Ex-Neurosurgery Arnold Chiari & Syringomyelia

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DOEnthusiast, Aug 6, 2015.

1. DOEnthusiast

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi I don't really know if this is the right place to post this but I start med school pretty soon (next term). I was diagnosed w/ Syringomyelia and Arnold-Chiari malformation type 2 when I was 12 (currently 19). I'm not sure how many people are familiar with the disease but Wikipedia honestly describes both very well. I was wondering opinions on going the neurosurgery route and if it is really worth it because my life expectancy is lower than the average persons and I don't want to waste 12+ years learning neurosurgery myself to have weakness of hands and not be able to perform at my highest caliber (potentially quit). Syringomyelia damages the nerves of the spinal cord throughout time**

I was looking for some opinions of people in the same spot. My fallback is becoming a lawyer and I have stellar LSAT scores already and could pretty much get into all my state schools.

TLDR; Have a disease that damages nerves. Should I study for years for (most likely) very little time being a surgeon or fallback to lawyer?

2. JustaDO

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A good amount of my classmates started out last year thinking they were going into ortho,derm, etc. Now, they are just hoping to pass the boards at best.

NS is one of the tougher specialities out there to match into, so I would more about doing well in school before worrying about 4 years down the road.

3. Merely

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're asking us if its worth it? Thats a very personal decision that you have to decide, not one for us to help you make.

4. ortnakas

ortnakas DO PGY-1
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why are those the only two options? You're sitting on a spot in med school, not neurosurgery school, and there's a lot of other specialties out there to consider.

5. NeuroMaster316

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Unless there is a treatment, which judging by your post isn't, I suggest you not *waste* a large portion of your life on neurosurgery. But that doesn't mean you should quit medicine all together, there are other fields that require shorter training. Ultimately, it comes down to you and what makes you happy and you and your doctor know best how this will affect your motor skills.

6. Psai

Psai Snitches get zero vicryl
    Physician 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    BurghStudent and xffan624 like this.