EVMS Med Masters 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I must say this program seems like a Godsend. The only thing that kind of bums me out is the OOS price. Assuming you matriculate into EVMS for medschool after the 1 year program, the total COA after M4 would be $418,970. Wow. This is not accounting for undergrad and interest rates. Can anyone current MM or MD students speak to this? Are the projected COA accurate or is it lower in reality? Also are there any kinds of grants/scholarships available?

Members don't see this ad.

I must say this program seems like a Godsend. The only thing that kind of bums me out is the OOS price. Assuming you matriculate into EVMS for medschool after the 1 year program, the total COA after M4 would be $418,970. Wow. This is not accounting for undergrad and interest rates. Can anyone current MM or MD students speak to this? Are the projected COA accurate or is it lower in reality? Also are there any kinds of grants/scholarships available?

It's accurate. It sucks. There is no significant grants or scholarships.

I will say that the program is very good at what it does and if you can complete the program successfully your chance of getting into medical school is very good. The cost ****ing sucks for OOS students but what can you do. If you get lucky you get into another cheaper OOS school or an ISS while doing the program and you leave EVMS after the masters. If you dont get lucky and get into EVMS you either matriculate at EVMS or deny the acceptance and hope you get an acceptance somewhere cheaper the next year, but I am fairly certain that the fact you turned down an MD acceptance goes on your AMCAS application. The way I think about it is you either get lucky or you postpone a year and hopefully got somewhere cheaper but by doing this you are saving money on tuition but you are losing out on a year of attending money which in all likelihood will negate any tuition savings unless you get into a really cheap ISS like texas. Being an older non-trad with a family I did the math before attending and realized it made financial sense to go with the program the only specialties is really closes are the lowest of the low reimbursing ones like genetics or infectious disease (average income <$200k/yr). Every other specialty can pay off the money you just have to live like you're making $75k/yr for a few years after residency.

Reactions: 6 users
It's accurate. It sucks. There is no significant grants or scholarships.

I will say that the program is very good at what it does and if you can complete the program successfully your chance of getting into medical school is very good. The cost ****ing sucks for OOS students but what can you do. If you get lucky you get into another cheaper OOS school or an ISS while doing the program and you leave EVMS after the masters. If you dont get lucky and get into EVMS you either matriculate at EVMS or deny the acceptance and hope you get an acceptance somewhere cheaper the next year, but I am fairly certain that the fact you turned down an MD acceptance goes on your AMCAS application. The way I think about it is you either get lucky or you postpone a year and hopefully got somewhere cheaper but by doing this you are saving money on tuition but you are losing out on a year of attending money which in all likelihood will negate any tuition savings unless you get into a really cheap ISS like texas. Being an older non-trad with a family I did the math before attending and realized it made financial sense to go with the program the only specialties is really closes are the lowest of the low reimbursing ones like genetics or infectious disease (average income <$200k/yr). Every other specialty can pay off the money you just have to live like you're making $75k/yr for a few years after residency.
You made a lot of good points. If I get into a cheaper In State school, I'll probably go there but if not, matriculating into EVMS is an amazing option. Turning down an MD acceptance is definitely not the move lol. I like everything about the program/school except the price. And after doing some more research, the COA is not out of the ordinary for OOS schools. Makes me wonder how the average debt is still <250k.

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't getting instate tuition unless you have lived in Virginia for at least 12 months prior to starting any educational program. There is no way around this really, its a decision made at the state level on what constitutes in-state vs out-state. Even though you would be living in virginia for 12 months before starting your M1 year Virginia doesnt see it that way since you are only in Virginia for those 12 months because of school. I tried getting in-state status through my wife but even that wouldnt work. Also there is no way to reduce tuition at all. Best bet is to use the free time M1 year to tutor/TA and make a small amount of money or get research done and hopefully a publication.

I see, so you can't qualify in-state even if by the time M2 starts by which time you'd have lived there 24 months? What else do you need to qualify for IS?

I heard back from the admissions advisor when I submitted my mcat score report but havent heard back since then ( been about a week and a half) :(
Hi, did you email your score report to this email: "[email protected]". I submitted a score report almost two weeks ago, but did not get a reply about it. Then 5 days ago I got an email about my application being received and it was being sent to the program. I dont know if I should email them asking if they got my score report. Btw congrats on getting in!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, did you email your score report to this email: "[email protected]". I submitted a score report almost two weeks ago, but did not get a reply about it. Then 5 days ago I got an email about my application being received and it was being sent to the program. I dont know if I should email them asking if they got my score report. Btw congrats on getting in!!
Hey! I emailed it to the admissions advisor that I was assigned! I don't think it's a bad idea to double-check. They are pretty responsive and will surely get back to you soon!
Thanks so much! Hope to see you post that acceptance soon :)

Hi guys! for those that submitted practice score reports, did you send them as a PDF of the web page displaying your score?

Does anyone know how often people get off the waitlist?

Hey! I emailed it to the admissions advisor that I was assigned! I don't think it's a bad idea to double-check. They are pretty responsive and will surely get back to you soon!
Thanks so much! Hope to see you post that acceptance soon :)

I hope so too! Still haven't heard back yet. Did you send them reports of all your practice tests?

I hope so too! Still haven't heard back yet. Did you send them reports of all your practice tests?
I sent them one detailed report of my practice test with the subsection breakdowns!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard back at all. I even sent an email earlier this week just to make sure that had everything. Ugh I don't know what to make of that. ://

Same! I emailed last week and I never got a response. Can we call?

Same! I emailed last week and I never got a response. Can we call?

No I've called them but they are only responding via email at this time. They usually respond same day or within 24 hours from my experience. I've been emailing them alot the last two weeks

No I've called them but they are only responding via email at this time. They usually respond same day or within 24 hours from my experience. I've been emailing them alot the last two weeks
What email have you been using? I emailed someone last week but haven’t gotten a response.

Are classes going to all be online for the Fall?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

To those that have been accepted, how far along are you guys with you AMCAS AACOMAS apps? Still working on them? Everything submitted?

To those that have been accepted, how far along are you guys with you AMCAS AACOMAS apps? Still working on them? Everything submitted?
Submitted a couple of days ago. I would work on them now get everything done and entered especially since it takes a couple of days or even a week for them to receive your transcript so the only thing you have left to do is to enter in your EVMS classes once you get in and you can just submit. The earlier you submit the faster you get verified and they said that verification could be slower this year due to COVID

Reactions: 1 users
Are classes going to all be online for the Fall?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
They said it will be a mix. A lot will still be in person and some will be online they weren’t too specific with the details so you’ll definitely need to find a place to live down there. Student housing is already full although a bunch of people are looking for roommates since some of them are two bedroom

If we haven't heard back by now should we just assume its a no-go? :(

Hi, I am trying to apply in September when next cycle opens up- how quickly do you find out generally if you're accepted? Waiting to hear back on my MCAT (7/7) but I was averaging a 511 when I took it last week. My CGPA is 3.04 and my SGPA is 2.89. I live in Hampton Roads and currently an active duty military, getting out Jan 2022 so my timeline is sort of narrow.
I applied pretty early in the cycle around December and had found out within 2 weeks! So I think if you apply that early you can expect a decision from them by no more than a month later. I think the long waiting for a decision only becomes an issue for people applying April or later when most of the seats are already filled up. And I had similar stats so I think you should have no problem getting in! Good luck!

I see, so you can't qualify in-state even if by the time M2 starts by which time you'd have lived there 24 months? What else do you need to qualify for IS?

I think your time as a student doesn't count toward your instate status. You would need to be working full time or part time in the state, and not taking classes, to count toward the 12 months. So you could take classes for a year, work full time as a gap year, and then possibly get instate status. I went to a public school for undergrad in Georgia, and that's how it works in Georgia at least.

The state wants your sweet income tax money haha

I applied pretty early in the cycle around December and had found out within 2 weeks! So I think if you apply that early you can expect a decision from them by no more than a month later. I think the long waiting for a decision only becomes an issue for people applying April or later when most of the seats are already filled up. And I had similar stats so I think you should have no problem getting in! Good luck!

That is great to hear. Thank you very much for the reply. I'm hoping to have my app fully submitted on Sept 1st.

I talked to PostBacCAS today and they said that it opens for next cycle Aug 13th, for the Sept 1st opening so I guess I'll have to wait til then to get everything sent out for LORs.

Just got acceptance offer :) can't wait to meet everyone in fall

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations! Was it for 1 or 2 year?

Thank you!!! The 1-year :) I was so anxiety ridden waiting for the decision, now I feel I can finally get some decent sleep. Thank you to everyone I PM'd for answering my questions about the program

Just got waitlisted for the 2 year program. Does anyone know how often people get off the waitlist or how long to hear back?

Sorry to all for the delay...things have been pretty hectic the past couple weeks. Hopefully emails to [email protected] or your application advisor are being answered, but just to answer a couple of the more common questions being asked:

We've gotten a lot of very strong applications this year, which has resulted in a larger than normal wait list. We're unsure how quickly students will be moved from the waitlist at this point, but as students continue to hear about medical school acceptances this summer it is likely that spots will open up. We just don't know how many or when.

If you have any specific questions about your application you can email [email protected] or your application advisor. We're here to answer your questions so feel free to reach out. We're still working remotely so no phone calls at this point.

IS/OOS questions should be directed to Financial Aid.

We're trying to do as much in person as we can safely. The hope is to have as much in person with anatomy as possible especially. Lectures are typically always a combination of in person and online, so that shouldn't change much unless we need to go back to fully online again. We're bound by what the med school does since that's where our classes are based.

@a7las at the beginning of the cycle you can expect your application to take a couple weeks to be reviewed. They are being reviewed more quickly right now, but once the new cycle opens up we may go back to our normal 2 week admission meetings. It will largely depend on when we are back on campus.

For people who were accepted into the one year program without an MCAT when are you planning on taking it this cycle?

For people who were accepted into the one year program without an MCAT when are you planning on taking it this cycle?

I plan on taking it mid-August, I informed them of that and they seemed okay with it :) still waiting on AMCAS fee waiver approval, they have been pretty busy with all the people submitting their primaries

August 7th. Solid 2 days before classes lol

Is the program still accepting students to the one-year masters, or is it accepting directly to the waiting list at this point?

Just got an email saying that there isn't much movement on the wait list and that "It is my belief that an offer this cycle would be unlikely"

Gl to all that got in

Just got an email saying that there isn't much movement on the wait list and that "It is my belief that an offer this cycle would be unlikely"

Gl to all that got in
Thanks for that update!

You made a lot of good points. If I get into a cheaper In State school, I'll probably go there but if not, matriculating into EVMS is an amazing option. Turning down an MD acceptance is definitely not the move lol. I like everything about the program/school except the price. And after doing some more research, the COA is not out of the ordinary for OOS schools. Makes me wonder how the average debt is still <250k.

Remember average debt includes people lucky enough to have family or personal means to pay tuition in full. I'm gonna graduate with ~$450k all it takes is one person paying their full tuition and our average debt is down to $225k.

Basically there is no way to get instate status as a student.

Hi, I am trying to apply in September when next cycle opens up- how quickly do you find out generally if you're accepted? Waiting to hear back on my MCAT (7/7) but I was averaging a 511 when I took it last week. My CGPA is 3.04 and my SGPA is 2.89. I live in Hampton Roads and currently an active duty military, getting out Jan 2022 so my timeline is sort of narrow.

Very quick they meet twice a month or so to review applications if you apply in the fall it could be anywhere from <1 week (if you apply right before they meet) to ~3 weeks if you apply right after they had a meeting. I applied in feb and got accepted in just over a week.

I think your time as a student doesn't count toward your instate status. You would need to be working full time or part time in the state, and not taking classes, to count toward the 12 months. So you could take classes for a year, work full time as a gap year, and then possibly get instate status. I went to a public school for undergrad in Georgia, and that's how it works in Georgia at least.

The state wants your sweet income tax money haha

From what I have experienced Virginia is basically the same as Georgia.

Hello, just curious- for those doing the year program... What happens if you retake the MCAT (as stated in the program) and you don't score a 503 or higher? Does that decrease your chances of matriculating to EVMS?

Hello, just curious- for those doing the year program... What happens if you retake the MCAT (as stated in the program) and you don't score a 503 or higher? Does that decrease your chances of matriculating to EVMS?

I'm not positive but I feel like in general below a 503 isn't very strong for med schools, so I would assume it might hurt a bit :/ but you've been studying hard- you can do it!!!!

I'm not positive but I feel like in general below a 503 isn't very strong for med schools, so I would assume it might hurt a bit :/ but you've been studying hard- you can do it!!!!
Thanks for the encouragement :)

• Love
Hey all, couldn't find the new Med Masters thread so posting here. I'm a current reapplicant this cycle, and have 0 IIs and planning on backup plans. Last year, I interviewed at EVMS and was ultimately waitlisted in the top third and then rejected. I was thinking about applying to Med Masters this month, but was wondering if that was a good idea because I already have my application in for EVMS this cycle. Would it be frowned upon for me to apply to ACMS while my other application is still under review? I loved the area and this school even more during my visit and would love to attend here through Med Masters. Thanks so much!

If you're applying to the one year med master's program, all students apply to the medical school as well so they can be reviewed after completing their year, and if accepted can matriculate immediately into the following school year. It's advised to apply before the program starts so students aren't trying to juggle their classes and application at the same time. It would definitely not be frowned upon to have an application in and is basically expected!

also- the 2021-2022 cycle discussion can be found here! link