exactly what is "research" experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efjayen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry for this lame question but what do you all consider as research experience? What is a typical first-time lab job (like might it just consist of DNA digests, sequencing, maintaining cultures, and of course, keeping glassware clean)?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a lot of first-timers in my lab and they do much more than clean glassware. Digests, PCR are usually for starters, but soon they're doing Southerns, sequencing, SSCP and such. After a few months, even a little tissue culture comes in. It all depends on the student of course. Lab experience to me would be even just a fraction of this stuff. As long as you know what the project is and have a general understanding of what you're doing (and be able to verbalize it) I'd say you're doing fine. Washing flasks is not research experience.

Andrew

Research experience consists of learning at least 15 different ways of explaining why your experiments haven't worked without sounding like you stuffed them up. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by tidy_kiwi:
•Research experience consists of learning at least 15 different ways of explaining why your experiments haven't worked without sounding like you stuffed them up. :D •••

Couldn't agree more. :D

Seriously, though. I go to a small school, and first-time researchers are usually given a fair bit of stuff to do around here. Perhaps it's different at a large research university.

People here get to do a lot and its a large research university. Just my two cents :) Take the time to find a lab that does work that you like though and that you won't be bored in.....

I did clinical research. So basically I was in an academic clinical setting working with patients and patient charts. I liked that better than working in a lab. I guess I'm just not cut out for working in a lab. I'd rather work with people. So if you feel the same way, clinical research is an option you might consider. Reasearch is research, and clinical is not looked upon any less than "lab" research.

Hope this opens some pathways

altaskier, how exactly did you become involved in clinical research? How did you hear about it and what steps did you take to get such a position?

I just got everything finalized for my Chemistry research course. At my school, a research course (3 hours) is available to senior Chemistry majors. It sounds so exciting and I just can't wait to get started. The research team I am joining is working on drug design for cancer treatment. It sounds so sci-fi. I can't wait til I see someone I haven't seen in a while and they ask what I have been doing. I will be able to honestly say, "Oh, just workin' on curing cancer." And it won't even be a lie. That's pretty funny.