Everyone related to/friends of

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyCarIsDirty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
pre-meds always seems very optimistic and assumes that you are going to become a doctor because you "work hard and are very intelligent" or something like that. You hear it from friends, friends of friends, friends of parents, girlfriends parents, boyfriends parents...

Is it not the least bit unsettling knowing full well that nothing is guaranteed and that all of these people around you that want you to succeed and assume it's going to happen might possibly see you fail? I personally don't feel weak in any areas, but just the very thought of all of those people that I've ever met that know me watching me not achieve something as big as this is daunting.

Realistically, not everyone makes it to do what they want to do, and it just so happens that that is very true of becoming a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is one of those fears that is in the back of everyone's mind at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
pre-meds always seems very optimistic and assumes that you are going to become a doctor because you "work hard and are very intelligent" or something like that. You hear it from friends, friends of friends, friends of parents, girlfriends parents, boyfriends parents...

Is it not the least bit unsettling knowing full well that nothing is guaranteed and that all of these people around you that want you to succeed and assume it's going to happen might possibly see you fail? I personally don't feel weak in any areas, but just the very thought of all of those people that I've ever met that know me watching me not achieve something as big as this is daunting.

Realistically, not everyone makes it to do what they want to do, and it just so happens that that is very true of becoming a doctor.

made me laugh

It is so frustrating when strangers assure me "Oh, don't worry, I'm sure you'll get in to medical school." I could have a 2.0 and be completely incompetent for all they know. They're just trying to be nice, but still...

Well and not to be rude but a lot of people of the family/friends/strangers who assume you will be a doctor have no idea what it takes to actually get into medical school much less succeed while you are there. It is very frusterating and scary.