Every premed should be outraged by this commercial. non physicians claiming independence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only thing outrageous here is your reaction to a commercial that says very little other than people saying they like their NP and choose them for primary care. Your assumption that they are claiming independence or that they are wholly separated from physicians is not mentioned at all. Nothing in the spot is factually incorrect.

Premeds should be fully aware and indeed assume that they will be on teams with MD, DO, PA, NPs and many other specialized nurses along with RT, PT, OT and host of many others providers at various stages of care

I’m with OP.. looks like propaganda. The slogan, “I choose an NP” is an obvious attempt to place the care of an NP on a level playing field with physicians. Very few people dispute the role of NPs, PAs, RNs, and Techs of all shapes and sizes. I love working as part of a team. But let’s call a spade a spade. Physicians can embrace the team sport that is medicine and still take issue with team members with less training and experience claiming equivalency.

Reactions: 11 users
When my kid has what seems to be an ear infection, I take him to whatever NP is on duty at the Walgreens clinic instead of waiting for hours at urgent care to see a MD/DO.

Does this make me a bad person? Can I still be in the doctor club someday or will they kick me out?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When my kid has what seems to be an ear infection, I take him to whatever NP is on duty at the Walgreens clinic instead of waiting for hours at urgent care to see a MD/DO.

Does this make me a bad person? Can I still be in the doctor club someday or will they kick me out?
My PCP is an NP. I've never seen a doctor since I was kid (aside from the ones I occasionally catch a glimpse of when I volunteer). NPs aren't that bad. Despite what some people think they're not gonna take our (future) jobs.

My PCP is an NP. I've never seen a doctor since I was kid (aside from the ones I occasionally catch a glimpse of when I volunteer). NPs aren't that bad. Despite what some people think they're not gonna take our (future) jobs.
This is partly true - Nps will not take jobs from physicians. However, in the PCP realm, the proportion of NPs as compared to doctors will grow higher. The rate of growth in need for primary care is growing at a faster rate than the number of medical school/residency seats. The doctors will still always find a job in that role as the absolute number of PCP MD/DO positions will still clime, but the total percentage of PCP positions filled by MD/DO will decrease.

In all fields of medicine, we work together with NP's, PA's, midwives, certified nurse anesthetists and other "Advanced Practice Providers" and the landscape is ever-changing. There are many fields where those with a different educational pathway will work closely with us to help care for the patients. There is still a dearth of primary care providers, as well as psychiatric care provers, in most parts of the country and we need to welcome qualified people to assist in the mission to help the US keep healthcare costs down, while expanding access to all who need care.

In addition, some of the people on this site may need to develop a parallel plan that includes considering APRN, PA, nurse-midwife, etc as a career. The training is quicker, cheaper, and adcoms are looking for different things than MD adcoms (but NOT necessarily less). And though I loved our very esteemed pediatrician, one of the APRN's just did a better job with 2 of my children and we sought her out whenever possible. Just want to make sure that MD's or pre-MD's don't get too high on their own horse and that we validate these other career choices.

Last edited:
In all fields of medicine, we work together with NP's, PA's, midwives, certified nurse anesthetists and other "Advanced Practice Providers" and the landscape is ever-changing. There are many fields where those with a different educational pathway will work closely with us to help care for the patients. There is still a dearth of primary care providers, as well as psychiatric care provers, in most parts of the country and we need to welcome qualified people to assist in the mission to help the US keep health care costs down, while expanding access to all who need care.

In addition, some of the people on this site may need to develop a parallel plan that includes considering APRN, PA, nurse-midwife, etc as a career. The training is quicker, cheaper, and adcoms are looking for different things than MD adcoms (but NOT necessarily less). And though I loved our very esteemed pediatrician, one of the APRN's just did a better job with 2 of my children and we sought her out whenever possible. Just want to make sure that MD's or pre-MD's don't get too high on their own horse and that we validate these other career choices.
Im sorry this is not written by a physician,,

Im sorry this is not written by a physician,,
Uhhh. I am an MD. I graduated MD in early to mid 1990's from private Top20 school, still paying my med school loans back and now work in academic medicine. Clinical work, advising premeds, and advising med students and serving on adcom of med school and residency program. I am salaried, so my income is not directly affected at this point, by whether other specialties poach.

I have seen through the years that there are many things that we never thought would happen, and many of these changes have actually been good for the field of medicine and for the patients. The use of ANY Advanced Practice Providers was unheard of 30 yrs ago on the floors, ICU, and in the OR's of our big flag ship hospital. And now, much of the hospitalist staff is APRN and PA, and this includes in the ICU and neonatal ICU and PICU and ED. The PA's and APRN in the big private local Cardiology group do hospital consults immediately and with great accuracy. Maybe they would not know too much about things out of their specialty (but neither do most of the old cardiologists either!). And like I said before, not everyone on this site is best suited to medical school and not everyone will be admitted to medical school and for some, these other career paths will allow them to do many of the things that they like about medicine - and maybe with fewer downsides. So I was just hoping to avoid a put-down of these other fields. Transitioning to a new dream or "parallel plan" is hard enough without SDN friends and family putting them down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users