Shoushu

5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I've never been to test center. Just wondering, for those who have been to the frontline, I've a few Qs. Thank You in Advance.

1. How cold/warm is the test center, temperature-wise? allowed extra clothes? what happens if I pull sweaters off?

2. Are desktops of examinees separated by wood/plastic/whatever dividers (seems like a good thing since there'd be people typing, and preventing others cheating by looking on neighbor's screen?)

3. How many test-takers in a room? And do they start the same-time, or since they'll check you in 1-by-1, will someone be typing wildly while you're answer physical sciences?

4. Snacking/drink/Bathroom. easy to do these? Or do you recommend not to do them?

Shoushu

5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
sorry another quick. MCAT tomorrow

Should I bring my wallet? is there locked locker or can $ be stolen?

Help, name/ID PROBLEM.

I registered on AAMC, and they had blank for middle name, which I filled in. BUT my IDs only show First Name Last Name. These two names match. If it's not exactly, can I be admitted in by bringing my James Smith ID when the LIST has James Anderson Smith.

I Don't wanna drive 3 hours, and have them tell me "You can't take it, your ID doesn't display middle. Whoever the heck you are." "Look kid, the Examinee List says we can admit a James Anderson Smith, but your driver ID says James Smith."

The above is an illustrative example, to show how I filled the First, Middle, Last fields on AAMC site.

But I can't prove I'm J. A. S. My IDs show: James Smith. 6 Feet 2, Brown hair. Brown eyes. Home Address, DOB, and Sig though.

Last edited:

catswym

MS-4
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2009
Status
Non-Student
I've never been to test center. Just wondering, for those who have been to the frontline, I've a few Qs. Thank You in Advance.

1. How cold/warm is the test center, temperature-wise? allowed extra clothes? what happens if I pull sweaters off?

2. Are desktops of examinees separated by wood/plastic/whatever dividers (seems like a good thing since there'd be people typing, and preventing others cheating by looking on neighbor's screen?)

3. How many test-takers in a room? And do they start the same-time, or since they'll check you in 1-by-1, will someone be typing wildly while you're answer physical sciences?

4. Snacking/drink/Bathroom. easy to do these? Or do you recommend not to do them?
I can only answer for my test center so...

I too was concerned about temp. Get there early to see how you feel in the waiting room. Have a sweater or something with you that you can take off and stow in the locker if you feel the test center is warm but can keep on if you feel cool. You can't take anything off in the testing area so that is why it is good to get there early.

Yes you are separated by little dividers.

There are a lot in the room and yes, you do start at different times. This really threw me off as I didn't expect it and I screwed up in the PS section because of it. They have headphones and earplugs available but I find those more distracting than the noise so you should practice however you think you want to take it (either wearing earplugs or having a friend nearby typing away and getting up and down).

You have a break between each section. There is plenty of time to use the bathroom, get a drink and have a snack if you want it. Don't stress about that part.

catswym

MS-4
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2009
Status
Non-Student

Help, name/ID PROBLEM.

I registered on AAMC, and they had blank for middle name, which I filled in. BUT my IDs only show First Name Last Name. These two names match. If it's not exactly, can I be admitted in by bringing my James Smith ID when the LIST has James Anderson Smith.

I Don't wanna drive 3 hours, and have them tell me "You can't take it, your ID doesn't display middle. Whoever the heck you are." "Look kid, the Examinee List says we can admit a James Anderson Smith, but your driver ID says James Smith."

The above is an illustrative example, to show how I filled the First, Middle, Last fields on AAMC site.

But I can't prove I'm J. A. S. My IDs show: James Smith. 6 Feet 2, Brown hair. Brown eyes. Home Address, DOB, and Sig though.
yes, they have a locker with a key (at least at my place) where you can store whatever. I mean, i wouldn't bring anything too valuable but your wallet should be fine.

I would try to find something that matched exactly. Do you have a passport? That usually has first last and middle names on it.

tribe86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Help, name/ID PROBLEM.

Hey, I did the same thing and freaked out about it the other day, too! But if you go to the AAMC registration site, it says clearly that only the first and last name must match your ID. Direct quote from the site:

"Important: The names you enter in the First and Last name fields must match the names listed on the government-issued ID you bring with you on test day to verify your identity."

I wouldn't worry about it too much! Good luck on your MCAT!!

tribe86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Help, name/ID PROBLEM.

Ok, I think I'm officially getting too anal about this, but I had to call AAMC with another question about registration just now, so I went ahead and double-checked about the middle name thing.. Definitely doesn't matter, so you are good to go!

And in case anyone's wondering, it also doesn't matter if the address you provided for registration doesn't match the address on your ID.

Good luck everyone! Taking mine in a week...!

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Don't worry about the middle name thing, I did the same as you.

For the breaks, definitely take them and go to the bathroom and have a snack. I don't understand what in the world people are thinking when they skip the breaks. Also, don't be too concerned about time. I took longer than ten minutes and the computer says time is up but still waits for you.

Shoushu

5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Also, don't be too concerned about time. I took longer than ten minutes and the computer says time is up but still waits for you.
Thanks. I called too, and they said don't worry about the name thing.

Yeah, the real MCATs from emcat.com wait for you even if you go over 10 minutes, but I'd definitely fingerprint myself back in time and wait, and stretch, I paid for the entire 6 hours or so, haha

Oncoloman

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't worry about the middle name thing, I did the same as you.

For the breaks, definitely take them and go to the bathroom and have a snack. I don't understand what in the world people are thinking when they skip the breaks. Also, don't be too concerned about time. I took longer than ten minutes and the computer says time is up but still waits for you.
Seriously? When I took it the timer automatically started after the break time was up. True about breaks though...so stupid not to do so. Everyone in the testing center decided to skip most of theirs...just don't get it.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
How did it start right away? Didn't you have the page that had the instructions before the section timer actually started? For two of the breaks I just sat there for a bit after it said time was up and didn't do anything. On the other break I didn't even make it back to the room in time.