ExamKrackers 1001 Questions in Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope48

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this book help for the MCAT? It has passages and discrete questions. Can doing these problems help for the real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone think that the 1001 biology questions are harder or easier than the real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone think that the 1001 biology questions are harder or easier than the real MCAT?

I thought they were roughly the same, but a lot of people thought the version I took on Jan 27th was slightly on the difficult side.

the 1001 biology is really hard in my opinion. Excessively harder than the real MCAT. I stopped doing the passages b/c they took too long and weren't really helping me out too much. Look at the practice tests and the 1001, really different beasts. The EK Verbal 101 was more accurate in my opinion.

I took the 1/27 test, and the bio section was a bit difficult, but nowhere close to the 1001. I think there were a couple of difficult bio passages b/c they made the ochem passages pretty straightforward and easy; and there has to be at least a couple difficult passages in the bio section.

Hmm... I think biology's about the same difficulty. However, even if its too hard, that would be a great thing because it would really test whether you knew the concepts or not right?

Hmm... I think biology's about the same difficulty. However, even if its too hard, that would be a great thing because it would really test whether you knew the concepts or not right?

I haven't taken the CBT yet...will in Sept., but I thought the EK 1001 bio passsages were not that hard...well maybe some but overall wasn't bad...

Does this book help for the MCAT? It has passages and discrete questions. Can doing these problems help for the real MCAT?

YES. I stand by all of the examkracker books. Just make sure that you double check your answers with their errata section on the EK website. The biology book has quite a few errors that you'll want to get straitened out before exam time.

Pay attention to the high yield facts at the back of the book!!!

I've got to be honest - I'm really digging the questions in The Princeton Review's "Hyperlearning MCAT Science Workbook." You can usually find it second-hand online if you look around for it (I think I found mine in the "for sale" forum of SDN). It is all passage-based, indexed by topic (i.e., microbiology, genetics, digestive system, etc.), and has about 80 passages each (with lots of discretes thrown in between passages) for bio chem, ochem and physics. Actually, 83 passages for Bio, 91 for chem, 60 for physics and 43 for ochem. They're not scored (i.e., they don't give you a scale or score when you're doing them), but I find that they're great practice and the explanations are pretty good. For whatever reason, I find myself turning more to this book than the 1001 series (particularly because it's mostly passage based, while only the EK 1001 bio book has passages), but I'm glad I have both for when I hit a topic that I find particularly problematic. G'luck!

YES. I stand by all of the examkracker books. Just make sure that you double check your answers with their errata section on the EK website. The biology book has quite a few errors that you'll want to get straitened out before exam time.

Pay attention to the high yield facts at the back of the book!!!

its always nice to know that a person with a 29 stands by a certain brand of books..

Okay how about this...

1001 EK Bio helped me raise my BS range

from 9-12, to a 13-15.

However, I agree that the EK review books do get much more praise than
they deserve.

The 1001 Bio and 101 verbal books are awesome though.