Exactly how early is early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MDsomeday22

When should I have my AMCAS application complete for it to be considered "early"? Are we talking no later than August?

Those of you currently applying: When did you have your application complete?

Members don't see this ad.

if your app is in before the beginning of August then you should be fine. Ideally, it should be submitted before July.

In general, the earlier you apply, the earlier you will be accepted. It doesn't seem to matter now, but if schools start accepting people a month or two before you hear it is not very fun. Try to apply by the end of June and you will be in good shape. If your school ends in early May, use May to fill out AMCAS (personal statement will be the chunk of time) and then apply as soon as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
if your app is in before the beginning of August then you should be fine. Ideally, it should be submitted before July.
Sound advice. The distinction between someone who clicks submit in early june versus early July is pretty negligible. But I'd try to get it in before August.

Sound advice. The distinction between someone who clicks submit in early june versus early July is pretty negligible. But I'd try to get it in before August.

I'm glad there are no more tumbleweeds...

Agreed. Make sure it's complete by August, and make sure your LORs are ready to go out as soon as the secondaries start arriving. Don't sit around waiting for months for a busy prof to scribble down a letter for you.

I should have looked at this thread before posting my question. Thank you all for your help!

So do LOR's not have to be mailed until you get a letter for an interview(thinking that is the same as a "Secondary")??

So do LOR's not have to be mailed until you get a letter for an interview(thinking that is the same as a "Secondary")??

I think for most schools you need to send your LORs with the secondary (or shortly thereafter). Most schools won't consider your file complete until they have LORs and your file must be complete before they'll review it to determine if you're granted an interview. There are a few exceptions to this, meaning that some schools don't have a secondary at all and I know of at least one that requests the secondary *after* they've invited you for an interview.

In my opinion, your best bet is to send your LORs to all non-screening schools shortly after or as soon as your AMCAS is verified and upon receipt of any secondaries from schools that screen. I know that my letter service takes 10-15 days to send my letters once they're requested, so if I have to reapply I will be ordering my LORs for all non-screening schools the minute my ACMAS is verified, if not a bit before.

A secondary is not an interview invitation. A secondary is a second application sent to applicants via e-mail/regular mail by individual schools after they have received your AMCAS primary application. Some schools offer secondaries to all students, others will select specific students to receive secondaries. You have to pay a fee, usually write a few essays, and maybe some miscellaneous paperwork. That is when you send in your LORs.

A secondary is not an interview invitation. A secondary is a second application sent to applicants via e-mail/regular mail by individual schools after they have received your AMCAS primary application. Some schools offer secondaries to all students, others will select specific students to receive secondaries. You have to pay a fee, usually write a few essays, and maybe some miscellaneous paperwork. That is when you send in your LORs.
the money is really what they are looking for

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, I submitted my AMCAS on 7/24/06, got verified on 8/18... just to give you an idea of the time-frame involved at that particular time in the app. season. If I remember correctly, some time around the middle of August, I called and the guy I spoke to told me they had about 17k apps submitted at that time.

the money is really what they are looking for

Secondaries that are BLATANT rip-offs:

NYMC - $100
SUNY Buffalo - $65

Some are also obvious wallet-grabs, but what's even more annoying is that they ask you to write info that IS ALREADY IN YOUR AMCAS.

NYU - $100
SUNY Upstate - $75
Albert Einstein - $100
Drexel - $75

So basically some schools use secondaries as a screening tool to narrow down the field, while other schools just use it for recognition saying they received your amcas application and want more money before they look it over? All this before deciding if they think you are good enough to come in for an interview?

In my opinion, your best bet is to send your LORs to all non-screening schools shortly after or as soon as your AMCAS is verified and upon receipt of any secondaries from schools that screen. I know that my letter service takes 10-15 days to send my letters once they're requested, so if I have to reapply I will be ordering my LORs for all non-screening schools the minute my ACMAS is verified, if not a bit before.

How do we find out which schools are nonscreening and so send the LOR in before the secondaries. Is this information available for all schools somewhere.

My friend who was applying said that it was best to get your application in before the July 4th weekend.

When should I have my AMCAS application complete for it to be considered "early"? Are we talking no later than August?

Those of you currently applying: When did you have your application complete?

Yes. Have all of your secondaries submitted and paid for, and all of your LORs mailed in and an available MCAT score before August 1 and you are officially early. Sure you could wait longer, but there is no reason to wait. The earlier you apply, the less stress you will have come March and April.

Okay, how then does it work with LORs? If you apply to 15 medical schools, do you actually have send your LORs to each of those medical schools? I mean you are not going to ask your professor to write 15 letters, right?

Sorry about the questions, but I'm not familiar with this part of the application process.

Applying early means applying soon after the beginning date. A month or two later does not count.

Secondaries that are BLATANT rip-offs:

NYMC - $100
SUNY Buffalo - $65

Some are also obvious wallet-grabs, but what's even more annoying is that they ask you to write info that IS ALREADY IN YOUR AMCAS.

NYU - $100
SUNY Upstate - $75
Albert Einstein - $100
Drexel - $75
RFU was asking for $95 as well.

Okay, how then does it work with LORs? If you apply to 15 medical schools, do you actually have send your LORs to each of those medical schools? I mean you are not going to ask your professor to write 15 letters, right?

Sorry about the questions, but I'm not familiar with this part of the application process.
Hopefully you'll use your school's pre-med office, which will just upload them on teh internet and the schools can download them.

If you choose not to do that, you can set the program up yourself using Interfolio. I have no experience with this route, but others on here do.