Examkrackers 1001 Biology questions book - please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpenn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on this book? From reviews I've read on amazon it seems to get mixed responses ranging from it was excellent and really helpful to comments that it contained many errors and some of the answers they deemed correct were in fact wrong when students took them to their biology or physiology professors thus causing the book to do more harm than good in the end. Is it really worth it to go through this book then or just read the Examkrackers Biology content review book in the complete study package and do biology passages from the TPR Science Workbook instead? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

EK Bio 1001 was easier than the real exam and the AAMCs. I would say it was not very representative and you should do it if you have the extra time or you are just bored and dying to do MCAT passages.
The problem with 1001 was that some of the answers were present verbatim inside the passages and you just had to find it. The real test requires you to think through the questions carefully and reason out the answers.
The TPR Science Workbook and the EK 30-minute quizzes were much more similar to the real test. I highly recommend these two, especially the Science workbook. And of course the AAMCs.

i think the ek books are good to solidify your concepts. i like the kaplan subject tests better for passages. i dont think the ek bio or verbal are bad as they are passage based. but i agree that it is important to do many passages which ek chem, orgo, and phsyiccs do not offer you. i still like the books though!

I don't think ek 1001 bio is all that easy, as BlueElmo says, but it does require very little thinking. Most of the answers ARE sprinkled verbatim throughout the passages... the only problem is that the passages aren't the easiest things to understand sometimes. In the end, I noticed that most of the questions (even the passage-based ones) ended up being pseudo-discrete questions (as Kaplan would call them). But they are useful in getting a different perspective on bio. I've been studying bio only from kaplan, and obviously you can't guarantee that kaplan has all its bases covered in bio, so it's good to see bio from other companies. I'd recommend it. heck, it's more practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The book is great.. I disagree on it being too easy and scored 14 on BS. You still need to take official practice exams to get a feel for the real thing, but Bio EK1001 is excellent content review and practice.

Great feedback on this thread.

Sounds like EK Bio 1001, Kaplan Biological Sciences [passage-based] section tests, and TPR Science Workbook are most highly recommended.

Do you all [who say its easy but good practice] recommend EK Bio 1001 to solidify basic concepts? Or use Kaplan or TPR additionally/primarily?