singh0113

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Hi,

Reading the interview feedback section regarding EVMS interviews scares me. Has anyone interviewd at EVMS and found it to be inordinately stressful? If you have interviewed at EVMS, how was your interview experience? Any tips for the interview? Does anyone know their stats (inteviewed, acceptanced, matriculated etc.) for out of state applicants? Thanks.

benfolds21

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
Hey I am an Out of state applicant.

I interviewed two weeks ago and received my acceptance this afternoon.

While the interview is difficult, I was well prepared knowing everything they would probably ask. Just use SDN to brush up on the bioethics questiosn that they WILL ask. Also, if you google "university of washington" "bioethics", you should find a great website with tons of case studies. I printed those out and read them on the airplane. Be familiar with the "role of a physician" and the "normal day of a physician". DEFINITELY know the answer to "why EVMS?".

I think that is it.

As far as acceptance rates, I think they interview roughly 500-550 applicants, accept 250 and about 110 matriculate. Out of the 110, 60% is in state.

singh0113 said:
Hi,

Reading the interview feedback section regarding EVMS interviews scares me. Has anyone interviewd at EVMS and found it to be inordinately stressful? If you have interviewed at EVMS, how was your interview experience? Any tips for the interview? Does anyone know their stats (inteviewed, acceptanced, matriculated etc.) for out of state applicants? Thanks.

madi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2005
Status
singh0113 said:
Hi,

Hi singh,

There have been a couple of threads created to deal with EVMS-specific issues, so I'd recommend you search the site (with google, if the SDN search is down when you go to use it).

I can give you my own experience as well. I interviewed at EVMS at the end of September and found it to be less threatening than was described in previous years. EVMS appears to be aware of their reputation for creating tense interview settings, and I think they've tried to improve that. Though my entire interview was question after question about health care policy reform, big pharma, and ethical issues, they asked the questions in a friendly, yet probing, way.

My best recommendation is to gain a familiarity with these issues before you go to the interview so you can feel comfortable when they start grilling you. I'd recommend the University of Washington ethics site to handle all the ethics questions, and then I'd take a look at the health care reform and health care policy sections of the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, etc. You don't need to be an expert, and it's okay to say that you just don't have an answer, but it's always better to feel like you've prepared. :)

Good-luck!!

xraygray

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status
i cant speak for others, but last year my interview at evms was about 10/10 most stressful. it was supposed to be three person panel interview but there were only 2 people there at the beginning ( an MS1 and a doctor) whom were both really friendly. it was going really well and pretty laid back but they have a sheet of paper in front of them with questions they are supposed to ask you with a 1-5 scoring system next to the question. my interviewers actually scored me while i was talking to them and i could see what they were circling so that was kind of flustering (but they were circling mostly 5's and 4's which bolstered my confidence.) anyways, about halfway through the interview the 3rd interviewer finally showed up and man i wish he wouldn't have. he came in introduced himself and sat down. he then re-asked some of the questions i had already been asked by the other interviewers (ie why do you want to be a doctor, what kind of doctor, 10 years from now...blah blah) which kind of threw me off but whatever. then they got into really detailed ethical questions and no matter what i said the 3rd interview would completely hammer me then change the circumstances. for example, hypothetical patient with certain horrible disease with no chance of survival wants you to "ease her pain"...what do you do? i answer. well what if it is someone you know? i answer. well what if it is your own mother. i say something like i could understand what you the patient is going through but unfortunately could do nothing to alleviate it. the 3rd interviewer all of a sudden bursts out "how could you possibly understand what she is going through, have you ever...insert horrible conditions of the horrible disease...what possibly makes you think that you could relate to what she is going through?" anyways, i held my ground and the interview went well for the most part but i also left wanting to punch the 3rd interviewer in the face.

however...i also interviewed there this year (got waitlisted last year) and it wasn't so bad. i only had two interviewers (the whole time i was waiting for someone else to come in but no-one ever did) and they were both super friendly and respectful. plus last years interview must have gone really well because i ran into the MS1 interviewer from last year and she remembered me and said she was surprised when she didn't see me at the beginning of classes this year.

i think last years class had about 2000+ out of stated applicants, interviewed somewhere aroud 300 and accepted like 37...may want to check msar though.

i liked the school a lot though. the whole day was really well organized, the students, faculty, and staff were all extremely friendly and helpful, and norfolk seems like a cooler city than i had expected.

i found out two weeks ago that i got accepted so im still pretty pumped.
my stats- out of state (nc), mcat 28P, GPA 3.6. that should probably give you some confidence going into the interview day.

sorry for the long post. good luck.

OP
S

singh0113

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Thanks to everyone for the info.

Med01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
Status
Nas23 said:
Do you need to take anything for the interview? I know some schools ask to bring a photo for them to attach to your file. Does EVMS have any requirements?

Thanks
EVMS asked you to attach photos to your secondary. Beyond that, they didn't have any requirements for things to bring.

Just brought an extra copy of AMCAS in case but didn't need it.

MDCali

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2005
Status
Hey I'm an out of state applicant who interviewed at EVMS almost two weeks ago. I'm still waiting to hear from them. My best advice is to prepare!!!! They will ask you difficult questions and you will have to back up everything you say. The interviewers were extremely friendly, yet the student interviewer asked difficult questions and probed all my answers. Just know your application, ethics, healthcare etc. And relax, everyone is guaranteed to have a stressful interview there, unlike other schools where some people get easy interviews and other get stressful ones due to luck! Hope this helps!