everyone PLEASE read this -- need your advice --

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
here is my situation, i am a 1st year student at NYCOM and well im just a bit worried. Our last class did poorly on the boards and a few of teh 3rd years were saying that there is a bit of bias toward DOs and even NYCOM a bit cause of our large class (meaning low standards). I am just having a hard time dealing with this a bit -- im spending all this time and money just to do ****ty and be forced to choose a practice of medicine im not crazy about???

im just having a difficult time now focusing and motivating myself. I graduated with a 3.9 and got in here with a 25 -- but i retook the mcats in April (was accept in march) and got a 27. Now, im not going to lie but im regretting not giving up my spot and just applying MD -- BUT I HATE THIS FEELING OF REGRET. I don't know, what should I do. I just wanted to study and become a good doc -- not worry -- oh crap will i pass the boards.

Im interested in cardiology -- nothing super super competitive. Any pep talks or good stories -- SOMETHING -- im really depressed about this. I feel like i worked my ass off in undergrad and now what -- im gonna be a failure? help -- anything

Members don't see this ad.

theDr. said:
here is my situation, i am a 1st year student at NYCOM and well im just a bit worried. Our last class did poorly on the boards and a few of teh 3rd years were saying that there is a bit of bias toward DOs and even NYCOM a bit cause of our large class (meaning low standards). I am just having a hard time dealing with this a bit -- im spending all this time and money just to do ****ty and be forced to choose a practice of medicine im not crazy about???

im just having a difficult time now focusing and motivating myself. I graduated with a 3.9 and got in here with a 25 -- but i retook the mcats in April (was accept in march) and got a 27. Now, im not going to lie but im regretting not giving up my spot and just applying MD -- BUT I HATE THIS FEELING OF REGRET. I don't know, what should I do. I just wanted to study and become a good doc -- not worry -- oh crap will i pass the boards.

Im interested in cardiology -- nothing super super competitive. Any pep talks or good stories -- SOMETHING -- im really depressed about this. I feel like i worked my ass off in undergrad and now what -- im gonna be a failure? help -- anything
So because a few people in the classes ahead of you did poorly that means that you will too? Take some responsibility for yourself. If you don't think you are getting a quality education at NYCOM (which btw I'm sure it is more than adequete) do some more work on your own. You will just have to work harder when it comes to board studying. Regardless of what you think it is not the schools job to prepare you for the COMLEX anymore than it was your undergrad's responsibility to prepare you for the MCAT.

The majority of people posting here are going to disagree with me, but if it really bothers you that much, apply to M.D schools, and if you end up getting accepted, drop out, you’ll lose a year and some money, but that’s a small price to pay to be happy with your career. On the other hand if you’re dedicated and motivated, I believe you can do just fine on the boards and get into the residency of your choice regardless of what D.O school you attend. Either way, you’re already in medical school and you’ll be fine as long as you do your best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the biggest determination of how you'll do on the boards will be your efforts. Look at the USMLE/COMLEX forum. There are some really good preparation suggestions there. Prepare your rear end off and you'll do well, I'd bet. It's all about preparation (what's not about natural talent and you can't change that).

theDr. said:

I agree with the previous posts. Good point--how you do on the boards is up to you, to some extent. Another alternative, if it bothers you enough, is to do well and then transfer to another DO school, which does not have the issues you talk of. I know the schools that allow transfers are limited, but you can try.

I really dont have any options it seems. If i transfer, i still have a weak foundation upon which to take the boards. if i reapply to MD, it will take two years before i start up again. no idea how to deal with this.

theDr. said:

Why don't you just study for your boards instead of giving up and getting out of med school a year later.

theDr. said:
I really dont have any options it seems.
Sure you do. The Moose and others above have spelled out what you need to do. Get on it like the rest of us 2007ers and smack those boards. The Comlex/USMLE forum is full of advice, but to lend some more here...Take a real practice test and find your weaknessses. Right now it's all speculation. Block out your time and hit some of your soft spots nightly between now and June. Start heavy-hitting in May.

Oh...If your worried about competing w/ our LCME brethren then register for the USMLE RIGHT NOW!

Now get off SDN and start scheduling. :D

theDr. said:

Cardiology is super super competitive.

If you are gonna flip out about it then you should reapply to MD schools. On the other hand you could just take a deep breath, be excited that you are going to be a dedicated student, and kick butt no matter what medical school you attend. You have a long road and tons of responsibility ahead of you no matter how you look at it. Enjoy!

You have to calm down. You have to be happy with the opportunities given to you in life and make the best of them. I am sure that your education at NYCOM is capable of preparing you for anything. If you don't do well it is only your fault. You can take the attitude that you are hopeless, but that won't get you anywhere. I want to do cardiology myself. Will it be more difficult...yes. Will you have to work harder...yes. But if you give up at this early stage then you are just making excuses and would not have made it even if you came from Harvard. I worked hard and scored better on my USMLE than most students from these ivy league schools and got interviews at some of the top MD institutions in the country. Be proud to be a PHYSICIAN and to help people. Concentrate on being the best, no matter your initials. Any physician's, MD or DO, path is full of adversity but it is your duty to rise to the occasion and overcome. No pity here.

You will not likely be looked on favorably by MD schools. It will appear that your interest is more in being an MD than being a physician. You will look like someone who has poor committment and if I was on the admissions committee, I would take that as a strong point against you. You have to tell them if you have ever been accepted or attended medical school on your application. You will have a lot of explaining to do, and likely won't be accepted. IF you had a 40 and a 3.9, that might be different, but you have an average MCAT and if you add to that a waffling personality, no adcom will give you a second look.

Take a deep breath and buckle down and study.

Best of luck to you

sophiejane said:
You will not likely be looked on favorably by MD schools. It will appear that your interest is more in being an MD than being a physician. You will look like someone who has poor committment and if I was on the admissions committee, I would take that as a strong point against you. You have to tell them if you have ever been accepted or attended medical school on your application. You will have a lot of explaining to do, and likely won't be accepted. IF you had a 40 and a 3.9, that might be different, but you have an average MCAT and if you add to that a waffling personality, no adcom will give you a second look.

Take a deep breath and buckle down and study.

Best of luck to you
I agree with sophiejane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct if I’m wrong, but everyone here speaks as if a D.O wanting to go into a specialty will need to work much harder than his/her M.D counter part, while some schools are biased against D.Os, most are not, and as long as the applicant has competitive number he/she has a good chance of getting accepted somewhere, regardless of being a D.O.

frank...i think they are saying work hard due to the OP's concern of not performing well on the boards from experience he/she has seen from previous NYCOM classes. I don't think this has anything to do the the ol MD/DO debate :)gasp::))

theDr. said:
I really dont have any options it seems. If i transfer, i still have a weak foundation upon which to take the boards. if i reapply to MD, it will take two years before i start up again. no idea how to deal with this.
i think you should stop being a wuss and deal with what's given to you..........

I made a huge mistake going DO...end of story -- i should have reapplied instead of being impatient and wanting to begin asap.

Putting in an application at an allopathic school is not the end of the world, and is definitely not a committment to drop out of NYCOM.

Applying elsewhere is a good way of giving yourself more options, rather than less. It may even clear your mind and make you less apprehensive about your current situation, which could only increase your academic performance and resulting board scores.

That said, don't spend a lot of time dwelling on worst case scenarios. If you're not failing (m)any classes, get it together and kick arse.

No need to jump ship because it may sink. :cool:

NS

To sum it up: It's all about you.

What the he11, I'm feeling like a d1ck.

Pre-meds, this is a MEDICAL STUDENT thread. Your opinion is cute, but you have no fu(king clue what awaits you on the other side.

NS

Do you want to argue the point I just made?

thedr.,
What is it with you and the constant complaints? I guess I should expect it coming from you since i know who you are now. Dude you need to relax and stop blaming nycom for your "troubles", every one else is doing just fine(board scores included). It makes you and nycom look bad. Which pisses me off and boggles my mind since its the school YOU will be getting YOUR degree from. Unless it is of course you drop out and apply MD, which brings up another point why not another DO school, if its nycom thats soo bad?

Either way dude, ive never actually met you and i dont mean to be too harsh on you, you seem like a good kid just a little high strung and i hope the best for you in whatever you decide to do. I just wish that you could see you already have it, as lame as that sounds its true. You're going to be a doctor, youre going to make a lot of money, and it will be fun as hell if you just let it be. Just make it through your first 2 years in one piece. You know how many cardiologists came out of nycom? umm, a lot. Take a look at our past match lists, people match IM all the time at really awesome places. Moral of the story, dont worry so much and take a deep breath and just focus on getting through. Also it wouldnt hurt if you stop getting all your advice about nycom from a certain 2nd year girl.

NotShorty said:
What the he11, I'm feeling like a d1ck.

Pre-meds, this is a MEDICAL STUDENT thread. Your opinion is cute, but you have no fu(king clue what awaits you on the other side.

NS

Wocka wocka wocka...

Yeah, it's so darn mysterious, I don't think I can fathom it... That's why the OP is so incredibly more astute about how to succeed than a mere "pre-med". Get your head out of your butt, dude. It's not hard to figure out how to succeed. Hard work, talent, and unfortunately butt kissing, I'd imagine, just like everywhere else in life. What? You thought medicine was unique?

I know it's easier said than done, but remember that the institution in which you attend is NOT soley responsible for the quality of your education. You have a major role in that. To help you with this issue, remember that education, like all things in life, are what YOU decide to make of it. No matter where you would have attended, you'd have good and bad professors, or whatever.

Also, don't worry too much about statistics. You have control over how YOU do on the boards.

Being a doctor will require you to always stay abreast of the latest in medical technology and research. This is totally up to you, when you're in practice and on your own. So, it will help you if you can learn to be proactive in your learning. So, if you have a bad prof, just lean on the text a bit more. If you're class size is a bit large, make time to see the prof during his/her office hours.

Good luck.

JohnDO said:
Do you want to argue the point I just made?

Nope, I'll support it.

It's all about the OP. If he or she has determined that there is reasonable doubt as to whether they have the ability to reach their professional goals in their current school, they should gather more information to conclude whether that hypothesis is true or not.

"Suck it up" and "work harder" are much easier said than done. Med school tests your conviction to study medicine, and if you can't get past this psychological barrier, you won't make it!

If you're willing to pay an institution an ungodly amount of money for your education, you'd better be happy with that education. Otherwise, don't be afraid to take your business elsewhere. Just make sure to make that decision carefully, as you are likely to encounter many of the same problems no matter where you go.

OK?

NS

MoosePilot said:
Yeah, it's so darn mysterious, I don't think I can fathom it...

Good luck on your MCAT. Email this post to yourself and read it a year from now to see how much you've changed.

NS

NotShorty said:
Good luck on your MCAT. Email this post to yourself a year from now and see how much you've changed.

NS

I don't think I'll take it again, given my score.

If I change enough in a year to not think your post was crap, I'd be surprised. At 30, I don't really change that much in a single year anymore.

MoosePilot said:
At 30, I don't really change that much in a single year anymore.

Surprise! If a single year includes some med school, get ready for change.

NS

NotShorty said:
Nope, I'll support it.

It's all about the OP. If he or she has determined that there is reasonable doubt as to whether they have the ability to reach their professional goals in their current school, they should gather more information to conclude whether that hypothesis is true or not.

"Suck it up" and "work harder" are much easier said than done. Med school tests your conviction to study medicine, and if you can't get past this psychological barrier, you won't make it!

If you're willing to pay an institution an ungodly amount of money for your education, you'd better be happy with that education. Otherwise, don't be afraid to take your business elsewhere. Just make sure to make that decision carefully, as you are likely to encounter many of the same problems no matter where you go.

OK?

NS
Agreed.

NotShorty said:

NS

I'm sure I'll be completely different by then.

So just to get this straight, since this med school thing completely changes you, you'd disagree with the advice I gave?

I think your nose belongs back in a biochem book. Return it there soonest.

theDr. and amoxicillin are going to have a long life of misery and regret if they don't start taking responsibility for themselves and their choices in life. If you are not happy with the decisions YOU are making in YOUR life, change them. It's not easy and it may cost you time and money to do so, but its better than being miserable. In other words...quit your bitching.

no school can make you an excellent physician--only you can. if you feel like NYCOM cannot give you the framework you need to be successful, then seek the resources that you need or transfer. its a shame that some students ahead of you bombed the boards, but that does not reflect on you at all. if you do not take responsibility for yourself or if you act helpless--well, that WOULD reflect on your character. good luck.

MoosePilot said:
I think the biggest determination of how you'll do on the boards will be your efforts...

I agree whole-heartedly. And part of those efforts should be to pacify this doubt in his mind by figuring out what works best for him.

If it means he should shut up and get working, that's just fine...but if that's not working, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't consider starting fresh elsewhere.

To promote this "where you go to school doesn't matter" attitude is incorrect and not helpful. Everyone has a dream school, based largely on the fact that they have no idea what that school's really like. It seems that he later found out that maybe the school isn't quite as good for him as he initially thought.

NS

Pre-meds: really...try lecturing about WWII to my grandpa. I think he'd love to hear what it was like from someone who Aced history as an undergrad.

While you're at it, tell me more about life as a med student.

NS

NotShorty said:
Pre-meds: really...try lecturing about WWII to my grandpa. I think he'd love to hear what it was like from someone who Aced history as an undergrad.

NS

Have I tried to tell you what life is like as a medical student or did I pass on advice that I've already picked up in preparation for my trip through? Not my fault he didn't scroll down to see the USMLE section.

I'll tell you something I've learned, a difficult course is a difficult course. Pilot training isn't med school, but med school doesn't have a 20%+ failure rate, either.

NotShorty said:

NS

Are you comparing WWII to medical school? You gotta be f%$#ing kidding me. I see what your getting at but lets be serious, medical schools tough but its really not somehitng others couldnt possibly fathom.

Cowboy DO said:
Are you comparing WWII to medical school? You gotta be f%$#ing kidding me. I see what your getting at but lets be serious, medical schools tough but its really not somehitng others couldnt possibly fathom.

Aww, heck.

If med school = hell
and war = hell,
then war = med school and I'm already three years into it :laugh:

Somehow I don't think that'll fly, huh? :laugh:

how do you people pass the verbal on the mcat???:)
cowboy, what i think notshorty was trying to say is that a pre-med teaching a med student what medical school will be like is akin to someone who aced history trying to teach a WWII veteran what the war was like...this was not meant to be a direct comparison of the two seperate events...

jhug said:
how do you people pass the verbal on the mcat???:)

Am I allowed to field this one? It's about the MCAT... :laugh:

Um... because there's not a passing score on the verbal? Yeah, that's a good answer! I rock!

ok, i'll try one more time....(this time i'll go slower:))
How do you get a score on the verbal REASONING portion of the MCAT that is anywhere remotely helpful to your entering medical school when you aren't able to read (and reason out) a simple post mocking your desperate attempt at educating someone regarding a topic of which you know practically nothing about??? (ie: much like an undergrad student, we'll say who is +/-30, who aced history trying to educate a WWII vet about the war)

NotShorty said:

NS

You are totally going to be the kind of resident who thinks med students are worthless. And the kind of fellow who steals all the good cases from the residents cause you're "smarter." And the attending from hell. Have a great career!

Edit: sorry, just saw DrMom's post now.

To the OP: there are some allopathic schools that take transfers from DO. Maybe even for second year, and def for third. Look into it.

jhug said:
cowboy, what i think notshorty was trying to say is that a pre-med teaching a med student what medical school...

Thanks. I didn't think this was too difficult to understand either. :rolleyes:

OP: How many of your classmates feel the same, and what are they doing to cope? If your circle of study buddies has as dismal a view of your school, it's time to get new study buddies.

Start taking drastic measures, and you won't be a victim of your own inaction.

NS

NotShorty said:

NS

it doesn't take someone in medical school to tell a person to suck it up. anyone can do that.

NotShorty said:
Thanks. I didn't think this was too difficult to understand either. :rolleyes:

NS

I understood what you meant, maybe i should clarify. I know your not comparing WW2 to med school directly, but even to compare the difference between someone who took a college course in a WW2 and someone who participated in that war to the difference between pre-med and med school is in my opinion still an insult to your grandfather. But that’s just my opinion i thought it was a bad analogy, i didn’t mean to get into a debate about it.

I really don’t understand why a pre-meds opinion would be invalid here? We aren’t talking about the management of a pt with waterhouse-friderichsen syndrome. We are talking about what the OP views on his school (right or wrong) and what he should do about it. I think anyone who is in/has been in any kind of school setting beyond high school should be able to throw some ideas out on the table.

jhug said:
ok, i'll try one more time....(this time i'll go slower:))
How do you get a score on the verbal REASONING portion of the MCAT that is anywhere remotely helpful to your entering medical school when you aren't able to read (and reason out) a simple post mocking your desperate attempt at educating someone regarding a topic of which you know practically nothing about??? (ie: much like an undergrad student, we'll say who is +/-30, who aced history trying to educate a WWII vet about the war)

1. I just filled in as many right bubbles as I could. Seems to be the trick.
2. Desperate attempt to help? No, that would be buying him a med school education. This is just a quick attempt.
3. I don't know of any undergrad that stupid.

NS....
what year in med school are you? Have you taken the boards? If you havent....then dont EVER lecture someone on how to study for it. Never mention it, never bring it up. It doesnt concern you. Have you started your clinicals? If you havent, then NEVER talk about it, never give someone advice.....its not warranted. Have you matched? If you havent, then never talk about it, dont ever give someone advice.
Please, I have much more respect for an individual like MP who hasnt yet lived a day of med school but has done much more than any of us who HAS. The whining voices of babies like the OP and amoxil about how crappy NYCOM is a constant on this board, and MP is offering good advice.
stomper

I hear what you guys are saying, but I honestly can't imagine throwing out my opinion on how med school is when I was a pre-med last year. I just have too much humility to claim to have any inisight into an endeavour I have not yet experienced. First year is a lot different than I imagined it would be. A lot more difficult, a lot more boring, a lot more life changing (and I'm 31...) than I thought it would be. My dad's a doc, my SO is a third year, I have good friends who have just finished med school, yet it's still different that I imagined it would be. How annoyed would you be, MP, if I told you about how the military is? Or if I told Panda Bear or sacrament how being an engineer is? I have no direct knowledge of those fields, so I would look like a pretentious asshat to spout off a bunch of opinions. See?

Elysium said:
I hear what you guys are saying, but I honestly can't imagine throwing out my opinion on how med school is when I was a pre-med last year. I just have too much humility to claim to have any inisight into an endeavour I have not yet experienced. First year is a lot different than I imagined it would be. A lot more difficult, a lot more boring, a lot more life changing (and I'm 31...) than I thought it would be. My dad's a doc, my SO is a third year, I have good friends who have just finished med school, yet it's still different that I imagined it would be. How annoyed would you be, MP, if I told you about how the military is? Or if I told Panda Bear or sacrament how being an engineer is? I have no direct knowledge of those fields, so I would look like a pretentious asshat to spout off a bunch of opinions. See?

Please...reread MP original post....all he said was "study for the boards....".. Hmmm....sounds like solid advice to me...especially since all schools pretty much use the same books, and students all use the similar board reviews....
Can someone tell me why MSIs are so annoying? Oh....life changes....ooooooh. BS.

This whole dumb debate reminds me of how my older brother, who was just one grade above me, always talked to me about being older. When I was in 8th grade, it was, "Middle schoolers suck, I'm in high school and I'm the sh-t!" When I would ask him what made high school better and what made him cooler for simply being a year ahead of me, he couldn't really answer. So when I got to freshman year, he told me that freshmen were whiny *******, and being an "upperclassman" was where it was at. Again, I couldn't see much of a difference, but he sure could :laugh: When I was a sophomore, I didn't understand how stressful junior year was with the SAT. When I was a junior, I didn't understand how stressful it was to apply to colleg. And of course, when I was a senior, I was sooooo unaware of what his life was like in college.

He is no longer an arrogant f-cktard, which I appreciate :laugh: He grew out of it. But it seems like some people here haven't!

Status
Not open for further replies.