Everytime I get ready to study I fall asleep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flapjacks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is getting bad, I'll have just woken up and I'll immediately get tired once I start getting all the slides and word opened up and within minutes ill feel sleepy. Halp?!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I sleep for 8-10 hours a day, I'm in as new a place as possible, Coffee makes me sleepy, Fluorescent lights actually do help. 1 for 4... sadface.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you should try studying after you sleep, like first thing in the morning.

Pre-medical and no reading comprehension, pls go.

i actually had/have the same problem, it's not as bad now that I don't have to sit down and study for hours on end, but it was exactly the same as you describe. i had plenty of sleep and would drink coffee and/or energy drinks but no matter what I did I would always start nodding off as soon as i started studying. The only thing I found that helped was just pushing through that initial 20 mins or so of almost passing out. It's hard as hell and you don't really get anything done because you keep having to go back and reread cuz you can't pay attention, but after that there is some sort of sympathetic response or something because I will suddenly become extremely awake and focused and can knock out 3 or more hours no problem.

It sucks and I don't know if it's common but the only real way I found to get over it is to just push through it and your brain will finally give in and pay attention.

i actually had/have the same problem, it's not as bad now that I don't have to sit down and study for hours on end, but it was exactly the same as you describe. i had plenty of sleep and would drink coffee and/or energy drinks but no matter what I did I would always start nodding off as soon as i started studying. The only thing I found that helped was just pushing through that initial 20 mins or so of almost passing out. It's hard as hell and you don't really get anything done because you keep having to go back and reread cuz you can't pay attention, but after that there is some sort of sympathetic response or something because I will suddenly become extremely awake and focused and can knock out 3 or more hours no problem.

It sucks and I don't know if it's common but the only real way I found to get over it is to just push through it and your brain will finally give in and pay attention.
I'd have to agree with this. I'm a frequent dozer (especially at noon conference) but once the 15-20 minutes pass I'm wide awake again. I try not to give in to a nap because I'm out of it for a longer of period of time when I wake up.

Wow that actually has happened to me on a few rare occasions, I say rare because I usually give in. I never thought of it in that way, kind of like getting over the activation energy. I'll try and aim to accomplish this more.

Also, I started a exercise routine (ripptoe's starting strength), that should boost my energy levels.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

It is getting bad, I'll have just woken up and I'll immediately get tired once I start getting all the slides and word opened up and within minutes ill feel sleepy. Halp?!

Maybe you should make a post in the sleep thread. Tell them what your trick is. I know those insomniacs could use all the help they can get

I find exercising makes me more tired. If it's lifting weights, forget about it, I would end up sore and fall asleep for 3 hours the moment I get home :(

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Check quality of sleep.
2. Get more (or less some people really do operate best at 7ish) sleep
3. Study in the AM
4. Profit???

Edited: and I doubt Rippetoe's is going to have you overflowing with energy, it's draining to do full body all the time. It's a good program but it won't be the solution to your woes.

Don't study at home.

I second this, especially on your bed since you're classically conditioning yourself to sleep on the bed. Always study around other people. When you're isolated, it makes you want to procrastinate and sleep, etc. Not saying you won't sleep, but when maybe you'll sleep less.

Otherwise, getting sleepy when studying is a normal response. Power nap for 30 mins if you're really tired or go work out. Also, start studying in the morning. The more you do it, the more you'll get used to it.

Exercise, bro.

+3

Regular exercise will give you more energy, and your sleep quality will improve on the nights of your workout days.

Don't study at home.

+3

Your bedroom ideally should be for nothing but sleep and sex. Studying works for some, but in your case, you don't want to be as far away from those comfy looking pillows as possible. Also, if you did get used to studying in your room (and worse, your bed), that could ruin your quality of sleep.

Study with other people.
Drink caffeine.
Get up and walk every 30-45 minutes.
Study at a good time for you. Don't fight your body's preference.
Bright lights.
Ergonomic chair, but not a big overstuffed comfy chair.
Heavy metal.
Snacks/munchies.
Minimal distractions.

I've long had similar issues. There have been a lot of great suggestions, a few I will reiterate:

*Find your peak time for studying during the day and mine all you can out of it. For instance, as soon as the sun starts to go down, my ability to study declines sharply. I never thought I was a morning person, but I do my best studying by far when it's early in the morning with some coffee.

*I do find listening to music helps as others have said. Some people find this very distracting, particularly if there are lyrics involved. I have Pandora stations to reflect my mood at the time, but I generally listen to jazz, electronica/"IDM", or ambient (although that can make me sleepy sometimes)

*This has been said several times but should be said again: NEVER study in your dorm/apartment. It's too comfortable, too easy to get distracted, and may mess with your ability to fall asleep (good sleep is paramount).

*Try to study actively instead of passively. Rather than just flipping through slides or word documents or whatever, try to actually do something to learn. For instance, the only way I can learn biochemical pathways is to draw them out over and over. I actually purchased a dry erase board for this purpose. I use this method for any kind of concept that can be represented in a diagram or flowchart. This is a great way to really test your understanding of material AND it has the added benefit of keeping you more active and alert.

Good luck!

You might have a gypsy cursing you. Try wolfsbane and warding off the evil eye.

You could be depressed (Speaking from experience here - I ran into the same exact issue with falling asleep once I start studying even after a full night's sleep and even right after taking a red bull (!).) If so, seek some help.

In any event, these are some general things that I have found useful:

Like others have said, maybe find another place to study - a change of scenery can sometimes really kick start your studying.

As someone else said, bright lights really help. I used to try and study in a dim room and it wasn't working for me, so I got a strong desk lamp and one of those standing lamps for the room and found it to help keep me awake.

Also, I would plow through that exhaustion - avoid the urge to lie down (this is just going to condition you to hit the sack every time you open a book). I find that getting past the first hour - 1.5 hours of studying is key. It's not super productive, but once I get over that hump, the next few hours tend to be better.

Avoid heavy meals! I love to eat, but about an hour after a semi-big meal, my brain is non-functional because all of that arterial blood is being shunted to my gut. Stick to lighter meals during the day and eat heavier later on when you studying for the day is about done.

Read out loud (or whisper read :) if you have roommates).- I found this to be extremely helpful for keeping me awake. I CANNOT read silently to myself when studying - I start getting sleepy. Reading out loud keeps me engaged and focused on the task at hand.

Take a break about every hour. My mind starts to wander/ shut down after about an hour or so, so I stop whatever I'm doing and walk around/ check my e-mail/ read an article on ESPN.com/ turn on the TV for 15 mins or so/ go to the bathroom/ get a snack/ whatever. Don't think about work at all during this break time. Your mind will be fresher when you get back to work.

Finally, don't let yourself get down. It can be pretty frustrating when you can barely stay awake. Just don't give up and try something new. It may take a couple of weeks until you get into a good studying routine/ groove. I think it took me about a month to get into a decent studying routine during second year.

Also, I don't know if this is the case with you, but too much sleep can be a bad thing, too - I find that some mornings, I'll wake up after 7 hours or so of sleep and not really feel tired, but am so comfy in my bed I don't want to get up. I end up falling asleep for another 1-2 hours and usually feel more tired & groggy when I do get up.

Maybe you should try studying after you sleep, like first thing in the morning.

I totally agree with you on this. Instead of trying to power through 10pm-1am, sleep from 10-5am and study for 3 hours in the morning. etc etc.

Also, I don't know if this is the case with you, but too much sleep can be a bad thing, too - I find that some mornings, I'll wake up after 7 hours or so of sleep and not really feel tired, but am so comfy in my bed I don't want to get up. I end up falling asleep for another 1-2 hours and usually feel more tired & groggy when I do get up.

Someone else mentioned this above, but this is exactly how I am too. When I sleep for around 7 hours, my body is awake and ready to go after the day. When I sleep more then this, I end up tired and unable to concentrate. I end up needing more naps in the day when I get this extra sleep. This may or may not be your problem, but something to think about.

I salute you. There is no way I could study with heavy metal playing.
Definitely not for everyone. I had always liked some heavy metal, like Metallica, Disturbed, and such, but when I started med school, I met up with a guy who was into some really heavy stuff. We became study partners (and good friends), and I started my descent into some pretty awesome stuff from Scandinavia, where the really good metal is made.

Trying a standing desk. I'll never go back to sitting. You can't get drowsy standing up. Good prep for the wards too :)

First step is good sleep hygiene. Try to get to bed and wake up at about the same time every day (even weekends!), avoid caffeine in the afternoon/evening, avoid your bed except for sleeping, exercise, take a warm shower before bed, don't eat heavy meals or drink alcohol before bed.

If you feel you are getting adequate amounts of sleep (8 hours for normal people, 3.2 for surgeons), and feel you are still excessively sleepy during the day, you should see a doctor. Try to avoid listening to the people who are trying to diagnose you over the internet with a CC of "I'm a sleepy med student." Welcome to med school. :p

Trying a standing desk. I'll never go back to sitting. You can't get drowsy standing up. Good prep for the wards too :)
You haven't hit your surgery rotation yet! :laugh:

Check your diet + exercise.

Healthy foods: Fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, lean proteins, etc. - Try to make these 80%+ of your diet.

It's hard to be tired when you sleep well, exercise 5-6 days a week and eat like a champ.

the question is, are you tired when you do your favorite hobby? if you aren't, it's probably just boredom.

given my own experience, you're probably bored. since the material is deadly monotonous. it's soporific. so of course you'll fall asleep.

the way to relieve boredom while studying is to make yourself uncomfortable, finds ways to make the material come alive with the resources you have, and to space out the studying.

Lecturers with Indian accent put me to sleep EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I prefer the Canadians.

Caffeine is definitely the "brute force" solution. I would recommend being sure to go to bed and wake up at the same time.

Exercise is definitely a plus, too. You'd be surprised how much working out actually wakes you up.

Caffeine is definitely the "brute force" solution. I would recommend being sure to go to bed and wake up at the same time.

Exercise is definitely a plus, too. You'd be surprised how much working out actually wakes you up.

Everyone says this, but I'm not seeing the benefits D:

At least, it doesn't work for me. I tend to crash for an hour in bed after exercise. Unless my body is malfunctioned haha

I have this problem, eating some candy or chewing flavorful gum usually helps me. Obviously eating a ton of candy wouldn't be that good of a thing but the sugar usually helps keep me focused and interested, maybe suck on some hard candy while you study, like mints or something

Coffee makes you sleepy? Define coffee. To some people "coffee" = an 8 oz Dunk-N-Donuts coffee-flavored water latte with extra cream and 5 packets of sugar.

Coffee makes you sleepy? Define coffee. To some people "coffee" = an 8 oz Dunk-N-Donuts coffee-flavored water latte with extra cream and 5 packets of sugar.

Ya that's what coffee is to me or the only bare able way for me To drink it.

With enough caffeine it is possible to reach a point of fatigue, when your bodily organs are just too stressed out from all the stimulation and start demanding rest.

adderall.gif

I Tried to get dat der adderall from a family friend doctor, and he said that people who tend to need adderall would either show signs of depression or mania and denied prescribing it for me.