Garibaldo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Status
I desperately want to see the rec letters written for me by different people. Hypothetically (not that I'd ever do this), is it plausible to use my address (which is near a medical school) and have the letter service office at my undergrad institution send them there under the false pretense that it belongs to the admissions committee of that medical school? Again, it sounds evil and unethical (hence the title of the post). Let the flames begin!

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2001
Visit site
Status
won't work. they have the original address of each admissions committee at each school as back up in case students choose to do pranks like this.

good one though. sorry to let you know it won't work.

About the Ads

Dr. Wall$treet

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2002
Phoenix
Visit site
Status
a couple o fmy profs along the way would send me a copy as well as to hte premed office so i was able to view a few. My premed lady is cool though, shell read them for you and tell you which ones are strong and which ones are not. but DONT steal them!!!

wolferman

Member?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2002
Idaho
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
won't work. they have the original address of each admissions committee at each school as back up in case students choose to do pranks like this.
So that's the reason they have the addresses. I always wondered.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2001
Visit site
Status
I don't know. I found it funny too. They refused to take my list that I had made (I wanted to make it easier on them by typing out a list of all Ad Coms that I am applying to) and insisted on keeping what they had.

The Hulk

Official Green Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2002
Cambridge, MA
Visit site
Status
As usual Random Access and Tweetie Bird have pretty much said it all. I just have one question though, Garibaldo... Are you just insanely curious or do you not totally trust your LOR writers? If its the former than I would just refer you to the old adage... you know.. about the cat... but if its the latter, than I would have to ask why you would even try and get a LOR from someone whom you didn't even trust would write you a good one?

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2001
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Garibaldo
I desperately want to see the rec letters written for me by different people. Hypothetically (not that I'd ever do this), is it plausible to use my address (which is near a medical school) and have the letter service office at my undergrad institution send them there under the false pretense that it belongs to the admissions committee of that medical school? Again, it sounds evil and unethical (hence the title of the post). Let the flames begin!
if u wanted to read them, then u should have NOT signed the confidentiality waiver. no one made you sign that waiver. but then, your LORs would have been pretty wothless to adcoms if it wasn't confidential. beggers can't be choosers...

squidget

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2002
new york
Visit site
Status
I super love this subject line... it still cracks me up when I see it on the first page. It's confirmation that I'm an evil pre-med!

limit

Molesting my inner-child
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2000
New York City
Status
Evil pre med here

OP
Garibaldo

Garibaldo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Jalby
Shocking. He's from Berkeley.
Is it shocking that I would have good recs from Berkeley or that I'm an evil pre-med from Berkeley? I get that it's supposed to be sarcastic (I hope). I'd understand either way. Just curious.

Random Access

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Garibaldo
Is it shocking that I would have good recs from Berkeley or that I'm an evil pre-med from Berkeley? I get that it's supposed to be sarcastic (I hope). I'd understand either way. Just curious.
See, I was thinking b/c he's a Trojan...

-RA

CD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
I had several prof's write letters for my admission to grad. school. NONE of them let me know what they had wrote. It's about killed me with curiosity. Particularly when I teased one of them about it and he said, "Oh, someday when you grow up, I'll tell you what I wrote" It was quite funny because I'm an older non-traditional student.....we both laughed. The point was he DIDN'T want to tell me. I wondered what was in there until after I matriculated into grad. school and several of my new prof's made inference to the letter written by this same prof. For instance, when I refused to let a new prof. off the hook over a question I had asked, he shook his head (smiling) and said...."your references said you were tenacious but I didn't understand HOW tenacious". In addition, someone else said that I was EXTREMELY persistant( found out from another prof. that had read my letters). It is entirely possible that sometime in the future you may get tidbits from the school you matriculate in!.......but that almost makes it worse!

poloace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2001
NY,NY
Visit site
Status
this is funny... but, i know what you mean. actually, when i applied to grad school right out of college, the schools would want the letters in sealed envelopes to be sent in with your application. so, when i realized that i didn't want to apply to one of the schools anymore, i just went ahead and opened up the letters that were going to go to that school and read them. i had some rad-ass professors.

p

Street Philosopher

freebird
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2000
ann arbor
Status
i just recently found out that the USC med school isn't at the main campus, but instead across the street from county usc. i guess no dipping in the undergrad pool?

About the Ads