Exam Krackers vs. Princeton Review books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sindee1984

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I took the MCAT the 1st time, I took the Princeton Review course. I am retaking the MCAT with the goal of improving my lousy verbal score, and I am thinking about using Exam Krackers. I know there are Exam Krackers review books that come in a package, and there are Exam Krackers 1001 Questions books for each subject. Since I still have all the Princeton Review books, should I still purchase the Exam Krackers review books, or should I only purchase the 1001 Questions books? Or both? Please tell me why. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When I took the MCAT the 1st time, I took the Princeton Review course. I am retaking the MCAT with the goal of improving my lousy verbal score, and I am thinking about using Exam Krackers. I know there are Exam Krackers review books that come in a package, and there are Exam Krackers 1001 Questions books for each subject. Since I still have all the Princeton Review books, should I still purchase the Exam Krackers review books, or should I only purchase the 1001 Questions books? Or both? Please tell me why. Thanks.

If you're only (or mainly) trying to increase your verbal score, I'd recommend saving some cash and just getting the 1001 EK verbal book. Afterall, the best thing for verbal is just practice, practice, practice.

The TPR science workbook is great for practice problems especially for physical sciences. EK is the best for studying the essential concepts for the MCAT for physics, chem, and bio. Stick to the EK verbal method, trust me, it should improve your verbal score - getting the main idea and understanding the author's argument. Don't use TPR verbal strategies. EK's 1001 questions are helpful,but do not necessarily reflect the MCAT passage format (except for biology). However, it helps you discover which concepts are difficult for you. This test is designed to test your problem solving ability using the general concepts you know and EK provides all the necessary concepts. TPR is a little bit more detailed than EK,but stick to EK. Memorize all the physics formulas and extract information from the passage and you should be fine. The most essential thing is to do practice exams and figure out which questions you are consistently missing and why. Concepts is key and EK delivers while TPR is more detailed. If you can get the Nova Physics Book, that will be great! :) Also, for verbal practice is key and EK 101 Passages is TERRIFIC! Good luck to you and don't give up!!! :)

I recommend just buying the EK Verbal 1001 book.

I would use the TPR books for the sciences. They are more detailed than the EK, but I like the detail. Also, why buy the extra books if you are fine with the sciences. Just a waste of money in that case!

Just practice the verbal and try to be an active reader and really get into the passage. I found this helped me in the verbal.

When I prepared for MCAT in 2005, I used EK 101 book heavily and it really did help me a lot with my verbal score (I got 9). Do you guys think I should go through and practice with EK 101 verbal book again. The problem is - when I read a passage now, I remember the contents. So, its not going to be a very good simulation of MCAT. What would you suggest ?

I recommend just buying the EK Verbal 1001 book.

I would use the TPR books for the sciences. They are more detailed than the EK, but I like the detail. Also, why buy the extra books if you are fine with the sciences. Just a waste of money in that case!

Just practice the verbal and try to be an active reader and really get into the passage. I found this helped me in the verbal.