1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Everyday, I am getting ridiculously more ANGRY & other things to went

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by newdude, Dec 21, 2005.

1. newdude

newdude Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

The worst part is the anger keeps adding on itself as oppose to replacing the previous one.

So some of you may know from my username that I’m a reapplicant. I’m getting more and more pi***d everyday about everything. I got a crappy job and when I say crappy I mean absolutely SHI**Y. It sucks and pisses me off more everyday. I am hoping for one acceptance ASAP so at least I can stop worrying about med school, which is always the first thing and last thing on my mind. Plus, an acceptance means I have the option of quitting and I can go on vacation.

So I posted on SDN before that a school which told me that they would get back to me after Christmas, I heard form them last week. Of course, it was not an acceptence. I got waitlisted and I called and they said that the movement will occur by May 15th, that’s pretty late, so it made me more angry.
    Another school, which during the interview day told us that they’ll get back to us before Christmas, and I called, and they said wait until January. Again, I’m more angry.

And maybe the worst slap in the face of all of this was my interview at a school last week, which is where I interviewed last year. I go there in the morning and I get the list of interviewers (two), both MD’s. This made me so happy (there’s a reason for it, I’ll get to it). Then thirty minutes before my second interview I understand that my interviewer can’t interview me because he’s busy with doctor stuff (totally understandable). So who’s my interviewer you may ask, well it’s no other then a 4th year med student. Now this may not sound like a big deal to any of you but let’s face reality, there’s a big difference in being interviewed by a student and by a doc (MD or PhD). So of course the interview with the student didn’t go as well. Now the reason why I’m mad is because LAST YEAR when I interviewed at this school I had a student interview and she was a B****. I had bad interview, she wrote bad stuff about me (I went back to the school and the dean read the comments out to me). Again, adding salt on a wound.

So the job of course makes me mad, I’m hoping and praying that by the end of January, I have an acceptance so I can chill.

Anyone wanna trade their luck with me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RachelD

RachelD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow, I'm sorry you are so frustrated. Just know that you are not the only one. We all know this is a difficult process. Try to look at the positives, I know it's hard. But, you have interviews and a waitlist is better than a rejection. Some of the people who read your post may not even have an interview yet.
    Next year you will probably be in Medical school somewhere and will look back and laugh at this experience.
    In the mean time you could go outside and scream at the top of your lungs or something. Always helps me :)

4. doctoresse

doctoresse Member
    5+ Year Member

I so feel the same, I just want to know where I'm gonna be this time next year. Knowing that I'll be a doctor will make everything else worth smiling. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll do fine :)

5. Paws

7+ Year Member

Dude, ever hear the phrase 'turn it over?' I mean, it is a dopey sort of saying but it saved my butt many, many times. I think each of us needs to find some source of strength when life stuff is completely overwhleming and freaking us out. I am not a reilgious person but I believe something else is making the sun come up every day. That I am not in charge of snow falling or a baby being born.

I say this because I would have lost my mind many times during my pre-med journey, but an older friend - like, 70 years old - kept saying to me: turn it over to God (she was catholic). I still get really angry at **** that happens, but now I am a second year student and so the sh&t is different. Still get angry and bent out of shape tho. But I try and do things like write my pissed off feelings on a piece of paper, and then put the paper in my God Box. It is really just the top shelf on my kitchen cupboard. That means, it is out of my hands. I have litereally 'turned it over.'

I only say it as it seems to work for me; you're welcome to take what you like and leave the rest.

6. nicholasblonde

nicholasblonde Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

The interview with the 4th year wasn't in Missouri, was it??? PM me if it was, I think I know what you're talking about.

7. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    newdude hows your mcat

8. BOBODR

BOBODR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

NewDude - think you are p*ssed off

Try going to your state school interview, waiting 2.5 hours for your interviewer (i dont mind I know doctors have stuff to do), she comes in asks three basic questions like what is your biggest weakness, asks if I have any question and the interview ends in 15 mins when it was supposed to be 45. NOT only was she my interviewer, she was my adcom representative. She just went through the motions, clearly didnt care to be there, and I wasnt the only who had this problem with her. Apparently I was lucky she showed up at all according to other applicants. Coincidence that the 5 people who had her last yr didnt get into the school.. I think not. Life is unfair. I guess the saying "life is 10 % of what happens to you, and 90% your attitude in dealing with it" may hold here.

9. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No matter who the interviewer is, you need to get along with them. You misunderstood the objective. The problem was yours.

Here's the really bad news: Based on your post, you would not like being a doctor. Do you really want to work with sick people? Patients are often crabby, unhappy, and even mad, and if you're helping them, they'll be mad at you. Then there are residents and attendings - they are notorious for being a$$holes (only a minority are like this, but they can ruin a person's day in 10 minutes). It's not the easiest or funnest profession - you have to like helping sick people.

10. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I haaaaate it when people say that. The guy is just upset and frustrated and unhappy. Have you ever been angry before? Well you wouldn't like being a doctor either, because sometimes patients make you angry. And based on the fact that you're on sdn, you would not like being a doctor because doctors are busy and don't have time to sit on stupid forums chatting away.

I'm sorry, that was just the most ridiculous use of logic ever.

11. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

No, this is the most ridiculous: I don't have AIDS. I eat bagels for breakfast. Bagels are my AIDS vaccine. I hope to get a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in support of my efforts.
    OP: man, I feel your pain, but hey, venting to strangers is what you came here for so let it out. You've still got a good chance. It sucks but that's the way it goes sometimes, right? Years from now you won't even remember how pissed you were during this application process because you'll be a resident who's tired as hell, running on low sleep for weeks on end, on call at 2 AM and with a bad hemorrhoid (whatever, it happens to everyone; giving them names always seems to numb the pain).

12. yellowpersuazio

yellowpersuazio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just chill out. You're a little too anal about things. They will eventually happen, or they won't, so just prepare yourself the best that you can. By the way, a thank you would have been nice for switching interview dates rather than frantic and redundant phone calls and voice messages.

13. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't you think doctors ever have bad days? Get a little mad? How do you know if he'll be a good doctor or not? SDN throws this around all the time.....

14. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

well we can offer some constructive advice if you post your stats, etc. we can help you were to go and what to do... im sure you've heard chill out or go find god 10 million times from your friends, parents, etc.

15. Minion677

Minion677 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

"serenity now" is the phrase i use..

16. Iluvmatt

Iluvmatt Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I understand. But sorry I can't offer any advice. I'm in the same boat--sorta. I'm angry too at the waiting process. Just tell me for goodness sake! Let me enjoy my holiday darnit!

17. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Exactly. There needs to be a new rule on SDN: Do Not Tell People What Type of a Doctor They're Going to Be and Don't Tell Them They're Not Fit for the Profession!

That's such a horrible thing to say and who can make such a judgement from a post on the internet?

OP- don't be dissuaded by these people.

18. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

There are plenty of things you cannot change. Learn to accept them. Otherwise, you are going to have stress-related morbidity.