EVMS Class of 2009 aka entering class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mplee79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off CONGRATS! EVMS is an awesome school! I wanted to start a thread for the incoming students to EVMS for 2005. I am already in the area, so, if anyone needs any info or would like to meet up just drop a line here ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sweety! It's me! ^_^ How come no one else is coming to EVMS? Come play with us! We're fun people! We're DIVINE IN '09!!!! Hahahahahaha. :laugh:

Oops. I didn't know you had used my computer. Haha... Looks like you were talking to yourself. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
i really hope to join u guys =) ...Im currently at the mid third.

u two both from Cali?

kylahs said:
i really hope to join u guys =) ...Im currently at the mid third.

u two both from Cali?

Yeh, we're both from San Diego :) Where are you from? Is EVMS your top choice? Call Dr. McCombs and let him know how much you want to be there. He's wonderful to work with and persistence definetly pays off.

mplee79 said:
Yeh, we're both from San Diego :) Where are you from? Is EVMS your top choice? Call Dr. McCombs and let him know how much you want to be there. He's wonderful to work with and persistence definetly pays off.

Born and raised in Miami. Yep, EVMS is my top choice. And my brother lives in Norfolk --- it'd be great to live with him.

I emailed him this past weekend.... I'll give him a phone call in a few weeks if he doesn't reply to the email.

I'll be attending EVMS!

kylahs said:
I emailed him this past weekend.... I'll give him a phone call in a few weeks if he doesn't reply to the email.

I think emailing/calling one of the Admission's Office secretaries is also effective, IMO.

UNTIETK! Welcome to EVMS!!! We're excited to have you! Woo hoo!!! I'm sure you'll recognize mplee79 and I since we will likely be the only Asian couple in our class. He was in the SMP here and will be your TA for all your M1 classes (except Anatomy), and I've doing research here since January, so if you need anything or have any questions, feel free!

KYLAHS - like everyone else said - contact the Office of Admissions. Calls are good, but always leave a paper trail (i.e. write it down!) It's best to talk to Dean McCombs, but talking to Sue Castora (Director) is a good idea also. Tell them what you're been involved in recently, what awards you've won, update your grades, talk about what field you're interested in (how you became interested in it and how you've continued to feed your interest), what clubs at evms you'd be interested in, what your ideas are for med school (new clubs/activities?), and most imporantly WHY DO YOU LOVE EVMS??? Good luck!

MaDe in Cali said:
UNTIETK! Welcome to EVMS!!! We're excited to have you! Woo hoo!!! I'm sure you'll recognize mplee79 and I since we will likely be the only Asian couple in our class. He was in the SMP here and will be your TA for all your M1 classes (except Anatomy), and I've doing research here since January, so if you need anything or have any questions, feel free!

KYLAHS - like everyone else said - contact the Office of Admissions. Calls are good, but always leave a paper trail (i.e. write it down!) It's best to talk to Dean McCombs, but talking to Sue Castora (Director) is a good idea also. Tell them what you're been involved in recently, what awards you've won, update your grades, talk about what field you're interested in (how you became interested in it and how you've continued to feed your interest), what clubs at evms you'd be interested in, what your ideas are for med school (new clubs/activities?), and most imporantly WHY DO YOU LOVE EVMS??? Good luck!

Also you may want to include what unique experiences and flava you may bring to our class :)

Unitek, when are you coming to Norfolk? I'm in China right now, but Madeincali (jennifer) would be happy to show you around. She'll be there the entire summer. I'll be back on July 24

i appreciate the info + tips. I'll keep u guys posted.

Hello to all the accepted.
I'm not in your number yet (top 1/3), but I'm interested in reserving an apartment in Norfolk near the school. So if it comes down to the wire, I'll have an edge. (coming from CA)
I'm looking for a nice place, quiet and close (walking distance if possible) to the campus. Preferably just a couple roomies, just me and another person (student or not) is ideal. What areas, buildings, or houses would you recommend? Any veterans of the housing hunt in Norfolk would be wonderful, but my prospective classmates are just as welcome. PM me or post below.
Thanks all!

mplee79 said:
Also you may want to include what unique experiences and flava you may bring to our class :)

BTW listen to this guy (mike) he knows what he is talking about. Lets just say he falls just behind me in being "the man"...haha.

Dave

Members don't see this ad :)
subtle1epiphany said:
Hello to all the accepted.
I'm not in your number yet (top 1/3), but I'm interested in reserving an apartment in Norfolk near the school. So if it comes down to the wire, I'll have an edge. (coming from CA)
I'm looking for a nice place, quiet and close (walking distance if possible) to the campus. Preferably just a couple roomies, just me and another person (student or not) is ideal. What areas, buildings, or houses would you recommend? Any veterans of the housing hunt in Norfolk would be wonderful, but my prospective classmates are just as welcome. PM me or post below.
Thanks all!

Hey subtle,

I'll be purchasing a condo in August and will have to end the lease on my apartment. It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, kitchen, central air, etc... Great price $625/month and a can't beat it location just across the street from school. Give me a call at 858-603-5367 or 858-336-9901 after you get in and I can show you the place. Alternatively, you can check out this site http://sinapse.evms.edu/ This site is hosted by EVMS and there are always apartment listings in the classifieds section.

Good luck and hope to see you in August!

callendm said:
BTW listen to this guy (mike) he knows what he is talking about. Lets just say he falls just behind me in being "the man"...haha.

Dave

I definately can't deny... DAVE is really the man. All future M1s will find out why. :thumbup: How's your summer going Dave?

Hey fellow EVMSer's...
I'm an upcoming M1 student and I cannot seem to figure out how to log into the Sinapse/student portal thing. I have an apartment in Hague Park Apartments and I'm looking for a female roommate, and I wanted to post it on the site. Any help would be greatly appreciated (or if you are interested in the apartment, let me know). Thanks!

Hey! Sorry, Dave, Mike is the #1 MAN!!!!

Anyway, beachywahoo, I think you are supposed to call... um... I want to say Angelina Smith, but something tells me I'm pulling that name out of my -ahem- So just call the admissions office instead and ask them. Or, if you want, just let me know and I'd be glad to try to post up your info, but calling the office is probably best. =) Good luck!

Subtle1epiphany, ooh! You're from Cali! Woo hoo! Man, do I miss home... Enjoy it while you can and hopefully we'll see you here in August! Don't forget to call/write the admissions office!

Oh yay, there are other asians there. More than just you two, right? I think I'll be heading to Norfolk the weekend after August 1st. I was down there last weekend looking for apts.
How do you like Norfolk? Where do students hang out, eat, shop for food and clothes down there?

Ooh! Are you Asian? Let me think... so far, I know of 3 full Asians and 2 half Asians. Anyway, how much you like Norfolk might depend on where you're coming from. For me, a die-hard Californian, nothing quite compares. I hate the humidity and the snow and the floods here (there must not have been city planning when they built the roads of Norfolk because they all flood when it rains a lot). However, there are definitely good points. The Hague (a man-made river) is really pretty, and I like that there are really nice, pretty, and safe neighborhoods for me to go jogging. There aren't as many good restaurants as I'm used to, but I've found a place with EXCELLENT wine, cheese, and dessert, EXCELLENT milkshakes, and a good Korean place. For me, though, it wasn't really home until I found someone I liked to wax my eyebrows and a couple Asian markets. Hehe. I've found Korean and Vietnamese markets out in Pembroke. There's a Harris Teeter around here for regular grocery shopping, but if you have the time to drive down to Wal-Mart by Military Circle (10 mins), it's much cheaper. Anyway, people go and hang out in downtown Ghen which is basically a 1/2 mile strip on Colley, and there are also restaurants down 21st St. There's also downtown Norfolk where the mall and the waterside are. The MacArthur Center Mall is pretty decent. There are a lot of good shops there. Of course, it depends on where you like to go shopping. I do, however, think it's odd that there's no Banana Republic there. I've never seen a mall without BR. All the clubs and bars are on Granby St in downtown Norfolk. None of them are very big, but they are cheap, chill, and you never have to wait outside forever in line. Oh yeah, and there are 4 coffeeshops - 2 starbucks, a panera, and one other. All in all, I find Norfolk to be very pretty, relaxing, and I love that people are so friendly here. It must be that southern hospitality. It's not a big city, but you can find fun things to do. Plus they're renovating and trying to make it a cooler place to be. Can't wait to meet you in August! If you want a little tour when you get here, let me know. However, August 3-8, some of us are driving up to Chicago for two of our classmates' wedding... aw... :) But we'll be back! So let us know if you need anything!

Ah, thank you for saying there's a couple of Asian markets. :thumbup: How far away are they (I have a car). Do we have to pay for parking at school, how much is it? I will probably live about 15 minutes away walking but I think I may still drive. :-[
Do we wait until orientation to set up email and whatnot?
Sounds like some of that Southern hospitality is rubbing off on you. Have fun at the wedding!

untietk said:
Ah, thank you for saying there's a couple of Asian markets. :thumbup: How far away are they (I have a car). Do we have to pay for parking at school, how much is it? I will probably live about 15 minutes away walking but I think I may still drive. :-[
Do we wait until orientation to set up email and whatnot?
Sounds like some of that Southern hospitality is rubbing off on you. Have fun at the wedding!

The asian markets are about 10-15 minutes away by car. The school will provide you with a free parking pass to park in the garage, which is directly across the school. Email accounts will be provided to you during orientation. Where are you from?

I'm from Northern Virginia. :-\ Will miss beind near D.C. You're from Cali right? Heading to LA and Vegas for a short vacation in July.
Sweet about the garage.

mplee79 said:
I definately can't deny... DAVE is really the man. All future M1s will find out why. :thumbup: How's your summer going Dave?

Loving life and playing Army Doctor in San Antonio, Texas until the end of July. Hope your summer is going well too.

Dave

callendm said:
Loving life and playing Army Doctor in San Antonio, Texas until the end of July. Hope your summer is going well too.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Having a blast out in China. Will be back at the end of July as well. Let's get together then. Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Hi!
I'm looking to get a laptop in the next couple weeks and I was wondering if any current evms students could give me any advice. Does the school require any specific computer components or is there anything that y'all would recommend? Thanks for any info, see y'all in a couple weeks! :D
Jesse

This might be a better question for Dave or Mike, but I know Mike just has an average laptop. He uses it to study all the time. It's nice cuz he can bring it to school with an ethernet cord and connect to the internet at school. Or he can go to Panera or Starbucks to study too. From what I can tell you usually use your computer to DL stuff off of Blackboard (which is where profs post files and papers). EVMS doesn't require anything fancy, though. So get what makes you happy. I have a laptop designed mostly for entertainment purposes. I love my extra-wide screen. Have fun computer shopping!

This might be a better question for Dave or Mike, but I know Mike just has an average laptop. He uses it to study all the time. It's nice cuz he can bring it to school with an ethernet cord and connect to the internet at school. Or he can go to Panera or Starbucks to study too. From what I can tell you usually use your computer to DL stuff off of Blackboard (which is where profs post files and papers). EVMS doesn't require anything fancy, though. So get what makes you happy. I have a laptop designed mostly for entertainment purposes. I love my extra-wide screen. Have fun computer shopping!

Dave, I didn't know you were military! How's SA? We have a friend who just finished his internship and a few weeks ago, went to SA to do some crazy combat training. It sounded like it sucked. Hope you're having a better time!

Specs are not going to matter....personal pref. from top of line on down...

Really it comes down to a couple things. Probably hold off on the laptop until a few weeks into school. Talk to some people, get a feel for your studying habits. I know plenty of people that really have no need for one. I on the other hand use mine each day. Do you have $2,000? If so, get a nice one. Last year I had an older IBM think pad. It did just fine for Powerpoint, Word, etc. This year I have a much nicer one. Kinda of a compulsive buy, oh well. More importantly get a IPOD...I will leave it at that

This summer in SA has been great and the downtown river walk is beautiful. I even managed to graduate from my program with honors this summer ;). I am excited to get back to Norfolk. Two questions, how many got in from Mike's class and did John get married this summer???

Dave

I am an entering Medical Master's student and thought this thread would be great on recieving advise as to what areas are nice to live in. If someone could recommend a sweet apartment complex that would be also very helpful.

Regards,

Tooth

Dave, was there ever a QUESTION that you would graduate with honors? DUH!

I'll PM you with the down-low on the SMPers. Doubt they want their names posted up in a public board.

TiggidyTooth: Hague Club is the best and cheapest apts b/c it's owned by the school. After that, Ghent (the area right around EVMS) is more expensive relative to the rest of Norfolk, but living closer can provide a better sense of community. (Most places in Ghent are within 1 mile of EVMS.) Not to mention, there are definitely some cheap places here and there in Ghent. In fact, I think there's one one floor above mine and mplee's. I'll PM you with the address and who to call. If you're willing to live further, just don't live across a bridge (i.e. Portsmouth and parts of Chesapeake). Bridge traffic is terrible. Look on sinapse.evms.edu if you're looking for a roommate. There will be posts in the classified section. If you want to put up a post, I think you call Angelina Smith and let her know. She'll post one for you. Good luck!

Congrats y'all! Can't wait to see you in August!!

As for housing: check the postings on sinapse and try calling the realty companies listed with the postings to see if they have any additional places. I have 2 other roommates and the three of us looked for a while before lucking into the place we have now. One of the girls just happened to see a sign in the window while looking at other apartments. Be patient while you're looking. There are good apartments out there, and also some pretty rotten ones. Ours is really nice but we saw apartments with astroturf carpeting and rooms that would fit a bed and NO other furniture (literally) before we found the right place.

Enjoy the rest of the summer! The social chairs promise to have excellent things planned for your first days of school!

love,
McP

Hey!
Anybody interested in going out to a bar sometime this week? I'm not doing anything the next week before school starts and if anybody else is in the same boat we could all meet at one of the Ghent bars if that's closest. Lemme know if this something y'all would be interested in. I was thinking maybe thur, fri or sat? Lemme know, looking forward to meeting (and drinking with) y'all!
Jesse

wldhokie said:
Hey!
Anybody interested in going out to a bar sometime this week? I'm not doing anything the next week before school starts and if anybody else is in the same boat we could all meet at one of the Ghent bars if that's closest. Lemme know if this something y'all would be interested in. I was thinking maybe thur, fri or sat? Lemme know, looking forward to meeting (and drinking with) y'all!
Jesse

Yeh one of those days should be fine. I'll round up some people and we can meet up at one of the bars on colley. Alternatively, if you're interested, a group of us may be going to Busch Gardens on Tuesday. Let me know if you would like to come. :)

wldhokie said:
Hey!
Jesse

I want to come out with you guys too!! I'm in Va Beach right now, and would love to get out on the town before the hard part starts. Maybe someone could PM me about where you are going and when. Can't wait to start meeting fellow med students.

mplee79 said:
First off CONGRATS! EVMS is an awesome school! I wanted to start a thread for the incoming students to EVMS for 2005. I am already in the area, so, if anyone needs any info or would like to meet up just drop a line here ;)

Hi everyone - just joining in the thread since I'll be going to EVMS too. Congrats everyone!

We just moved into Ghent - really enjoying this neighborhood so far! :D

beachywahoo05 said:
I want to come out with you guys too!! I'm in Va Beach right now, and would love to get out on the town before the hard part starts. Maybe someone could PM me about where you are going and when. Can't wait to start meeting fellow med students.

Hi EVMS'ers -
Is anyone having trouble accessing the EVMS website (Sinapse, Blackboard, etc) off-campus this weekend? I don't know what the problem is...it seems like other websites are working fine!
thanks!