EVMS Medical Master's (1 year & 2 year) 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVMS Medical Master's

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any questions about the EVMS Med Master's program feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I'll be able to get two letters of rec from a science faculty! Should I even try to apply? I have 700 clinical hours and about 250 volunteer hours, would I be able to replace the two letters with letters from managers?

I didn't score as well on the MCAT as I would of liked, but am retaking it before the start of the program. Have you heard of them waiving the score to still be considered for the 1 year program? I already asked them about this, but am still waiting a response.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do students typically fund attending the MM programs?

How do students typically fund attending the MM programs?

I assume like any traditional masters or similar to med schools. You just apply through FASFA, and should get a federal loan package that covers the cost of attendance.

I don't think I'll be able to get two letters of rec from a science faculty! Should I even try to apply? I have 700 clinical hours and about 250 volunteer hours, would I be able to replace the two letters with letters from managers?
We require the science letters because med schools are typically going to require them. You can sometimes get one from a faculty member in the program, but keep in mind that the earliest you could get one is October. If you're not planning on applying while in the program you can get them through our faculty. If you can even get one from undergrad that would be helpful. Feel free to email [email protected] to speak with someone in more detail.

I didn't score as well on the MCAT as I would of liked, but am retaking it before the start of the program. Have you heard of them waiving the score to still be considered for the 1 year program? I already asked them about this, but am still waiting a response.
We unfortunately cannot waive the MCAT requirement. If you have already applied you can update us with a new score later and we can re-review your application at that time. But we cannot waive the minimum score requirement.

Can you apply to the program and be considered for Fall admission if you are planning to take the MCAT in August?

Are there any groupme chats or other groups for accepted students?

Hey guys, I'm a current M1 and former MM 1 yr student. If you guys have any questions about the area, or my personal experiences feel free to reach out. I was once where you were so I am happy to help.

If any accepted students are looking for a roomate inbox me, I'm looking to fill a room in a house =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you apply to the program and be considered for Fall admission if you are planning to take the MCAT in August?
I wouldn't think so since the scores take about a month to be released and program starts in mid August.

Does this program guarantee an interview if you meet the GPA/MCAT threshold?

Does this program guarantee an interview if you meet the GPA/MCAT threshold?
If you have at least a 3.0 in the Fall semester & a 503 MCAT you should interview in the Spring. There are very rare exceptions to this. So while it's not a formal agreement, this is the understanding that is in place.

I am also a former Med Master student who is now in residency. It’s been quite a while since I was in the program so some things have changed but I am still willing to answer any general questions you all my have.

Could any recent EVMS Med Master's grads DM me, if possible? I would really appreciate it.

Hi everyone,
I am a former medical master’s student at EVMS and am currently finished my first year of medical school at a different institution. I wanted to give a warning to anyone who is considering starting this program, especially if you are an in-state student. In the last two years the program has been rejecting in-state students who have done well above average in the program and given spots to out of state students who did not perform as well. The people who run this program make it seem like if you just do above average compared to your class that you will be accepted, but I wanted to warn anyone who is considering this program that this is not the case.

I personally studied on average 12 hours a day and put my entire life on hold for this program. I finished ranked in the top fourth of my medical master’s class and was told throughout the year by admissions that I had a strong chance of getting in. I had an above average MCAT compared to those in the program, I was told I had a perfect interview in the spring, and I was also told by admissions that my application was extremely strong and needed no improvement. I was completely shocked and heartbroken when I found out at the end of the year that I had been rejected. Furthermore, I was extremely caught off guard when I saw the out of state students they accepted, who were below average in the class and had lower stats overall. I think it serves as a reminder that at the end of the day this program is a business and I strongly think you should be wary of the false promises that are made.

I don’t want any future students to go through the same disappointment that me and so many other high performing in-state students went through, so if you are considering this program and have any questions, please feel free to message me.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, also a former med master who was screwed over by this program. I am an instate VA resident who scored above a 3.8 in the program and had an mcat that was also in their med master accepted range. I was lied to throughout the entire year and no one warned us about how petty the admin is when it comes to instate med master students. They accepted several students who had below average stats (3.4/3.5) just because of their out of state residency. I even met with the director to ask if there were any flaws in my app and they had nothing they could point out. Additionally one of the admins made me feel miserable when I called them out for only accepting out of state residents that had below average stats than me.
It was heartbreaking because I had given my all to this program.
I am glad I moved on to another school because given the trauma I had my med master year I wouldve never believed them. They did accept instate students the following year but those students did not deserve to waste one year of their life + a year of attending salary when they performed above average the entire year. Please dm me as well with any questions you may have. Also, do not be blinded by the 503 mcat requirement. Yes you will get an interview but they will not accept you if you have below a 508/509.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this info is available, but does anyone know how many Med Master's students got into the medical school in recent years? I've heard that the likelihood of getting in has gone down quite a bit, but haven't seen any numbers

Recently got accepted into the 2 year med masters program for Fall 2023!

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this info is available, but does anyone know how many Med Master's students got into the medical school in recent years? I've heard that the likelihood of getting in has gone down quite a bit, but haven't seen any numbers
Not exactly. It's more of hearing through friends. But yeah the numbers seem to be going down but I think last yr was also a smaller cohort than my hear (2020). Evms also reserves the right to not fill all the available spots from MM to M1.

Hi, also a former med master who was screwed over by this program. I am an instate VA resident who scored above a 3.8 in the program and had an mcat that was also in their med master accepted range. I was lied to throughout the entire year and no one warned us about how petty the admin is when it comes to instate med master students. They accepted several students who had below average stats (3.4/3.5) just because of their out of state residency. I even met with the director to ask if there were any flaws in my app and they had nothing they could point out. Additionally one of the admins made me feel miserable when I called them out for only accepting out of state residents that had below average stats than me.
It was heartbreaking because I had given my all to this program.
I am glad I moved on to another school because given the trauma I had my med master year I wouldve never believed them. They did accept instate students the following year but those students did not deserve to waste one year of their life + a year of attending salary when they performed above average the entire year. Please dm me as well with any questions you may have. Also, do not be blinded by the 503 mcat requirement. Yes you will get an interview but they will not accept you if you have below a 508/509.
Hi! I wanted to message you but wasn't able to, would you be able to shoot me a message so I can ask some questions? I am in-state and planning on applying to the MM1 program next year.