1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

exactly what is "research" experience?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by efjayen, Jan 8, 2002.

1. efjayen

efjayen Member
    7+ Year Member

sorry for this lame question but what do you all consider as research experience? What is a typical first-time lab job (like might it just consist of DNA digests, sequencing, maintaining cultures, and of course, keeping glassware clean)?

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've had a lot of first-timers in my lab and they do much more than clean glassware. Digests, PCR are usually for starters, but soon they're doing Southerns, sequencing, SSCP and such. After a few months, even a little tissue culture comes in. It all depends on the student of course. Lab experience to me would be even just a fraction of this stuff. As long as you know what the project is and have a general understanding of what you're doing (and be able to verbalize it) I'd say you're doing fine. Washing flasks is not research experience.

Andrew

4. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Research experience consists of learning at least 15 different ways of explaining why your experiments haven't worked without sounding like you stuffed them up. :D

5. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

6. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

People here get to do a lot and its a large research university. Just my two cents :) Take the time to find a lab that does work that you like though and that you won't be bored in.....

7. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

I did clinical research. So basically I was in an academic clinical setting working with patients and patient charts. I liked that better than working in a lab. I guess I'm just not cut out for working in a lab. I'd rather work with people. So if you feel the same way, clinical research is an option you might consider. Reasearch is research, and clinical is not looked upon any less than "lab" research.

Hope this opens some pathways

8. b-real

b-real What, me worry?
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    altaskier, how exactly did you become involved in clinical research? How did you hear about it and what steps did you take to get such a position?

9. mongoose

mongoose Membership Revoked
    Removed

I just got everything finalized for my Chemistry research course. At my school, a research course (3 hours) is available to senior Chemistry majors. It sounds so exciting and I just can't wait to get started. The research team I am joining is working on drug design for cancer treatment. It sounds so sci-fi. I can't wait til I see someone I haven't seen in a while and they ask what I have been doing. I will be able to honestly say, "Oh, just workin' on curing cancer." And it won't even be a lie. That's pretty funny.