Exactly how well do we have to do this last quarter/semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instigata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most conditions of acceptance for medical schools (if not all), state that you have to maintain your grades. Well, what exactly do they mean by "maintain?" Is it relative to your overall GPA..so if you have a 4.0 and you get a 3.0 for your last quarter, you aren't maintaining your GPA as opposed to somebody who has a 3.1 and gets a 3.0. What tends to be the cutoff...I know I know this is annoying but senioritis is really getting to me :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yea tell me about it,
senioritis is really getting out of hand.
I think its especially bad for people that werent
serious students in high school.
I would say to be safe just try not to have anything lower than a B
in any classes, so no one raises any eyebrows.
Unless it is something really noticable, I think schools do realize
that people tend to relax during their last semester in college
whether applying to medical school or not.

Yea tell me about it,
senioritis is really getting out of hand.
I think its especially bad for people that werent
serious students in high school.
I would say to be safe just try not to have anything lower than a B
in any classes, so no one raises any eyebrows.
Unless it is something really noticable, I think schools do realize
that people tend to relax during their last semester in college
whether applying to medical school or not.

Tell me about it.

I was a much more serious student back when I was in high school than I am now. I've become such a slacker. I've been staring at my notes for my two exams on Thursday all day long and I've only gotten 1 chapter read. It sucks. I want to study but I don't really want to, if that makes any sense. I want to make myself study but I can't seem to actually do it.

Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most conditions of acceptance for medical schools (if not all), state that you have to maintain your grades. Well, what exactly do they mean by "maintain?" Is it relative to your overall GPA..so if you have a 4.0 and you get a 3.0 for your last quarter, you aren't maintaining your GPA as opposed to somebody who has a 3.1 and gets a 3.0. What tends to be the cutoff...I know I know this is annoying but senioritis is really getting to me :(

Somewhere hidden in the search function is a heartstopping thread from last year in which a guy came *this* close to losing his acceptance to Johns Hopkins by getting an F in his last semester. I don't think B's would kill you, but I wouldn't get C's if I were you.

Somewhere hidden in the search function is a heartstopping thread from last year in which a guy came *this* close to losing his acceptance to Johns Hopkins by getting an F in his last semester. I don't think B's would kill you, but I wouldn't get C's if I were you.

Do you think 1 or 2 C's in the last 2 semesters would be bad enough to take back an acceptance? senioritis is a dangerous disease...

Do you think 1 or 2 C's in the last 2 semesters would be bad enough to take back an acceptance? senioritis is a dangerous disease...

anyone? with an answer? 2 C's? I doubt it...but does anyone have any more information?

By "maintaining" most med schools just require that you DO NOT FAIL any of your remaining classes. So lets say you have a 4.0 GPA and got accepted to med school, but in your last semester (after acceptance) you got all C's. In that case you might not have any problems as you will graduate at any rate. Now if you got an F, then there you are in deep doo doo. Most likely you will not be able to retake the course before you start med school and so will not have graduated. As many schools require a at least a bachelors before entering that in itself disqualifies you as you have not fulfilled their requirements.
This is very general of course, not all med schools are as strict about this. Johns Hopkins and the Ivies WILL disqualify you, while some state schools might not. I know that maintaining your motivation to excel might be a bit difficult AFTER you have been accepted, but try to keep up those habits that got you there in the first place. Trust me when I say once med school starts off running at a breathless pace. you might have it easy in the first week, but thats all. So maintaining excellent study habits is a very good idea.

Yea after reading all the posts about this subject...i think the safest thing to do is just keep on truckin these last couple weeks...i'll have plenty of time to play in the summer

Thanks for all the responses guys, you have motivated me to aim for C's/B's instead of A's/B's :p I just hope the schools that I am waitlisted at don't ask me for an update of my grades.

Just get C's or higher in everything. Although straight C's might raise some eyebrows. Shoot for B's and higher.

The one caveat to all of the above advice is if you still have any pre-reqs left that you're taking. DEFINTELY B or higher in those.

Why do I feel like such a slacker for getting Bs???? :(

This process has made me so anal about grades. Ugh.