the book is "accurate," i personally thought it was a good, easy read. interesting enough to make you want to keep reading and turning the pages....

UTpremed said:
It was a great book. I've read it 2 or 3 times now. But I also liked the sequel, Mount Misery.

I, too, have read House of God several times. It is satire.

I didn't like Mount Misery and I don't recall finishing it.

Gomers may go to ground but don't ever, ever call a patient a gomer, even behind her back.

Members don't see this ad :)
tigress said:

John Updike, one of our greatest authors, disagrees.

I've heard it's the "Catch-22" of medicine. I checked it out from the library, but have had a hard time getting into it.

I'm really more about books like "Complications" right now as well -- I'm too tired to read literature when I get home...I just want the straight up literal books...symbolism too hard.

I really liked that I read an MCAT passage in "Complications", too (or maybe it was from a Kaplan MCAT, but whatever).

Not only did I think its a great book, but I quoted it in my personal statement. But dont take it seriously. A lot has changed since Shem wrote the book. Enjoy!

LizzyM said:
Gomers may go to ground but don't ever, ever call a patient a gomer, even behind her back.

Yup, and you've gotta turf those gomers and hope that they don't bounce back.

The book wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't something I'd go back and read again. I think that depending upon the specialty one goes into, the attitude can be fairly accurate.

Gatewayhoward said:
A PA who taught part of my paramedic class recommended the House of God for anyone going into medicine. Just curious to know what other people think about it.
House of God is pretty cynical, I'm not sure it is the best book to start with when exploring medicine. I think there are a lot of other more interesting books about being a doctor:

"Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue"
"Blood of Strangers"
"Complications"
"Emergency Doctor"

to name a few

LizzyM said:
I read it at the urging of 2 interviewers at separate schools, and enjoyed it. You can't take it as a representation of medicine for the simple fact that it was written in the 70's and a lot has changed since then (that, and it's fiction). However, on more than one occasion, I have heard actual doctors call their patients gomers and talk about turfing.

Sure a lot of things have changed since the 70s but a lot of things haven't. Some programs are still more malignant than others and if you believe the rumors, some of the people who Shem based his characters on are still in practice at the BIDMC. Besides, even though I haven't had any of my professors and attendings pimp me on the rules yet, the book does come up on occasion. Besides, it's a satire - don't read too much into it. Oh, and as for Mount Misery, don't waste your time or money.

Hot Lights, Cold Steel by Dr. Michael Collins

I thought this was a good read about an orthopod during residency at Mayo. Some stretches, but most seemingly on the level.

LO281OK said:

I thought this was a good read about an orthopod during residency at Mayo. Some stretches, but most seemingly on the level.

I agree. And not just cuz he went to my school.

I cannot imagine how you can go through residency with that many babies!! Though it does sound like he sacrificed his family life a LOT. His wife must be amazing.

i just finished the book a month or so ago. the book is awesome. i was laughing the whole time and in the end it only confirmed my desire to do orthopedics. haven't read house of god yet, but right now i'm reading walk on water and i may get it after i finish. i've been wanting to read burn unit though.

House of God is a classic.

I realize it's a satire, and that people think it's a great book. I just really disagree. I read a lot, about 3 books a week in a good week, and I really honestly have to say that House of God is one of the few books I haven't even finished. It's not even the issue of reading too much into it; believe me, I work daily with doctors, and I know what medicine is like, both the positive and negative aspects (of course from an outside perspective looking in). I actually had a conversation with a doctor I know about this book a few weeks ago; interestingly, he said he hates it while his wife said she found it funny (and she's not in medicine at all). But he basically agreed with me that it's just mostly stupid.

I do have to admit there are some good one-liners and quotes in it. But that doesn't make a good book. So I'm just representing my opinion here. Yes, it's a satire. Yes, even famous authors say it's a good book. But I don't like it, I think it's not written well, and it's one of the few books I've ever put down without finishing.

(Hot Lights, Cold Steel is a pretty good book. Many of the other medical books mentioned in this thread are good. But they're so completely different from House of God, because they're non-fiction, either memoirs or commentary. So I don't really see where they come into comparison here.)

I loved The House of God.

I live in Sweden now, and I work with a lot of doctors here. Even they have read it. We quote it all the time.

I think House of God is an absolutely brilliant satire!! I higly recommend anyone to give it a shot, whether you think you'll like it or not. Of course there are some shock values here and there that might catch you off, but then you'll just realize it becomes seamless with the rest of the story.
Personally, I think the story is an over developed sense of what U.S medicine is in its rawest form w/o the glory, prestige, etc. all wrapped up in a satire.

Hmm....think I'm done here. Back to work.

Sadly, there was an article in Boston Magazine this month written by the House of God author, who says that medicine is no longer an on-call-room-orgy-fest. That is just too bad.

House of God is good, in that dark/off-color way but I'm not quite done so I can't give an overall opinion. I expected it to be spectacular but I haven't come to that conclusion yet, we'll see when I'm finished.

Anyone read First, Do No Harm, by Belkin? It's great read into ethics.

.ellie. said:
House of God is good, in that dark/off-color way but I'm not quite done so I can't give an overall opinion. I expected it to be spectacular but I haven't come to that conclusion yet, we'll see when I'm finished.

Anyone read First, Do No Harm, by Belkin? It's great read into ethics.

Belkin's book is really good. It really goes behind the scene at ethics committee meetings, the members, their decisions and their emotional investment.

LO281OK said:

Hot Lights, Cold Steel I love this book. What other books read like this? I am looking for the same type of personal stories and humor.

LizzyM said:
I, too, have read House of God several times. It is satire.

I didn't like Mount Misery and I don't recall finishing it.

The House of God is great, while Mount Misery leaves much to be desired---and is entirely too long. About the name calling: Dr. Cox on Scrubs has used the term "gomer" a few times. I suppose that some of the angry physicians will do that.

Bring on the orgies!

I've been thinking about it, and I've decided I don't like the book for reasons that are hard to explain. I didn't do a very good job earlier in the thread. Basically, it made me depressed and made me feel somehow dirty and tainted. If I'm going to end up feeling that way, which I really think I'm not, I'll leave it until then. And I guess I just didn't find it funny, aside from the occasional funny lines. I like a lot of books about medicine, and it's great when they're realistic. I just don't like feeling horrible while I'm reading a book.

sorry but this book is awesome.
-mota