Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

ever wish you were in med school?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Locaboca, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Locaboca

Locaboca New Member

Do any of you wish you went medical instead? Just curious.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    No, never.

4. datu

datu Founding Father
    5+ Year Member

No. The only thing I wish is that I had gotten my head out of my arse sooner and considered dentistry from the get-go, rather than wasting two good years trying to get into medical school.

Heck, I couldn't even come up with an honest reason why I wanted to be an MD in the first place.

But I admire the folks who truly want to become MDs. For the time you put in and the hassle you have to deal with, you absolutely must love that profession. The money you make certainly doesn't make up for it. Maybe 20 years ago it did, but not now.

5. DcS

DcS damn the red baron
    7+ Year Member

To be honest, I grew up imagining myself going to med school, until a dental experience in high school changed my career goals. I was just talking w/ my parents about how happy i am in dental school and how glad i am that im not in medicine.

6. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist

damn!

you always beat me to it Bill :laugh:

7. dr_benj

dr_benj Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

8. drPheta

drPheta Some random guy
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    NOPE! I dropped any med school thoughts like a rock my 1st year of undergrad, and I'm happy I did every day.

9. vietho26

vietho26 Member
    7+ Year Member

well I did try med school for four years. I loved it but the only thing I liked was surgery especially oral surgery and ob/gyn. My brother decided he liked surgery but settled with anesthesia after seeing how much time and effort it took to just make a modest 6 figure salary. As for me I couldn't justify doing anesthesia after suffering and crying my eyes out with all the long night studying and slaving away at 3am in morning to complete an LP and man the floor and check all orders are in. Med school is hell and will be more hell during residency. So why do that when I could just drill teeth and sleep when normal people sleep.

Dentists can make 6 figure salaries but can actually put in less work time to achieve all without managed care getting in their face about reimbursement for procedures.

10. datu

datu Founding Father
    5+ Year Member

Absolutely. For me, it was a quality-of-life issue. Far less stress, and all other things being equal, a higher income-to-work ratio. Gotta think of those things, especially if you want time to devote to other things in life (family, etc.).

But for others, medicine may very well be the way to go.

11. toysareus

toysareus Member
    5+ Year Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I love dental school and cannot imagine being in medical school.

12. Where2B

Where2B Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey VietHo,

You didn't graduate from UVA? Ever shared undergrad suites with five other fellas (two other pre-meds, one computer science major, one architecture major, one econ-major)? Sound familiar?

13. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

OMFS is fun and adding an MD to my DDS would be cool, but in the end I don't want to be in school/residency for another 6 years. :D

14. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Never have, never will.

15. DrRob

DrRob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, I did.

16. xc1999

xc1999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Heck no!!!

17. VM268

VM268 Junior Member

Not on a day like today... I passed the boards and finished my last exam today. It's so nice to know I don't have to go back to school anymore!

18. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hmm, apparently someone gave me bad karma for honestly answering the question that was posed. Thats kinda odd, isn' it?

19. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you sure it's *bad* karma? If the little box is gray it could be the person was trying to give you good karma but didn't have enough posts to do so (so their effort actually counts as *neutral* karma, with no effect on your score).

20. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Doh, now I feel like an idiot! I had no idea that neutral karma even existed. Now that I look closer it does appear to be a gray box. So does that mean that green is good, gray is neutral and there would be a black for bad karma?

21. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

I think bad karma shows up as a red box.

22. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Apparently if a person with less than 50 posts or less than 10 karma tries to give someone else karma (good *or* bad) his attempt will fail. Instead the recipient gets a gray boxed message but their karma score is not influenced.

I'm actually not sure what bad karma looks like when the sender has enough posts & karma to make it stick. A red box, maybe?

23. UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got hammered last week, bad karma= red box

24. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Dental Career all the way! :)

Most of my friends are MD's - they don't really have life. All they do is do their homework, clean their room, feed their dogs, go to college... and the cycle begins again after 48 hours (for residents). That's crazy!

Dentistry is equally tough, but only during dental school.

25. Luminous_1

Luminous_1 member
    7+ Year Member

It is funny how many dentists and dental students claim that MDs do not have life and that dentists have better life style.

26. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    The average dentist works about 36 hours a week, according to the ADA, and earns well in excess of $100,000 a year; that's a pretty comfortable living, and plenty of time away from work. Medicine has plenty of advantages, but lifestyle generally doesn't make the list. ;)

27. HuyetKiem

HuyetKiem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I just wondered the same thing.
    I can't afford medical school due to my international student status. 7 years are freaking long.

28. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    In my 6 years of undergrad, I'm not going to lie, I did thought about pre-med for about a split second then I went right back to pre-dental then I went right back to partying. :laugh:

It has always been dentistry for me, but going to med school have definitely came across my mind. Being in an Asian (Chinese) family, my parents are always pushing me to going into medicine instead of dentistry. Now that I'm in dentistry, they couldn't be happier!

Speaking of meds wanting to do dentistry and dents wanting to do med, I just found out a guy from our medical school here at Nova dropped out of the DO program after 1.5 years (3 semesters worth) and decided to come to our dental school's program starting out as a first-year again! His class ranking was #29 out of 185 in his med class, but he realize dentistry suits him better. A great guy and glad to see him happy in making a career move.

29. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

While I am still an undergrad, I have thought about applying to medical school. So far though, dentistry seems a better, and more likely, route. :luck:

30. oms fan

oms fan How I feel everyday...
    5+ Year Member

My whole life I wanted to be a physician. Most of my friends went that route and I saw what they were going through...decided not to apply and to check out other health care professions. Took a look and dentistry and fell in love with it. I wanted to work with my hands, have a broad patient base, not take a lot of call (wanted to have a family life), definitely didn't want the lifestyle of a surgeon. So I came to dental school. Strange thing is...now that I am here, I have realized I really want to be an OMS. Looks like I'm going to be getting the MD anyway and have a lot of call. Strange how stuff works out.

31. gmcsierra

gmcsierra Member
    7+ Year Member

I am in the same boat as busupshot83.

32. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

For some wierd reason, I enjoy going to a hospital. Something about the fast-paced atmosphere that I really like.

33. Where2B

Where2B Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I know so many of my undergrad pre-med friends who went dental after unsuccessfully gaining acceptance into medical school. However, I think this may have been one of the best choice they've made their in lives. I fought hard with the big man from up above and disobeyed his mighty will and destiny for me when I got rejected from medical schools and ended up years and years of struggles before I ended up in medical school. Maybe I should have believed more in fate and destiny since my dentist friends are now enjoying the fruits of their labor and living the good life. I am still amaze/shock to see the reimbursements a dentist can collect when compared to a physician these days. There are physicians out there seeing 30-40 patients a day at their offices just to make ends meet. It's a hectic working environment and that's the reality of things. You've got to enjoy what you do or else you'll be miserable. The lifestyle in dentistry is also one thing which I don't medicine can ever beat. I haven't seen many physician off on a Saturday. Even the laziest medical doctor has some rounds to make in the hosp on Sat./Sun or patients to see at their office on the weekends. I have seen more than enough dentists who are off both Saturdays and Sundays. The lifestyle is a definite plus in dentistry.

Being in the medical profession, I can tell the people in dental who "wish" that they "were" in medical school to stop wishing and go focus back on a their promising career. The medical-legal climate, managed care, mal-practice, reimbursement issues alone in the medical field today is real enough to drive current physicians insane to quit or leave the profession completely. You have to be able to be cool, work well under stress, and be used to being sleep deprived every day to make it in medicine. It is a perfect fit for any workaholics out there.

Anyways, we are all important healthcare providers, both dental or medical. If I were sick with a particular malady either mouth or any other part of my body, I would sure wish that I have the right professionals who know what to do and how to treat it. That's why there are dentists and there are medical docs. There's absolutely no reason for any immaturish fights between these two professions.

Having said all that I would also like to mention that I truly wouldnt mind some day of hooking up with a cute dental chick because she can take excellent care of my dental health while I can do the same for her general health..... ;)