everyone PLEASE read this -- need your advice --

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elysium said:
I hear what you guys are saying, but I honestly can't imagine throwing out my opinion on how med school is when I was a pre-med last year. I just have too much humility to claim to have any inisight into an endeavour I have not yet experienced. First year is a lot different than I imagined it would be. A lot more difficult, a lot more boring, a lot more life changing (and I'm 31...) than I thought it would be. My dad's a doc, my SO is a third year, I have good friends who have just finished med school, yet it's still different that I imagined it would be. How annoyed would you be, MP, if I told you about how the military is? Or if I told Panda Bear or sacrament how being an engineer is? I have no direct knowledge of those fields, so I would look like a pretentious asshat to spout off a bunch of opinions. See?

I understand where you're coming from. I have no personal experience of the boards. I don't have personal experience of the stress of med school. I've read about both and being non-trad I know about preparing for difficult trials and stressful situations. It's cool, I didn't mean to stick my nose where it's unwanted, but I agree with Stinky on this one.

Members don't see this ad.

2nd year girl? what are you talking about?

I'm not trying to come off as a f-cktard or anything, just that I can't imagine speaking to an experience you haven't had yet. I'm not going to talk about board prep (except to make the genius observation that studying=good) or rotations or residency or any other experience I haven't had. I don't get why that fact is so goddamned controversial.

Members don't see this ad :)
Elysium said:
I'm not trying to come off as a f-cktard or anything, just that I can't imagine speaking to an experience you haven't had yet. I'm not going to talk about board prep (except to make the genius observation that studying=good) or rotations or residency or any other experience I haven't had. I don't get why that fact is so goddamned controversial.

Boy.....well I guess all those male OB/GYNs should be out of business....and actually had no business going into the specialty. I mean really....a man be a gynecologist? Who ever heard of such crazy ideas....
You really are about as mature as that green banana i got sitting on my counter.

NotShorty said:
What the he11, I'm feeling like a d1ck.

Pre-meds, this is a MEDICAL STUDENT thread. Your opinion is cute, but you have no fu(king clue what awaits you on the other side.

NS

I love it.

stomper627 said:
Have you taken the boards? If you havent....then dont EVER lecture someone on how to study for it.
[shakin' in my boots] :scared:

Go back and read the OP's question. He says nothing about how to study for the boards. Period. He is stressing out because of the fact that his school (as YOU pointed out) has a bad reputation on SDN, and he is perhaps seeing that there is truth to the rumors now that he is actually a NY-COM student.

I am more than qualified to help him in this situation, as it is my own. :cool:

Jeez. I didn't mean to cause such ruckus...really! :) Pre-meds and soon to be's, apologies if I insulted you with my metaphor. :oops: I should have said something like how it would be naive for me to lecture my dad on what life is like for a father simply because I am the oldest of 4 children (I have no kids of my own). This is a much more accurate metaphor, and (I think) it won't offend anyone either.

OP!!! Have you dropped out yet? What's the deal, dude? :confused:

NotShorty said:
[shakin' in my boots] :scared:

Go back and read the OP's question. He says nothing about how to study for the boards. Period. He is stressing out because of the fact that his school (as YOU pointed out) has a bad reputation on SDN, and he is perhaps seeing that there is truth to the rumors now that he is actually a NY-COM student.
Interesting considering the bad press all stems from the same few students here.....on an anonymous board nonetheless....could it all be the same??? Me, I dont know....but I do know quite a few NYCOMers who are MSIII and MSIV....and many have the same gripes as other students from my school and others....(PSU, PCOM, Drexel, etc....to name a few).
NotShorty said:
I am more than qualified to help him in this situation, as it is my own. :cool:
what....you trying to quit NYCOM too? Never realized that....interesting insite, though
NotShorty said:
Jeez. I didn't mean to cause such ruckus...really! :) Pre-meds and soon to be's, apologies if I insulted you with my metaphor. :oops: I should have said something like how it would be naive for me to lecture my dad on what it's like for me to be a father simply because I am the oldest of 4 children (I have no kids of my own). This is a much more accurate metaphor, and (I think) it won't offend anyone either.
Seriously....this is the dumbest arguement I have ever heard. and a horrible metaphor. So, I guess I have NO BUSINESS discussing child rearing to new parents on their 1 week neonatal visit. Boy, why couldnt I have skipped Peds as a rotations....IM NOT A PARENT. Why did I have to do a rotation is OB/GYN? I dont have a vagina or a uterus....what business do I have discussing pap smears with a patient?
He!!, Im not a smoker....never have, never will, but under your metaphor, I shouldnt lecture someone on the fact that they shouldnt do it.
Seriously though....I must admit....you are really cool, cuz you are an MSI, and you know all. Only the cool kids are in med school.
Oh, but then when your a resident....."man, you med students are so stupid....dont ever contribute to a discussion on a patients care, your not a doctor....you dont know."
you need to stop now....cause you are seriously showing how stupid you are.

stomper627 said:
...what business do I have discussing pap smears with a patient?

Well, let's see...you've probably studied what pap smears are, what they mean, how to perform and analyze them, etc. unlike a vast majority of women. However, you'd probably get a strange look if a mother was complaining about morning sickness and you said "yeah, I know exactly how you feel."

That's it. I refuse to continue this battle of wits with someone as unarmed as you. :thumbdown: :mad:

NS

stomper627 said:
Seriously....this is the dumbest arguement I have ever heard. and a horrible metaphor. So, I guess I have NO BUSINESS discussing child rearing to new parents on their 1 week neonatal visit. Boy, why couldnt I have skipped Peds as a rotations....IM NOT A PARENT. Why did I have to do a rotation is OB/GYN? I dont have a vagina or a uterus....what business do I have discussing pap smears with a patient?
He!!, Im not a smoker....never have, never will, but under your metaphor, I shouldnt lecture someone on the fact that they shouldnt do it.

You had training or experiences in OB/GYN and in the other topics you spoke of. A person who hasn't sat in on one medical school lecture yet shouldn't be giving advice to somebody who is unhappy in medical school because all the premed student knows is based on hearsay, unless he completed 4 years of training that will teach him what it's like to be a medical student. I'm not bashing moosepilot in the least for having an opinion - everyone has one including me. But it's a lot different to speak about something you truly know about than something you think you know about. Stop acting like a d!ck.

Stomper, what in the hell died in your ass, man? Why are you so pissed off? And why do you care so much what someone says about NYCOM? You don't even go there! I don't know it all, or much of anything at all. My point was that I didn't want to make a bunch of sweeping comments about internship and residency and god knows what else. And, hell yeah, I think it would be ridiculous if you tried to tell me what it was like to have menstrual cramps or tell me what labor felt like. That's absurd. I wouldn't ever try to tell you what it felt like to have prostatitis, though I could empathize with your pain and intellectually understand the process. There is a difference, which clearly seems to escape you. Ironic, given your advanced level of maturity...

Im sorry, but im going to have to agree w/ stomper on this one. This is an interesting discussion though if we can keep it civil, maybe it would be more appropriate in a new thread.

NotShorty said:
That's it. I refuse to continue this battle of wits with someone as unarmed as you. :thumbdown: :mad:

NS

Unarmed? Try again....
Let me come down to your level. You really dont know what med school is really like cause youve only taken a little over a semester. The OP was curious regarding the "low board scores" of NYCOM. Well, what qualifications do you have in response to this? You havent taken the boards yet. You are unqualified to give a response.
Hmm....well let me tell you about the experience at LECOM.....my class. We had an 86% pass rate on comlex I. A little lower than the national avg. One might think this is a bad thing....not necessarily....as LECOM also produced the 3rd highest score in the nation, and 3 more in the top 20....and 2 I know of who scored in the 99% on the USMLE. So, if one just looks at the 86% pass rate, youd think...LECOM sucks....but really does it?
Look, students use the same books where ever you go to school....study from the same review books...its up to an individual...NOT THE SCHOOL. The constant complaining from the OP, medstudent, and amoxil, are getting old on this board....

Let me guess....youre also one of those students who studies at coffee houses, and talks loud enough with classmates to let EVERYONE know that you are in med school? Yes, I know *****s like you...."Im cool....cause im in med school....."
give it up....

(first disclaimer: this is to attempt to prove a point that probably won't be understood by some on this thread....ie: stomper)

St. Barnabas (Bronx) EM is really isn't a great residency becuase i heard a friend once say he knew someone who might have rotated there and said that it was really easy and that they never saw patients or any pathology at all...and EM for that matter is really easy because i've seen all these tv shows like ER and critical hour and they all have time to be on tv so it must be super easy...it's almost like, if you can't do anything else, just go into EM...

(rest of disclaimer: this is of course NOT true, stomper has matched into a very, very good EM residency, but seeing how i have really no idea except for the fact that i've heard of st. barnies and actually do like watching shows like critical hour and residents, i felt inclined to give advice....unless it is the generic, just work hard and you'll do it kind of advice)

Look....since many of you like to use the "you dont know....your not in med school" analogy....let me do this.
OP....scared about low nycom scores...should I drop out or stick it out, etc.?
MP (a premed)....study hard, do well on the boards, and youll do fine.
NS....get out, your not an MSI, your opinion doesnt count.
subsequent argument.

So, since were playing the "Im ahead of you" game. NS trumped MP, I now trump everyone who is MSI, MSII, and MSIII. Until an MSIV, an intern, a resident, or an attending gets in here and starts discussing...I am the king in here.

Well, thats not true. Why? Cause others have opinions and advice. And for the record....Med school IS NOT the toughest thing out there like so many of you are advocating. I would bet that any combat pilot, or infantry knows a bit more about "stress" or about how hard life is, etc. than the rest of us.

Elysium....nothing died....I hate whiners....and the OP, amoxil, medstudent, have been bashing and whining about nycom for a month now. It is getting old. This accomplishes nothing. Read some of the other posts that they have....its rather interesting....makes you wonder what type of students they are......
stomper

Status
Not open for further replies.