Exam questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeyThereJude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked some of these in the Step 1 forum, but I think most people who read that forum haven't actually taken the test yet, so I thought I would try over here.

1. Has anyone heard about how the "fake" questions on the real exam, those questions that are being tested for future exams and will not really be part of your score; they seem very mysterious to me - how many are there - 46? are they all in one of the 7 sections, or scattered around in all 7 sections?

2. On the test day how is it picked where you sit - I was stuck right my the entrance door for the MCAT, and it bothered me since I am highly distractable

3. Is the practice section that we can pay to take at the exam center the same questions as the free 150 questions offered by NBME online?

4. Do any of the NBME exams that are offered have answers/descriptions following the exam? is there anywhere to find such answers?

5. If someone were to take the test on a Tuesday, does that mean they would get the results on the Wednesday 2 weeks and 1 day later? (they say 3 Wednesdays after your exam is when you get the results)

6. Any suggestions on how to use the break time from people have already finished the exam?

7. Any other helpful suggestions/things you wish you would have known/done about scheduling/seating/test centers/etc ... all advice is really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If someone were to take the test on a Tuesday, does that mean they would get the results on the Wednesday 2 weeks and 1 day later? (they say 3 Wednesdays after your exam is when you get the results)

Neuroticism to a new level. :laugh:

GL on your exam though. :luck:

I asked some of these in the Step 1 forum, but I think most people who read that forum haven't actually taken the test yet, so I thought I would try over here.

1. Has anyone heard about how the "fake" questions on the real exam, those questions that are being tested for future exams and will not really be part of your score; they seem very mysterious to me - how many are there - 46? are they all in one of the 7 sections, or scattered around in all 7 sections?

No idea. Don't think that info is released

2. On the test day how is it picked where you sit - I was stuck right my the entrance door for the MCAT, and it bothered me since I am highly distractable

Seems completely random

3. Is the practice section that we can pay to take at the exam center the same questions as the free 150 questions offered by NBME online?

I think it's different but not sure. Only did the free 150

4. Do any of the NBME exams that are offered have answers/descriptions following the exam? is there anywhere to find such answers?

There are answers but no explanations

5. If someone were to take the test on a Tuesday, does that mean they would get the results on the Wednesday 2 weeks and 1 day later? (they say 3 Wednesdays after your exam is when you get the results)

Yes I think so

6. Any suggestions on how to use the break time from people have already finished the exam?

Walk around, get fresh air, clear your head, snack. I took a break between every section for at least 5 minutes but never took a break longer than 15. Do full length practice tests (2 NBME's or 1 NBME + 1 UW to get to 8 blocks) and see what works best for you. I had friends do 2-3 blocks at a time but I liked to hit reset after each block and mentally refresh.

7. Any other helpful suggestions/things you wish you would have known/done about scheduling/seating/test centers/etc ... all advice is really appreciated!

Talk to upperclassmen at your school and see what sites they took it at and what they thought about it. I looked for a nice site in the suburbs (vs the city) that would be quiet and have newer computers.

Good luck