EVERYONE MUST READ THIS, rejected people especially

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We had the admissions director to a Virginia Medical School come to our school yesterday to give a talk. He told us a HORRIBLE TRUE STORY from this year. I must pass it on.

He was going through applications and read one where the guy had over 30 on his MCAT, BUT his GPA was 2.3. He was going to reject him out right but he is a very wonderful person and deceided to flip through his application.

He went to the grade part and scanned the grades. There were NO C's on the entire record. This disturbed him cause AMCAS had sent the MCAT,GPA report and said he had a 2.3.

Being the great man that he is he called this guy and he asked him if he has received alot of rejections. The guy timidly said yes. He then told this horrified applicant about his GPA. In fact the guys GPA is really 3.6. He suggestioned writing to his top choice schoools and explaining to them what horrible thing AMCAS had done to him.

Some of the schools said, too bad they couldn't reopen his file.

To all who have been rejected, CHECK YOUR GPA WITH THOSE SCHOOLS. If this admissions director wasn't such a wonderful person, this guy would be sitting there with piles of rejections and never know why. He has grounds for a huge lawsuit due to their mistake cost him his medical school eduacation at those schools.

Beware my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for sharing it with us Amy.. That admissions director was a COOL admissions director......

I sympathize with your friend Amy beth...

First AMCAS can't get our applications verified in a timely manner...now they are transmitting incorrect info!

AMCAS messed up my application too. The UPenn status check shows that I'm ineligible to apply because I wasn't going to graduate by August 2002 (I just graduated in June). I called UPenn the next day and asked about my file. She told me that the electronically transmitted verified AMCAS showed no degree information for me. She couldn't change it in the computer b/c the information was verified so she suggested I talk to AMCAS.

I called AMCAS. According to the database at AMCAS, the information was correct. I told her about my situation and she didn't know what to do. She said she would ask a tech to have them look at the problem, since it sounded like there was a problem during transmission.

I called UPenn again and told her the information was correct in AMCAS' database. She was going to have an info tech look at it and contact me about it. I haven't heard from anyone since.

I called AMCAS again a few days later and of course nothing had been done about it. The guy I talked to this time told me to FAX a letter to AMCAS stating the problem.

I don't know how many schools think I'm ineligible to apply b/c of this AMCAS screw up.

Should I call all the schools? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that my sentiment offers no solution, but I am deeply disturbed and upset at both situations. Please hang in there and don't give up!!! Medicine is at a precarious point anyway, and to lose current and future dedicated, passionate physicians because of administrative incompetence. Those stories are truly frightnening.

I'm very such against the whole sue-happy culture... but I think this is one time when a law suit is in order. I hope that poor student sues the mother out of AMCAS.

It's pretty sad that the system that we rely on to get our info to med schools is apparently run by people who "rode the short bus" to school.